Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question About next round of cuts

Has any new dear john letter come out since round six. Is round seven in the works.

Administrator

Round 7 is about two weeks away.

Sometime this month the next 'wave' of a thousand or two of Dear John letters will go out.

After that, the turn down notices will go out in much smaller batches.

WebTeam

Forum Member

Is that 2 weeks for public announcement, or when they plan to start notifying departments of award?

Administrator

Could be any combination of the above:

The process has generally been ....

Day 1: Congress and Governors get announcement, start making notifications to winning departments

3-7 days later: Formal public announcement from USFA posted

and seperately....

On the 1st and 15th of each month, departments receive their OFFICIAL award packet and information on funds from FEMA. This has no direct corelation necessarily to the current announcement round.

The days for Round 7 are not finalized yet.

What does the OFFICIAL award packet consist of? When FEMA called on 9-24-2002 and asked the 5 questions she said that we will get official notification within three weeks and I didn't understand what that meant, but I was just so happy that she called that I didn't even think to ask her what she meant- does anyone know?

Administrator

Official award packets are typically sent via email in bundles on the 1st and 15th of the month. That is the OFFICIAL notification to a department from FEMA that you're getting a grant.

Five five questions would likely comme weeks before that.

Forum Member

Default Dear John etc.

Another Dear John question:

Is it becoming "more likeley" that those of us who have not received the 1199 link and the five questions are probably in line for the batch mailing of Dear Johns?

Here is my assumption, I hope somebody can find fault with it...:

The initial Dear Johns went to those who were screened out by the computer.

The Peer Reviewers have evaluated and scored or failed the remaining grant applications.

Those who have received funding or are "most likely" have received their notification of award, the 1199 and the 5 questions.

It would seem that there are a lot of FD's out there with 1199's and 5 questions who haven't been announced as award winners.

Those of us who have not received the 1199 and 5 questions are "behind" those who already have.

I think if you have not received the 1199 and 5 questions by now, your (and my) luck has probably run out.

Any comments???

Default mjboom

You must remember we are only half way through the grant process. And there is more money left in the second half than was given in the first. Around 200 mil still up for grabs. One dept I know of recieved their grant 2 weeks after their 5 questions, my wait was 9 weeks. The initial word was 5000 to 6000 grants to be awarded. If you do the math, very roughly, 19500 apps - 7500 dear johns = 12000 in the hat. Ok now we have 12000 maybes - 2200 awards thru round 6 = 9800 wanabees. With about 3500 awards still left + or -. Divide the + or - into the wanabees and what you come up with is better than a 1 in 3 chance to be a happy camper. So if you review your odds at the begining, we all had about a 1 in 4 chance. So if you are into odds or are a betting man you have a much better chance at this stage of the game if you havent heard from fema, than when you started this game. The equation will change again soon after the next round of dear johns. So if you dont hear anything by the end of the month your odds improve again.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Question

Wells, I think you're probably right on again. . .
    But could someone posssibly tell me, or webteam could you find out from FEMA where we are in relation to the extra $150 million --
    Maybe its sour grapes but my guys want to know (if we end up with a Dear John) whether we would have been funded with the additional appropriation that was vetoed.

Originally posted article 'Patience, Fairness and Approval Top Priorities of USFA Grants'
    To date, at least half of the departments that eventually will receive awards or are part of the final approval process, have been notified.
    http://www.firehouse.com/funding/fir...002/0919a.html
    At some point I thought FEMA had already notified MOST of the departments with the 5 questions, I guess this sheds some light on reality.

Andrew

Forum Member

Since President Bush last month pulled back the $150 million extra (part of an overall spending package cut), FEMA expects to send out another round of a few thousand turn downs in early October. The remaining turn down notices will be in significantly smaller batches until the last applications are approved, most likely sometime in December.
    Ctfirefighter,

I don't think they will tell you if you were to have been funded but I hope this helps.
    Firefighters are Crazy!! But God bless each one of you all!!

Got a link to update our 1199a, which I did and have mailed back to FEMA. Just wondering if we are getting any closer so I can uncross a few things. Getting cramps really bad in what is crossed now.

Wink 5 Questions

We received an e-mail of our 5 questions today. We certainly can use the assistance....... Does anyone know how close we actually are??????????
    Out of the Many, The FEW!!!

Talking

Although getting the link to the 1199a don't mean for sure you are getting a grant it is a good sign. We got our link on July the 9th and recived our grant on September 15th a long time to wait to here anything. I think there is still people with the July 9th 1199a still waiting to hear some news so don't get to excited yet, but you are on the right path.
    Be Safe

The 5 questions seems to be the key. I don't know if the timeline is the same for everyone else but we got the announcment 3 weeks after we got the 5 questions. Good luck
    Be Safe

Smile Ebson I hope you're right

We were part of the 7/9/02 1199's and had not heard diddly until 9/14/02 when we got our 5 questions, didnt make round 6 but this time maybe?

Permanently Removed

Here is my question, if the 1199 information was filled out on the application will they necessarily ask for an update? Has anyone gotten a grant without doing the 1199?

Forum Member

I asked about the 1199 form when I got the 5 question E mail on 9-17. They told me that my information was correct and did not need to change anything. He said that they ran a test on the 1199 info to see if the routing #'s worked and if not they then requested the info. Still waiting for an official notification. It has been 3 weeks so I hope to hear something by the end of this week. When will round 7 be announced? I know that the 5 questions is a good sign, but a call from FEMA or my Congressmans office would sure be good.

Forum Member

Inside info ... about 3,000 denial emails will be sent out in the next two weeks. DO NOT CHECK YOUR EMAIL. or cross an extra pair of something
    Firefighters are Crazy!! But God bless each one of you all!!

Forum Member

Well... Darn,
    Just got our Dear John from big daddy FEMA. Never received any 5 questions or forms to fill out. I was pretty glad we made it through the first round of cuts. We'll be back next year, We'll just have to stick to our original savings plan for a new engine (we did apply in the firefighting vehicle category). We applied for a basic engine that would have totalled at $160,000, I see some depts. got over $200,000 for a vehicle... HHHHHmmmmm.. basic firefighting vehicle??
    No hard feelings here. It was a hell of alot of fun waiting on the program, and reading the clues some of you guys came up with, Bye the way, we had one of those mysterious Ext's added to our application.
    Good luck to all whatever your outcome.
    Frank

P.S. If anyone wants to read a narrative that I was told was pretty good... but didn't make it, let me know, I'll post it and you guys can tear it up, and give us some pointers for next year.
    Chief Frank Rizzio
    Pea Ridge Fire Dept.
    Pea Ridge AR. 72751

Thread Information