MembersZone Subscriber

Default Did FEMA forget their own rules?

Just got through reading about Honolulu getting $749,000 in grant money. While I do not begrudge what they got, I don't understand how they recieved grants in more than ONE category! FEMA was very clear that they would only give grant $$$$ for one category, yet they awarded Honolulu both equipment and firefighter fitness awards. What am I missing about the process....
    Willie
    Station 43
    In the heart of Jersey...

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation Check the final rule

Section 152.1
    Par. (1)

I think it's allowed.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Final Rule

Webteam:
    There was a link available for the final FEMA Grants guideline, but I can't find it now...Can you provide it??

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It might be still available at www.usfa.fema.gov.

To maybe save some time for those on dial-up, all of Honolulu's "projects" fell under Firefighter Operations and Safety. The way I read the rules, you were only allowed to enter one application, in one category. It didn't say anything about not allowing multiple wishes within that application. So asking for SCBA and bunker gear in the same application would have been allowed. Both fall under FF Ops and Safety. Technically I guess one could have applied for multiple vehicles. I wouldn't venture to say that it would have gotten approved, but you never know unless you try.

As far as other departments not sharing in the $750Gs that they got, us vollies don't have to worry because the program guidlines state that the monies have to be split according to population covered. I believe last estimate was 53% volunteer/combo, 47% paid. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I read through the guidelines several times when the came out. Getting into the mindset of reading "government-speak" takes a little time. Just like the part about appropriating $150 by Sept 30th. It just had to be appropriated, not announced. Details.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Administrator

Honolulu's grant was under one category:
    Firefighter Operations and Safety

Their grant included several programs WITHIN the main category.

If you didn't complete an application yourself, and understand how that part of the process works, it would be confusing. But if you filled out the application, it should be fairly clear how that was broken down.

Thread Information