Forum Member

Default Smart Power Generator

We are in the process of specing a new light rescue. One of the requirements is for a 6-8K hydraulic generator. We have received a set of specs from a manufacturer with a "Smart Power" 8K generator. They claim to have a problem with fitting a Winco but may be able to use an AMPS generator.

Does anyone have any experience with Smart Power generators? We have never heard of them.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have an AMPS on our two year old sagrave ariel and have had no problems with it and it is alot faster than traditional generators. push one button for power. Good luck specing your new truck..

Ray R.
    I am Scott Dixon with AMPS. I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have concerning the AMPS hydraulic generators. You may contact me at marketing@a-m-p-s.com
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Scott Dixon<br />Director of Sales & Marketing<br />AMPS

MembersZone Subscriber

Harrison makes a very nice hyd. gen. also, you should check them out. Good luck.

Forum Member

Thanks for the repies. We have decided to go with a separate engine driven generator on an E series chassis. You can not get the automatic transmisson on an E series with PTO. There is not enough room for it.

The 4 x 4 conversion has PTO on the transfer case but this would mean you have to have the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in drive for stationary operations. We felt that this could easily lead to a runaway vehicle from operator error.

Stay SAfe

MembersZone Subscriber

The 4 x 4 conversion has PTO on the transfer case but this would mean you have to have the transfer case in neutral and the tranny in drive for stationary operations. We felt that this could easily lead to a runaway vehicle from operator error.
    You would also have to disable or override the built in safety switch that keeps the OEM Engine Idler control from running the engine up unless the tranny is in park.

I speak from first hand experience from having a PTO Hydraulic system on an older F Series 4X4. This IS NOT the set up you want to have. I have no complaints with the actual Gen Set we had. As far as I'm concerned it performed flawlessly. However due to the complicated multi step system needed to engage and disengage the generator coupled with recurrent transmission problems - we finally ripped the whole system out and replaced it with a gas powered Gen Set on a roll out tray.

As far as I'm concerned - you made the best call. At this point - I would recommend a diesel generator supplied from the chassis fuel supply. 1 less tank to fill and one less chance of putting the wrong type of fuel in the wrong tank. (And unless they have changed since '97 - Ford already has a tap on the fuel tank for an Aux fuel pump & line for such an application)

Be sure to post pictures when you get the new rig built.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thread Information