View Poll Results: what apparatus do u usually ride to a scene in?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • rescue

2 6.25%
  • tanker/tender

0 0%
  • 1st or 2nd due pumper

13 40.63%
  • not assigned to a truck whatever i can get in

17 53.13%

Thread: what do u ride?

Forum Member

Default what do u ride?

what do u guys usually ride in to apparatus? i can ride on whatever i want which is usually the first due pumper. no body says i cant infact i always ride with the chief in the pumper.
    Last edited by firefighterox; 10-02-2002 at 07:28 PM.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Unhappy You forgot one...

You left out the stick!!! The truck is my preferred apparatus of choice, but I usually end up on 1st or 2nd out engine.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

i live far enough away from the sation that my ride is usually my POV. but other than that if im close i catch E-1, our firdt run engine.
    Burgess Wills
    Firefighter/EMT
    Windsor Vol. Fire Department
    Chuckatuck Vol. Fire Department

Temporarily/No Longer Active

i ride on wutever is there but mostly its our first out engine

-garrett

I ride on whatever is in service. which is our engine. then for training time they might take out the ladder truck so I go on that. So it is whatever is in service. And we cant transport patients, then I ride on the ambulance that is assigned to our area, along with the medic.
    "wait for.....it wait for it....your all so so so so fake"
    Q-uiz

I ride in whatever is next out with room when I am geared up. Usually I make the first engine, our pumper-tanker.(39-23)

Ryan Ayares
    Ferrell and Deepwater Fire Departments Rule
    WE WILL NEVER FORGET THE 343 FIREFIGHTERS WHO GAVE IT ALL WHILE DOING WHAT THEY DID BEST!!!

Whatever hasn't left by the time I get there. Usually the second due engine, because there's about 6 guys who live within a block or two of the firehouse and they get there by jumping over the back fence. A mile and a half doesn't seem like very far until you're racing to get to the firehouse before the guys who practically live there. I've ridden in the tower, but I have to ride in one of the jump seats because I'm not aerial qualified yet. Also the rescue, but I haven't ridden it since my first call. My favorite is our first due engine. It's only a few years old and can hold most of the gear that you could ever use at a scene; you name it, it's on the engine

Talking GASP!!!

YOU LEFT OUT THE LADDER, C'MON!!!
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Temporarily/No Longer Active

YOU LEFT OUT THE LADDER, C'MON!!!
    Thats cause the real firefighters ride in the engine!!!! LOL JK

Well I ride my "POV" to the station for my explorer meeting then when the tones "Drop" I stroll to the window above the appartus floor and watch the real FF goto a call, and know my role as a explorer.
    Last edited by dfdex1; 10-04-2002 at 08:06 PM.

Originally posted by dfdex1

when the tones "Drop" I stroll to the window above the appartus floor and watch the real FF goto a call, and know my role as a explorer.
    amen brother

We are a comination dept so we drive POV's to the scene, even if we are at the firehouse, we cannot ride on the trucks. (Insurance)

i am a interior firefighter, not an explorer but ill submit to this poll. but its poll. my station has an engine truck and a rescue. i am always around in the day so i make all the calls. if its in out first due i ride the engine. if its out of our district we roll the tower, and we run on all rescue calls in town so if its a rescue the rescue goes. so i ride all 3 alot.
    FIREFIGHTING IS ALL ABOUT ***, BUSTING OURS TO SAVE YOURS!!

Default aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

hehehe, dfdex1
    I LOVE IT WHEN AN ENGINE PUKE GETS SMART!!!!
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

truck company baby!
    FIREFIGHTING IS ALL ABOUT ***, BUSTING OURS TO SAVE YOURS!!

Originally posted by FirstInLastOut
    We are a comination dept so we drive POV's to the scene, even if we are at the firehouse, we cannot ride on the trucks. (Insurance)

You cant ride the apparatus to the scene, bacuase of insurance, but you can dive your povs????Sounds kinda suspect SOP.....Driving you povs, would be more of an insurance risk, plus twice as confusing....

HNFC FF/President

We ride whatsever available. One day, i got to ride in our first due engines officer seat. That happened mainly because at the time only my dad and myself were at the station.

If theres a seat open on the first truck, one of our officers will pick which junior or juniors get to go with the first due. If your not picked, you have to wait for the 2nd due.

Our rescue doesn't get used alot, so i dont ride it much.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

well im assigned to 1w41 which is the salvage truck. thats what im supost to ride in unless there isnt much manpower to fill the truck and to ride the truck i have to ask the driver. the only think im not aloud to ride in while going to a scene is the brush jeeps. but once at a fire scene i can ride on them.

I've been getting lucky lately, so I've gotten on the first due engine twice in the past week. Once for a lift assist, the other for a signal 50. I can only ride in the jump seats for a fire call, but i can ride in the regular seats for medical assists.

Since Im 1 of the few explorers who can climb a ladder w/ out freaking out, I usually ride on 1 of our ladder trucks. normally up front since we only have 2 FF per truck and most of the time the 2nd FF preffers the back, so he has more room to suit up.

Ok well first of all why in the world are juniors catching trucks out? If you are a junior and are assigned to a truck then there is a problem. Shouldnt the full firefighters be the ones assigned to the trucks. Juniors are limited to what they do and they do not belong to an assigned truck. The only way our juniors catch a truck out is if the truck is pulling out and there arent enough firefighters to fill the trucks. Otherwise we find our own ride because as I stated firefighters do the most work juniors are limited so I dont believe they should be assigned to a truck. Especially first truck out. I am done and I know I probably just made a lot of you mad but it happens.

AND DONT GET ME WRONG I AM NOT A FIREFIGHTER GRIPING I AM A JUNIOR FIREFIGHTER MYSELF.

Matt

Originally posted by Ladder44126
    Since Im 1 of the few explorers who can climb a ladder w/ out freaking out, I usually ride on 1 of our ladder trucks. normally up front since we only have 2 FF per truck and most of the time the 2nd FF preffers the back, so he has more room to suit up.

explorers can not climb any ladder, go read federal child labor laws

Exclamation

In my post we have the rule that during our meeting if we ask we can ride along for the night in whatever turck goes out on the call weather it be a medical or a structure fire. The smae goes when we work a shift.

Matt H
    President
    ESP. 25
    Northborough Ma.

Forum Member

i live second closest to the station. my uncle lives closest but i am still usually the fastest and first to the station so i call county 911, blow the siren and gear up and almost always catch 1st due engine. the only time i havent riden the engine was to a rekindle and to a mutual aid but me and the chief usually take the pumper/engine (of76) but i have caught the tanker twice because we were only suppose to be taking a tanker but took the tanker and 76. but im not assigned to a truck just whatever i can get. and even then i can do almost anything a regular member can do. i have done an interior attack on a barn or two before but not with a mask and i have driven the brush truck (non emergency for a meeting) before so i am a pretty valuable member to my dept.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

Forum Member

What do you mean by "i call county 911"? Aren't they the ones that dispatch you?
    Any statements I have made are my statements, and my statements alone.

Forum Member

we have to call them on the radio to let them know that we are en route. so i tell them that we will be en route shortly. usually within a 1-2 minutes we are out of the station not even that long.

Thread Information