Forum Member

Question Limits for the catagories

Web team, I don't remember reading any thing in the register about limits for the catagories. Do you know if they were there and I just overlooked them. I have heard alot about the vehicle catagory being finished, but have not heard anything concrete. Also couple of people have told me the dear john letters are coming out, any input on that? I know two departments that have had either the five questions or the direct deposit info but nothing else in over a month. Any insight would sure be appreciated, because I have started running low on the valium.

Raven

Default Re: Limits for the catagories

Originally from the Program Guide, under the subsection of Award Procedure
    We are also limited in the amount of funds that can be awarded for vehicles, i.e., we cannot award grants for vehicles in excess of 25 percent of the available funding
    [QUOTEThroughout the process, career departments will be competing against other career departments for up to 45 percent of the available funding. Volunteer and combination departments will compete amongst each other for at least 55 percent of the available funding. [/QUOTE]

Perhaps the first quote is what you were looking for.

ASSISTANCE TO FIREFIGHTERS GRANT PROGRAM
    Fiscal Year 2002 Award Recipients
    (through October 1, 2002)

Categories No. of
    Awards Amount of Awards*

Fire Operations & Firefighter Safety 1,820 $104,583,000

Fire Prevention 171 $7,383,192

Firefighting Vehicles 262 $$30,737,397

EMS 16 $991,367

TOTAL 2,269 $143,694,956

According to the above breakdown, $90,000,000 is slated for vehicles, and only $30,737,397 has been allocated. So roughly 66% of awards still remain for vehicles. Estimating an average of 175,000 dollars per vehicle, that means about 500+ grants will be awarded for vehicles.

As I mentioned before, I wonder how many applications remaining requested a vehicle. And out of those Applications, how much $$$ value do they total?

Andrew

Permanently Removed

At the same time, it doesn't mean that 90 million will be awarded for vehicles. It only means that 90 million is the max.

I applied in the vehicle category for a tanker for our rural department. Total cost (share and fed) was $130K. Have not received the 5 questions, the Dear John letter, nor the 1199 post.

Permanently Removed

How big is the tanker? Is it new?

In reply to cdevoe. The tanker is 3000 gallons, dual rear axle on a Freightliner FL-80 chassis, 500 gpm pump, and a 3000 gallon portable pond with mounts. The cost for the truck I think is rather low in comparison to other new tankers of the same specs; however, being from Louisiana, the state has a contract with Ferrara that allows our FDs to purchase their new vehicles at a lower cost than non-contracted entities. As for the 3000 gallon portable pond we can get it for $640.00 under the state contract. By the way, the Ferrara plant is only 15 miles from our station so we can oversee EVERY aspect of the manufacture, assembly, paint, etc. Hope this answers your question.

Thread Information