MembersZone Subscriber

Default Where is your states Anti-Terror Money going?

"after all we are the FIRST RESPONDERS AND ALL OF THE FEDERAL MONEY IS GOING TO VA. STATE POLICE and some other agencies in Richmond."

I received this on an e-mail this morning. The legislative watchdogs on our local firefighters association found this out. I am sure the police need some of this money but we also need to prepare in case something else happens and I thought thatís what the federal money ear marked for anti-terror and terrorist response was supposed to help us with. I have seen no paperwork from the state telling departments about any funds available for any advanced training, equipment, etc. I have taken the awareness level class and it is very informative but it is tailored for responding to the guy in his basement making pipe bombs. We did get a flip book with some information on what to look out for but thatís it. How about your state? What has been made available to you and your department since 9-11? Any new classes, state grants, etc made available?
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

MembersZone Subscriber

We got money from two different sources.

From CDC we got money to set up epidemiology response teams which involve EMS, Fire, Public Health, Hospitals, and Law Enforcement. This was set up through the Texas Department of Health and was alloted to the health districts throughout the state. If you didn't have a health district or public health office you had to align with one and our county is in a Tri-county Team which consists of two counties without public health offices, and one that has one. I am a member of this team along with the different agencies listed above.

The money has created jobs for epidemiology response which is now concentrated on the West Nile Virus, and has also allowed our counties to enlist into the Health Alert Network for better response and bought the computers and subscriptions to the network. It also is for training, and the first thing we are concentrating on is Incident Command Training to bring Public Health into the fold of how it works and they are now included in our call outs for any incident (including hazmat) that impacts the public health of the citizens.

The second set of funds is coming in to our state and being handed out through the Council of Governments. This too is for all those listed above but it concentrates on responder equipment, radio inter-operability, and of course training for all responders of all agencies.

I am on the equipment committee for this group and we are outfitting every responder agency with certain equipment. As far as a list, I don't have one since we are being told how much we will have to spend and then we will work on what to get. There is a kind-of-sort-of wish list but nothing definite. But all agencies will benifit, and the equipment bought will not duplicate what is available through the health grant.

Training through the Texas Engineering Extension Servie (TEEX) has been made available to any agency that wants it. This is for Terrorism Response and Bioterrorist Incidents. This is from instructors at the National Response Center in College Station.

The Bureau of Emergency Management has bought a Jane's Chem-Bio Handbook for every Fire Department in the state and has sent them out. There is talk of a grant to outfit every apparatus in the next year instead of one for every department.

My agency (East Texas Medical Center EMS) is looking at every grant available and our Regional Directors will have all been to the FEMA Intergrated Emergency Management Course-Consequences of Terrorism by February of next year. This course is is given at their facility at Mt. Weather, Virginia. It is probably the best Terrorism Course that I have ever had. You can get an application off of the FEMA web site.

There is a lot out there, you just have to look for it and decide what you want (training, equipment, etc.). Try the Emergency Management Bureau in your state.

Hope this helps

Ed
    I.A.C.O.J.-Member

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits".-Albert Einstien

"If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door"-Milton Berle

Forum Member

Default Tell me more....

Please pass on the info that you have for VA. This was a topic of discussion at our company meeting the other night. Some neighboring counties in Maryland received $150-250 grand each for equipment and training. One of our members asked the chairman of the county Board of Supervisors about funding. He denied any knowledge of any such funding.

I'm sure that the VSP will claim that a terrorist incident in VA will be a "crime scene" and will justify the need for the funding on that basis. Sounds like this was a done deal from the start. I guess we know who will be "In Charge" the next time there is an incident.

I hope they hire some more troopers, in our area, dispatcher calls the trooper on duty at home when they need him after hours.

Stay Safe,

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

AVF&R452 I am checking on this and as soon as I get details I will post. Don't get me wrong, the police need alot of money to operate but we need to have training and equipment because we are the first responders.

Several years ago I ran into a brick wall trying to get a military surplus brush truck. I found out the state police got first pick of these trucks and then VDF got what was left. What was left was junk. I drove up to Charlottsville to look at what they got at the forestry offices. It was sad. Then I drove to the local police department and looked at the trucks and SUVs the state police received and passed along to local departments. They were in good shape and ran well. After questioning a deputy sherrif about why they needed olive drabe SUVs and 4X4 pickups I was told they didn't need them. They get them on grant and then hang on to them for 3 years and sell them. Then the money they get buys guns, gear, and new cars. I hope this anti-terror money doesn't go that way also.
    "Illegitimis non carborundum."

- Gen. Joseph Stilwell
    (Lat., "Don't let the *~#%&S grind you down.")

Thread Information