Default Would you raise the garage door to vent?

I was reading a scenario and I'm not sure how I would handle it.Built in 1948- 2 Story unit with garage in basement.Unit is 35'x 18'. Eight units wide. Every 2 units separated by firewall. Basement has a garage door and entrance door next to it. Stairs from garage to first floor.
    Fire in Garage, Heavy smoke on first floor. teams directed to search first and second floors.
    Your assignment is ventilate to support the Search teams. What would you do?

OK.. Next your the IC..How would you corridnate vetilation with fire attack. Any different?
    Last edited by Gallonspermin; 10-02-2002 at 04:25 PM.

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Default a few questions

which direction is the wind blowing? how hard?
    hydrant plentiful?
    personnel plentiful?
    any bystanders reporting trapped victims?
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

Has the search teams entered the fire building yet?
    Is there a hose line stretched yet?
    Is there water on the fire?

Forum Member

Well first off u need to look at the building construction. It really isnt a 35 x 18 unit u are dealing with, but a 70 x 36 due to the fire wall seperating every 2 units. Im going to assume that the garage is partinioned off to each seperate unit, sometimes with row frames you can have a common basement all the way under the building. If that was the case u could have definite fire extension into the adjoining unit. Also, this building is built after 1940 so it is probably platform in construction which buys u time from commiting resources to immediate vertical ventilation. Having said that, to ventilate to aid in search. I would have 2 teams, and interior and exterior search team, you interior can search and ventilate the first floor while the exterior can VES the front of the second floor. The roofman can vent the windows in the rear from the roof. The key to effecting a resscue in this type of fire is agressive line placement to cut of extension into the interior from the stairs leading from the garage. Typically, the stairs are open from the first and second floors in townhouses allowing for rapid extension to the 2nd floor. Noting that fact of rpaid extension of fire, heat and smoke to the second floor, if when ur roof man vents the windows and notices heavy smoke conditions, he should immediatly vertically vent the roof above the stairs. As far as venting to suport the fire attack, I would initially open the outside door to the garage, I would have the garage door forced but an agresssive fire attack would normally have the fire knocked by the time the garage door was opened.

Where would you place the line to cut off extension to the first floor. I'm thinking the door is at the top of the stairs ?
    Would you try and push it away from the bottom and hit the stairwell or go in the first floor and ..what? You don't open the door.!!
    Forgive the stupid questions, but this" cutting of extension" is something I have never trained on. I have trained for venting as to not cause extension, but if I have a line it has always benn attack.
    Then chek for extension.
    Last edited by Gallonspermin; 10-03-2002 at 02:30 PM.

Forum Member

What I meant by cutting off extension of the fire is to place your first line inbetween the fire and the occupants, means of egress, and the rest of the house. You have to think not only where the fire is at presently but where will the fire be and were is it potentially going. You have to get ahead of the fire. So the first line should go at the top of the stairs. You are right u shouldnt open the door, especially since u have another entry into the garage from the outside. If there wasnt an outside entrance to the garage, the hoseline should wait until the interior search crew has searched the upstairs before opening the door.

Iím going to make few assumptions for this scenario so hang in there. The first is that the door leading from the garage to the first floor is closed. The second is that the garage is partitioned off from each adjoining unit, besides the firewalls, and the third assumption is we have more than one unit on scene.

1st hand line and crew goes to the first floor with the following objectives. To check for any extension from the fire below, perform a primary search and to ventilate. Ventilation will be accomplished using PPV.

Fire attack is accomplished by establishing a water supply and using a deck gun with a solid stream (for penetration and doesnít push the fire) to knock down the fire fast. Overhaul can then be accomplished by using hand lines.

Fosters

Forum Member

Here's a consideration. If there's a window in the garage door, bust one out and toss the cellar nozzle in there while attack team drags a line to the door and vent gains the roof. This should darken down the fire quick w/o risk of pushing fire around.

Thread Information