Forum Member

Default What are you aloud to do?

I am an advisor for an explorer post with a paid FD that rus both suppression and EMS. I started out as an explorer and I must say it was the greatest thing I ever did. I've noticed that the tasks explorers can perform are less than when I was an explorer and I was wondering what kinds of things you all are aloud to do when you ride out. Our training is above what the Boy Scouts want, like live fire training, flashover, extrication etc, and we have never had a problem with that. I'm in a position now to take over the post and I'd like to keep it interesting. The last fire chief was very pro explorer and that is why we were able to do a lot more on scene, but the new chief is afraid of the liability. Just wanted to see what kinds of things you all can do. Also, I've noticed that we are getting more kids who just don't seem as interested in firefighting/EMS like they were when I was an explorer. Many seem like thier more interested in wearing the uniform and not riding. Is anyone else seeing this?

sadly, yes i have noticed a sharp decline in our numbers and interest. when i joined a little less than 2 years ago, they were afraid that they didnt have room for me. now, we're struggling to keep up with the 5-10 member range. and no one is ever around anymore either.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Im the grand poo-bah of our post( I moved up from a guru! )in full union department,with not all members likeing explorers and the Chief being a liability concerned(OCD ). We are in no way shape or form supposed ot ride the truck, if the fire truck pull out ofthe bay were not even allowed to ride it. We started off with 7 people sigend up after the first meeting of do's and dont's it dropped to two other besided my self. I reccomend you me a course over view,we did this yesterday ironicly-after kicking it around the idea of makeing one for a year. This way you can say thins night we will do this and that and so on.
    Here is our first draft, in the order we thought appropriate.
    -Do's and dont's of fire explorers( For our dept. that acuteally took two nights!!!!)
    -Fire behavior
    -Personal protective equipment
    -Self contained breathing apparatus
    -Ropes and Knots
    -Apparatus and its equipment
    -Fire extinguishers
    -Building construction
    -Water systems and hydrants
    -Nozzles and types
    -Parts of hose and lay types
    -Hyrdraulics(Big unit)
    -Inncident command
    -Ventilation
    -CPR certification
    -First responder certifcation
    -Search and rescue
    -Sprinkler systems (Big unit)
    -Fire alarm systems ( big unit)
    -Ladders
    -High rise firefighting
    -Electrical hazards
    -Foam uses and types
    -Hazardoues materials
    -Flammable liquid emergancies
    -Chemical lab hazards (ie. drug labs)
    -Emergancy vehicle operations
    -Vehicle extracation
    -Technical rescue
    -Flag adequate
    -History and traditions of the fire service
    -Leagalities of fire services
    -Marine firefighting
    -Airport rescue and firefighting

I personally recomend these requirements
    -15 straight out- no if there 14 and they did the 8th grade and the buffalo are going the right way and the moon was half full
    -Mentally competent
    -Emergancy forms- I cant stress that enough
    -6 Months probation- my adviseors think im a hard a** on that one but I dont care though

Good luck with your post,remember to make out a course over view, present it to the chief, it will show your serious and want to do this and remember not every person is gonna like explorers,remember when doing classroom and training make sure everybody does it - dont have little johnny sitting in the corner.And it you got trouble makeing liudmouth get rid of them quick like the plauqe-because they are and they will take the post with them if not dealt with quickly.

Good luck
    Chief Jesse L Mazzie
    Danvers Fire Explorers
    Post 3334
    Last edited by dfdex1; 10-07-2002 at 10:44 PM.

The last 5 fire chiefs (before our current one) have come up from explorers, so we have been able to do pretty much anything we wanted during drills. Anything from a burn drill to extrication to using extinguishers. At scenes we were always restricted to exterior, and at a safe distance. As the current chief will not be running again this year, the new chief will be from the explorers so we will be able to do what we want again.

Our department allows the explorers to work on the scene as long as they dont have an attack line in there hand inside or outside the structure. They can help out with getting things off the truck and task like that. I think exlporer programs are great, they helped me greatly in my firefighting position. Our department has about 10 exlporers right now, b/c we started the program a few months ago, but they all have a huge interest in it.
    Wes Kirkpatrick
    Amory Fire Dept.
    Firefighter

On scene of a fire we always have to stick with the driver or remain seated in the truck. On medical calls we are allowed to put iv bags together, take blood pressures and connect them to the monitor and so on. vehicle crashes we also are to remain with the driver. unless ...some other reason.. your allowed to wear your gear, and helmet but to watch at a safe distance or can follow and assist the medic. you have to know cpr of course, universal precaution and so on and so on. i dont know how old this program is but ive been there for a goo year. we range form 6-13 people,mostly female and few male.
    "wait for.....it wait for it....your all so so so so fake"
    Q-uiz

Forum Member

i can do anything at my dept except go into a burning building, or driving the truck unless told by the chief which i have had to do once already (non-emergency). but i am a jr. not an explorer but i figured it would help u anyways
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Greetings to all

In my post which is sponsored by a paid department, we are allowed to ride at any of the 12 stations on any rig that has room.To be able to ride we have to go trhough rouhgly a year of drills and tests pluss a fe classes put on by the department. WE must contact the captain at least 24 hours in advance. On fire calls we are allowed to do anything outside. Deck gun, handline and such moving hose and getting tools for whoever needs them. We are not allowed inside the building until the fire is knocked down and the captain says it is ok to go in. Usually to assist in overhaul. On serious calls such as mva death or something the captain usually makes us wait in the rig or around it. WE have about 20 people in out post right now. 15 are new we just had a new class. WE had to select 15 out of 54 cause that is way to many to take on.

Nate Green
    B.C.
    Post 264

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I would say 'we', but I'm the only Junior, so, I can do almost anything, except drive apparatus and go on the interior.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Question I have a question too...

hey all. wow, you guys sure are lucky to be able to do all that stuff. thats kinda kewl. i didn't even get to do a few of those things (like drive a dept. vehicle, not even chiefs cars) when i was a junior! i have a question though. are you guys and gals (that are under 18) allowed to do that by state law, or is that just a dept. thing that doesn't really go by law? not trying to start any big battles, i just wanted to know. I know in PA, the guys that we have in the explorer group aren't allowd to do much b/c of the state law. i kinda feel bad for them, they show up to learn and don't get to do anything. i will say this, though, the PA laws for jr's and exp's is pretty messed up. its to the point where you have to giggle now and then reading through it. anywayz, let me know. Thanks!!
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Forum Member

How are the explorer/junior laws in PA screwed up?

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I would think that state law dictates what can go on in a fire department, because if the law said we could go in and drive, there would really be no point to Juniors and Explorers, everyone could just be a regular member at 16.

Just my 2 cents.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Exclamation JRFIREMAN

hey, i don't know what copy of the laws you have, but the little red book i have from 2001 is all kinds of funky. it contradicts itself on anything and everything in it. where you from anyway, you don't have a location down??
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

Default In my post

In my post, we can do anything the firefighters do except internal firefighting and driving the rigs. You have to be 21 for both in my locality. Departmental rules stae though that we cnat ride MVA's, mutual aids, or EMS calls(even though I am trained)because of past problems of post traumatic stress and psychological trauma. Other than that, we train with the firefighters, and we do everything they do. You learn alot real quick.

Opinions are my own

My post does almost all the stuf that dfdex's post does ecept some
    of the really obscure topics for our meetings and training sessions.
    On ride alongs (when we work a shift) we can do everything that a FF can do ecept interior firefighting but if the situation arises we can hold an outside defense line. We also can can ride on all EMS calls and MVAs but with mutual aid calls I think we can im not sure.

Matt H.
    President
    ESP. 25
    Northborough, Ma

Thread Information