Default What's your favorite firefighting tactics book?

Let's hear it...There have been quite a few of them written over the years. Which text do you consider the best? Do the older books still cut it or should we be studying something more up to the moment?
    "Go ugly early."

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire Officers Handbook of Tactics by John Norman

Fireground Tactics by Emanual Fried is also good it has a lot of fireground truths that was appropriate 30 years ago, today, and will be good 30 years from now.

Safety and Survival on the fireground by Vincent Dunn is hands down the best I have read as well as his command and control of fires and emergencies!!
    "Firefighting is a team Sport, so know your place and do your job"

EuroFirefighter.com

There is no doubt about it - 'Fire Protection' by Sir Eyre Massey Shaw is the winner! When written in 1876 not many firemen could read - or if they could, few could afford it! But its a great text even now.......'In order to extinguish a fire properly, it is necessary for the firemen to approach it for the purpose of putting the water wherever it is most wanted........Any attempt to extinguish a fire from a distance almost invariably proves a failure'.......

Oh yeah - and anything by Vince Dunn is top notch - offering more practical tips on a page than some books have in their entire text.

I was brought up on the late Bill Clark (ex FDNY Battalion Chief) and always thought his work was practical and forward thinking.

Any book by Vincent Dunn, John Norman come to mind. Also the late William E Clark's book "Firefighting Principles and Practices, was written in the late 60's or early 70's, but much of the information contained in the book still holds true in todays world.

District Chief

Chief Brunacini's "Fire Ground Command"

Also...Chief Glenn Gaines (Fairfax County Va..retired) Garden Apartment Fires..
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information