Unhappy Hepatitus C from Ground zero

I was a local 40 Ironworker working the midnight shift.Somehow,well, it's obvious how,but I caught the virus.It does suck! i had a liver biopsy,the whole 9 yards done,it was less than 6 mos. old. Worker's comp.is fighting me like a bitch,but the judge ordered them to pay up.There's a trial on Oct.7th.Does anyone know of anyone else who caught this at GZ? I know the Ironworkers were never tested.Mine was discovered by accident after the heavy metal tests showed 98% Iron saturation in the liver,then did further tests to determine the damage and found the virus.Actually,I'm lucky.It could have been AIDS.Regardless,there is no cure.It would help to show I'm not he only person there who caught it,but it's likely.I had several stitches on both hands,open burns all the time from using the lance(that monster torch that burnt at 8,000 degrees off the liquid Oxygen tanks) thanks for any help,
    Highiron
    I have an online photo slideshow of Ground Zero pictures,your welcome to see it.You'll need to send me your address though so I can send you the link.
    HighIron

I don't understand how you could possibly get hepatitis from working in Ground Zero??!! You usually get it from sexual contact or blood transfusions. But anyway, hope you are ok, there are drugs that can help keep it in control.

Default Cetaya,a needle stick with hep.c

A needle stick with hep. C is 10 times more likely to infect you than an accidental AIDS stick.I take it you weren't there or you wouldn't ask how I got it.There were constant exposures.They don't have to be from needlesticks,transfusions,10 yrs ago,sex is even less likely(1 out of a thousand,most doctors say),just plain blood to blood,or open wound to body fluids(blood),which didn't always look like blood because it breaks down after a few hours in the heat(and it all looked grey anyways) and stayed alive longer in the warmth of the heat.I've already done my share of arguing,I didn't come here for this.You need to find a job working for an insurance co.I'm on a peg-intron/Ribavirin chemo treatment now that lasts for 48 weeks.
    Last edited by highiron; 10-05-2002 at 12:20 AM.

Thread Information