Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trying to join a Dept. Near Albany NY.. need place to live

Hey, im looking to join a Vol. Dept. Near Albany, NY. Colonie, Latham ETC

but i need to live in there district to be able to join one of there companies.

Ive been trying to find a apartment near the area, but other then the EXPENSIVE apartment complexes i cant find anything. Anyone up here know of cheap apartment or maybe a station like Hyattsville that lets students live in the station to run calls???

Thanks!
    Last edited by adarrell; 10-09-2002 at 08:26 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trying to join a Dept. Near Albany NY

Try the Classified section of the Times Union or the local Pennysaver that comes out weekly. They usually have cheaper rent listings.

Where exactly are you looking? There are a lot of departments in the Town of Colonie.

Good luck.

Thumbs up Looking for any type of job...

Best source for fire jobs (paid/vol)-
    www.firecareers.com

Best source once you get that interview date (paid/vol)-
    www.eatstress.com

Default Re: Trying to join a Dept. Near Albany NY

Originally posted by BCVFF
    Try the Classified section of the Times Union or the local Pennysaver that comes out weekly. They usually have cheaper rent listings.

Where exactly are you looking? There are a lot of departments in the Town of Colonie.

Good luck.
    well i am lookin at Fuller Rd. Fire

But i need a cheap place to live

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Not a bad choice, you will have Engine, Truck and Rescue work. I really don't know of any cheap apts in that area. Unless you look further down the Ave into Albany. Need any assistance, give me a e-mail, I am in town here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Trying to join a Dept. Near Albany NY

Fuller Road is a great department. Call the firehouse and let them know that you are looking to join their department, but need to find an apartment in the area first. They may be able to provide some help. There is an apartment complex across the street from their firehouse, by Wendyís. Ask them to save their local Pennysaver. There are a lot of people who advertise apartments for rent.

Good luck.

thanks guys, i think the pennysaver is something i need to check out. Fuller Rd. has there open house tonight, i'll go see whats up

Forum Member

Default housing in the Town of Colonie

Finding cheap housing in Colonie is not going tobe very easy. You might be able to find something over on the northside of town but that would move you away from Fuller Road FD. Try Latham Village Apts.
    I can't speak for the other FD's in the town but Latham FD runs over 500 fire calls a year. If you want real fire, we are not the place to go. Last year we saw real fire once and this year I think it has been 3 times, and 2 of them were in somebody elses district.

Permanently Removed

Ever consider going a little furtehr away from Albany. I know in our area the housing is cheap and the vacancies plenty.

where is mayfield? lol its so far away ive never heard of it........

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs down What's location got to do with it?

Is there anyone out there who can explain why it makes the slightest difference where a person lives, if they want to be a volunteer, welcome them with open arms. There is one department that I know of that spent a lot of money trying to recruit 20 new volunteers. Sixty-some people responded, but only 5 were accepted because of a residency requirement. Many of those went on to other departments and became excellent volunteers. Finally, the clowns with the residency requirement got the message and dropped it, but the damage was done, and it took several years to recover from the bad press. Residency requirements are just plain stupid in my book! Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default residency

Our vol FD has a residency in our district or a boardering district. But state law says the membership can only have something like 35% living out of district. If you live to far away you are no real good to us as you cant respond in a timely manner. Trucks cant be gone and back before you get to the fire house.

h woods,
    Often in NY volunteer firefighters respond from home. It would then not make much sense for me to live 20 minutes away from my station. Hell I only live 3-4 minutes away and I miss trucks. SO at least in NY residency requirements for the volunteer fire service makes sence. Paid Depts... well lets not get into that!
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

in response heres why i hate residency requirments to a certain extent

i moved about 45 mins away to go to college, but i was home every so often and would try to make any calls while i was staying at my house.

Of course my Captain loved it cause i would acutally DO something, while 90% of the other members were dead weight.

But ***. Chief had a heart attack and found out i was living out of the district and did away with me going on calls.

So now, i cant help, i cant ride and i cant participate. To get back in id have to LIE about where i live just to make a few calls, plus if he found out he'd probably sue me for something.

Forum Member

So what do the by-laws of the FD have to say about maintaining your membership? They are what governs the FD. Is this a fire district or a fire protection district. If your here for school this is not your permenant residence. besides if you join here are you going to have to do a years worth of work in 9 months plus go to school in order to maintain your membership. Here you may have to start over spending time as a proby again. I wouls think about maintaining your membership where you are now.

well whereever i move im staying there, staying out in duanesburg is too far from work and school

Fuller Road and Latham are both excellent departments. Both are busy departments with EMS first response, truck work, rescue work and engine company work. I'm a member of Schuyler Heights which is also in the Town of Colonie. For more information about Town fire depts. you can check out our website www.schuylerheights.com or the towns website www.colonie.org/emer/Index.htm

Good luck
    All opinions are my own and have nothing to do with any agencies i belong to.

Check out my departments website - [url="www.schuylerheights.com"[/url]

whos the busiest in Colonie? my guess is Latham

Originally posted by BBoucheyFD
    Fuller Road and Latham are both excellent departments. Both are busy departments with EMS first response, truck work, rescue work and engine company work. I'm a member of Schuyler Heights which is also in the Town of Colonie. For more information about Town fire depts. you can check out our website www.schuylerheights.com or the towns website www.colonie.org/emer/Index.htm

Good luck

Thanks bud, gives me alarger area for looking for a apartment! with the district maps i can find one in district

Permanently Removed

I can understand the residency requirement. Why should I give someone $1,500 in equipment, and thousands more in training if they will rarely be around? We have people who are around all the time who don't make calls. There is that rare exception, but for the most part you should be a volunteer in the town where you live. Plus it makes just common sense.

Requirement here is that you must at least live in a neighboring district. Which brings up an interesting scenario. I know of a fellow who lives in our district but is a member in a neighboring district. The thing is, the districts border each other about 12 miles back into the woods. To get to calls, this fellow has to drive through our district (and past our station), through a second district, and then to his own fire house.

I guess the reall issue would be the person that lives out of town would show up to most calls as they were being cleaned up. MVA's and EMS calls rarely take more than 30 to 60 minutes.

Thread Information