Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Need justification and backup for facility expansion

As I thought I would have to, I now have to provide justification and backup for an expanded decontamination facility for our new ED which is in design.

I have designed the outside gross decon showers and inside detail decon showers to handle a wild *** guess of 100 victims per hour. This is the rub.

The designers want me to justify this number as cost of construction may become an issue.

I have searched everywhere to find some formula or way to justfiy how many victims is a reasonable number to plan for. There is no magic formula.

Do any of you have a believable method of determining and justifying the number of victims that you plan for.

If you are a JACOH (or whatever alphabet soup they use now) accredited hospital, look at their requirements. I believe we had to come up with a plan to decon something like 2000 people for our last inspection.

Will your showers be basically "self decon" or does your plan require attendant help in the process?

Unfortunately, JACHO only requires a "plan that identifies facilites for radiactive or chemical isloation and decontamination". The plan doesn't offer suggestions on the number to plan for.

SARA Title III requires a facility for handling decontamination, but again doesn't offer the number to plan for.

COBRA requires the same but doesn't offer a number.

The problem is that no one can really give a justifiable formula or number of victims that "may" have to be handled.

It is hard enough fighting for a decent facility, but it is even harder fighting the attitude that we don't need a large facility because "it hasn't happened here".

My decon team consists of 25 personnel, half of which are certified for hospital decon.

Thread Information