Forum Member

Default Turning Tricks.........

.......of the trade into shared ideas.

I thought I'd share some of the old tricks we use on a regular basis, if you have any, feel free to add!

1. Dry Chemical Bags -- Rather than blast an extinguisher down a flaming chimney, we simply make dry chem "bombs" out of Zip-lock bags and the powder. Simply drop them down...the bag melts and TADA!! No extinguishers to refill.

2. A dog leash attached to the beginning coupler of your LDH makes for an easy grab when hitting a hydrant.

3. Dish soap in your Indian cans makes for "Wetter water".

If you already use these..great!! If not...give them a try. What tricks do you know??
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Putting a small water bottle in your radio pocket, really does help to carry you through the drill or call and it fits well too.
    Last edited by dfdex1; 09-24-2002 at 11:06 PM.

Forum Member

2. A dog leash attached to the beginning coupler of your LDH makes for an easy grab when hitting a hydrant.
    Funny, we had to get a dog leash for our chief to keep him at the command post.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

We use a 20' length of chain with a sash weight on one end and a "T" handle on the other for busting up creosote plugs in chimneys. We also use the dry chem zip-loc bags for chimney fires.

Ask a member of the IACOJ if you don't know what a sah weight is.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

You mean those huge metal counter-weights inside of old wooden windows...those things are HEAVY. Pretty good use for them, though. We started using a trick that I noticed San Francisco doing; strapping pike poles to the side of the roof ladders so they're there when you need them for ventilation ops.

Talking tricks!

instead of dish soap in cans, try a spoon full of AFFF, works wonders.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

MembersZone Subscriber

Old basket ball on the tanker to drop in the dump tank to plug the whirlpool if you don't have a flat strainer.

Pair of fencing pliers in turnout gear: cuts wires, prys, hammers, works as pliers.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Sr. Information Officer

Lightbulb

During wildland fire...extended pumping operations:

If I know we will be in the woods after dark...I place an emergency strobe at strategic points along the hose lays, such as gated wyes. You can also use light sticks in a similar manner...but the strobes really stand out.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Ever have trouble storing or re-wrapping those 100 ft, heavy duty extension cords; the ones not on a reel. I took a 5 gallon pickle bucket, cut a small hole in the base for the male end. Then wind the cord into the bucket, similar to a throw rope. It stores nicely, and deploys a lot better than just having a coil. The twists in the cord still present a small problem when it is cold, but so far its been good. Be sure to put drain holes in the bottom of the bucket so they wont hold water.

IACOJ BOD

We have placed green and white reflective tape on all our hose connectors, similar to the strobe idea, but "Batteries not Included"

Same goes with all tools. One flash of a torch and any piece of equipment lying on the ground (Naughty Probie) is seen immediatley.

We asked a couple of sign companies, and they gave us more scraps than we will use in ten years for free. All we did was send them a nice letter thanking them for their donations.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Originally posted by drkblram
    we are buying 5' animal snare poles for our first out pieces, this is becuase of an incident where a dog didn't want to get rescued from a house fire, and bit a department officer. (a dalmation none the less!)

Are you serious??? Priorities huh???
    "The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men."
    -Henry David Thoreau

Visit my dept. at www.TCFD.com

Forum Member

We also carry steel buckets to empty out the firebox during a chimney fire.

If you don't have a floating strainer, an old tire will keep your barrel strainer of the floor of a pond or lake when drafting.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

We have a similar setup for a "chimney kit". Except our chain has knots tied in it. One about every 3 or 4 feet.

We have used the roof ladder to keep the barrel strainer off the bottom. The hooks dig into the bank really well.

We use an inflatable beach ball for the whirlpool problem that Ohio described. It's size makes it able to be stored most anywhere.
    Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking All Sorts Of Goodies............

After spending more time on a heavy rescue than I'd like to admit to, I've come up with a list of do-dads that aren't in the tool catalog, but come in handy. A handful of 10penny nails (prop doors open) a couple of bungee cords (hold doors open, hang lights on ladders or doors) A roll of duct tape (tape glass before breaking) wedges cut from 1/2in plywood (sprinkler heads) Some other ideas....2in PVC pipe is a neat holder for poles of all types except "D" handles. We use pieces of 6in PVC about 18 in long for air bottle racks. Winter brings out a 5 gal bucket of kitty litter for each rig, use it on ice etc. And for the Truckies out there, take a couple of screw clamps (radiator hose clamps) and a 4 to 6 ft piece of 2in PVC pipe, mount the pipe on the rails of the ladder just below the tip and you have a holder for a hook. And the list goes on..... Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 10-04-2002 at 12:39 PM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

How 'bout using old bowling pins in place of rubber mallets for loosening and tightening steamer caps on the truck. They won't damage the chrome and unlike the mallet, they won't start shredding after awhile.

Instead of bags of speedy dry that allways tear open and spill all over your rig or get wet,

No cost way to store speedy dry.

Just take your emety buckets of AFFF or F500 or what ever foam you use, Clean and dry them with water first.NOTE THESE are the buckets with 1 1/2 screew type hole on top. Fill with speedy dry useing a traffic cone as a funnel. and screew cap back on. three buckets for most eng. companys works well. And when you need it just unscreew cap and pour out what you need. No fuss no mess. and no cost.

Make sure you mark buckets with paint so probies don't pour speedy dry in your foam tank.

PS. I do know 1 dept that received extra points from ISO for having 15 more Gals of foam on there truck. Go figger.

captain12

Forum Member

"We use an inflatable beach ball for the whirlpool problem that Ohio described. It's size makes it able to be stored most anywhere."

Hey, a little sand and some chicks in bikinis....you got yourself a pretty cool rehab area, too!

Watch out, you might get hammered for wanting to see girls!!! They are of the debbull.

Smile

Tricks of the trade:
    MAKE SURE THE BAY DOOR IS ALL THE WAY UP BEFORE YOU PULL THE TRUCK OUT. ASK 1ST SHIFT CENTRAL STATION .
    MCFPD # 1

dazed and confused

Originally posted by Captain 12
    No cost way to store speedy dry.
    captain12
    Capt - great tip. We've been messing around with different containers that didn't work. We switched over to this today... great idea.

MembersZone Subscriber

A floating strainer works well in a portable water tank. In the country, ask the occupant where the septic tank is located

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking OOKAYYYYYY..............

Knowing the location of the septic tank helps prevent drafting from the wrong supply???? Seriously, Myron has a good point. Over the years I have seen a couple of incidents where an engine broke thru an underground tank. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

If you don't have a beach ball for your drafting pond, then a white chief helmet works well also! Save the beach ball for the rehab area, I like that!
    Something that I like to do personally, carry a notebook in my pocket and WRITE THE ADDRESS DOWN upon dispatch!

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Use a dry-erase marker to write the address right on the windshield, where the driver and officer and the guys in back can all see it. Wipes right off when the run is over. Velcro it to the A-post to keep it handy. By the way, black is the best color for this, red is hard to see and blue is too light
    See You At The Big One

Forum Member

Hey, I like the dry erase thing. I'm gonna try it the next call out.

Thread Information