And I thought I was the one and only...Flying Squirrel!
-------------------------------------------------
AUBURN, Wash. (AP) - A massive explosion early Monday blew apart
a large storage container in the backyard of a woman who ran an
exotic pet business. She was critically injured.
The container that blew up was one of three in the woman's back
yard. Investigators said the other two, which were damaged, were
used to house exotic squirrels.
Sharon Massena, 61, found lying in the debris, was rushed to
Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. She was in critical condition
Monday evening with burns over 40 percent of her body, a nursing
supervisor said.
The container that exploded at the Massena Menagerie was used
for storage, Auburn Fire Marshal Dave Smith said.
Some of the squirrels were killed or injured, while hundreds
were freed.
As of 6 p.m. Monday, about 650 of the squirrels, called Sugar
Gliders, were missing in nearby woods, Auburn fire officials said.
Damages, including the value of the missing and dead animals, as
well as the feed stored in the trailer, could reach $100,000, fire
investigators said. They were investigating the possibility of a
propane leak.
The explosion happened at about 9 a.m. when Massena apparently
entered the storage unit and turned on a light.
Friends, neighbors and wildlife specialists from the Sarvey
Wildlife Care Center worked to recapture the missing squirrels.


(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)