View Poll Results: Should even the least active Vol. agency have one paid man for coverage?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

1 33.33%
  • NO

2 66.67%
  • NO OPINION

0 0%

Question Coincidence or Curse?

For the second day in a row one of Mecklenburg County's least active volunteer dept. faced old man fire. Long Creek VFD, located just northwest of the City of Charlotte was toned out to assist Gilead VFD on a possible structure fire at a nearby high school. This, the day after Long Creek and Cooks arrived to find a single story brick strucure, in the Edmore Estates subdivision, with smoke pouring from the eves. What was originally a two dept. alarm for a stove fire, quickly found itself to be a 2 alarm working fire. This brought out Charlotte Fire to assist once the volunteer agencies realized their short comings on manpower. Today Long Creek was retoned to assist Gilead after no response within 3.5 minutes. Firefighters responding POV to the firehouse found it next to impossible to get there in a timely fashion, mainly due to the early morning traffic on busy Beatties Ford Rd. where the station is located. Luckily the call was capable of being handled by Gilead's Engine 1, and Long Creek was cancelled en-route. What normally takes LCFD firefighters 2-3 minutes to get to the station, took 6-7??? This brings about good questions. Does even the least active dept. need a paid man?? Do our vollies perhaps need sirens?? Or do we simply need to educate our public, to "Red lights means please let me by you". The boys at LC are open to any suggestions.

Forum Member

Default LCVFD

I am asking a question and not wishing to get anything started so PLEASE do not take it that way. But...
    Did the City of Charlotte just annex all the area you are speaking of? I am from Rock Hill SC and I thought I heard on the news where Charlotte has annexed all available land. Here again I am probably mistaken and if I am I do apologize. I was a Vollie for the Town of Pineville for 6 years so I am familar(sp) with your delimma.

To answer your question yes I do believe that Mecklenburg county should provide the funds for atleast 1 if not more to be staffed at every volunteer station in Mecklenburg county. The county is to big and over developed not to have someone there. After all they just raised the property tax 25% last year so they sholud have the money. The County Commisioners should reevaluate what their needs are and what their wants are.

Again I DO NOT want to get anything started. I do agree that it would able the volunteers to better serve the community if they would do little more to support the departments that are not funded by a Town. Like Mint Hill, Pineville and so on.

Just my two cents worth.

Take care and be safe
    GOD BLESS THOSE WHO WENT BEFORE US

Yes and no??? If that makes sense, CFD has pretty much come out and told us that they are taking it, but no, it's still ours til july 1 of 03. And you are correct, they're taking any unincorporated land in mecklenburg county.

Forum Member

Default lcvfd vs mecklenburg county

Are the volunteer depts such as you and Cooks, Steele Creek and others going to do a contract with CFD or is CFD going to build stations between now and July?

Unfortunately Charlotte is taking in all areas and if you are not incorporated then you are gone as a dept. Thats how it has worked before in Mecklenburg county (ie Derita).
    Good luck with your situation but it seems that in this time of budget cuts that LCVFD and others in unincorporated areas will no longer be around.

Afterall If the city annexes it, then the City has to provide the services for it.

Good luck and I hope it works out.

Unfortunately you are correct sir!!...CFD will put everyone out of business, with the exception of newell and west meck, of course. But when you look at it on paper, you can't really blame the county for it. The city annexes and then builds not visa-versa, like it should be, ie; 31,32,33,34,35????? But why should the county give depts. like cooks, long creek, robinson and steel creek the same subsidy as those depts. who actually have a district. It's quite well planned if you ask me. Personally I'm gonna hate closing the doors, IF it comes to that, but I think we've all got a few more years before anything definitive. Until then my red light keeps on turnin, and I'm gonna keep the community from burnin.

Lemme know what you forsee

Forum Member

Default the future

Medicman
    What I see in the future is Charlotte having all the land in Mecklenburg county to be in the City and the only vollies left will be in the incorpoated towns such as Pineville, Matthews etc..
    Like I said before I see the Cities part of it too. If they annex it then they can hire more people and increase their budget and so on.

So in the end the vollies such as yourself can only protect those they serve now to the best of your ability, and wait until the day that you guys go out of business. Unfortunately the future is not bright.

Take care brother and be safe.

I agree completely...so until then, like I said, I'm gonna have fun with it, and continue to serve.

Thread Information