Thread: Terminology

Default Terminology

I'm from the midwest where we have few if any wildland firefighters. I received an e-mail from a non-firefighter friend who must have read an article in a magazine or newspaper about wildland firefighters. Anyway since I was the only fire chief he knew he challenged me to know the definitions of the following wildland firefighter slang terms. Can anyone help me define the following?????

A Bambi Bucket
    The Black
    Camp Crud
    Coyote Camp
    Hot Can
    Jackpot
    Lawn Dart
    Nuked
    Pumpkin
    Snag
    Spike Camp

I have a few ideas about some of them but I really don't know any for sure. Thank you in advance......steve

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, I am old school wildland 1983-1989, but what the hay, I will put down the few that I use to know

A Bambi Bucket-A COLAPSABLE BUCKET THAT CARRIES UP TO 350 GALLONS OF WATER USED IN HELITACK OPERATIONS.
    The Black-THE BURNED AREA OF THE FIRE. ALSO USUALLY DEEMED THE SAFETY ZONE.
    Camp Crud-COFFEE, OKK SO IT IS ONE OF MY ADDICTIONS.
    Coyote Camp-DUNNO? MY GUEESS IS THAT IT IS A SMALL CREW CAMP NOT AN OFFICIAL DESIGNATION PER THE FIRE BOSSES.
    Hot Can-DUNNO
    Jackpot-DUNNO
    Lawn Dart-I USE TO KNOW THIS BUT CANNOT REMEMBER RIGHT NOW.
    Nuked-AREA OF FIRE THAT BURNED SO INTENSE THAT IT LOOKS LIKE A NUKED ZONE. I USE TO CALL IT MOONSCAPE AS WELL.
    Pumpkin-A LARGE BLATTER BAG USUALLY HOLDING SEVERAL THOUSAND GALLONS OF WATER FOR MOP UP OR SHUTTLE OPERATIONS ON A WILDLAND FIRE.
    Snag-A DEAD OR LEANING TREE THAT IS ONLY BEING HELD UP BY THE BRANCHES OF ANOTHER TREE. COULD FAIL AT ANY TIME. PS-ALSO WIDOWMAKER IS USED FOR A SIMILAR SITUATION WHERE A LARGE BRANCH OF THE TREE IS BROKEN OFF BUT UP IN THE BRANCHES OF ANOTHER TREE WAITING FOR YOU TO WALK UNDER IT TO FALL ON YOU.
    Spike Camp-A SUB CAMP USUALLY MADE UP OF A COUPLE OF HANDCREWS AND ON OR NEAR THE FIRELINE. NOT ALL THE AMENITIES OF A BASE CAMP.

Well you newer wildlanders, let me know how I did??

Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Forum Member

Default Terms

A Bambi Bucket - Chief got that one.

The Black - Chief got that one too.

Camp Crud - little off on this one Chief.. Colds, flu bugs, general sickness which spreads through Fire Camps.

Coyote Camp - Stuck out on the fire line overnight without anything other than what you carry in or is brought in by helicopter. Coyote Camps are in the inaccessible parts of the fires.

Hot Can - Hot Buckets, Bucket Food, Meals on Wheels, (Although they are seldom hot by the time they reach Spike Camp.) Usually meals delivered by truck or other means to Camps other than Base Camp.

Jackpot - Large consintrations of highly flammable fuels

Lawn Dart - Smoke Jumpers

Nuked - Chief got it again

Pumpkin - Right again Chief, also used as possible dip sites for helicopter bucket operations. Folding Tanks without the metal frame.

Snag - Chief you're do'n good.

Spike Camp - Spike Camps can sometimes hold a lot more than a couple of crews. Have seen them with 10 or more crews.

And if you are interested in some "Off the Wall" Terms, visit:

http://www.wildlandfire.com/docs/wlfterms.htm

Have a good one
    Hickman
    Last edited by Hickman; 09-26-2002 at 08:29 PM.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it...but, maybe we had better take a closer look at it."

Sr. Information Officer

Excellent Chief Taylor....we need you back on the lines!

I think you were close enough on the "Camp crud"...sometimes the coffee can make ya feel sick.

Yeah, "Camp crud" is usually specific to a single camp...and is passed along from one group to the next. Symptoms range from simple cough, mild congestion...up to nausea, diarrhea, fever...mimicking severe flu symptoms.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information