Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Thumbs up Something For The Serious And The Not So Serious Minded

I figured that everyone needed a bit of a "pick-me-up" today, so here are a couple of stories. One seems like a good idea and the other is just for fun.

Thanksgiving Is Just Around the Corner (In Canada: 14 Oct)

Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving.

I'm telling you in advance, so don't act surprised. Since Ms. Stewart won't be coming, I've made a few small changes. Our sidewalk will not be lined with homemade, paper bag luminaries. After a trial run, it was decided that no matter how cleverly done, rows of Flaming lunch sacks do not have the desired welcoming effect.

Once inside, our guests will note that the entry hall is not decorated with the swags of Indian corn and fall foliage I had planned to make. Instead, I've gotten the kids involved in the decorating by having them track in colorful autumn leaves from the front yard. The mud was their idea.

The dining table will not be covered with expensive linens, fancy china, or crystal goblets. If possible, we will use dishes that match and everyone will get a fork. Since this IS Thanksgiving, we will refrain from using the plastic Peter Rabbit plate and the Santa napkins from last Christmas.

Our centerpiece will not be the tower of fresh fruit and flowers that I promised. Instead we will be displaying a hedgehog-like decoration hand-crafted from the finest construction paper. The artist assures me it is a turkey.

We will be dining fashionably late. The children will entertain you while you wait. I'm sure they will be happy to share every choice comment I have made regarding Thanksgiving, pilgrims and the turkey hotline. Please remember that most of these comments were made at 5:00 a.m. upon discovering that the turkey was still hard enough to cut diamonds.

As accompaniment to the children's recital, I will play a recording of tribal drumming. If the children should mention that I don't own a recording of tribal drumming, or that tribal drumming sounds suspiciously like a frozen turkey in a clothes dryer, ignore them. They are lying.

We toyed with the idea of ringing a dainty silver bell to announce the start of our feast. In the end, we chose to keep our traditional method. We've also decided against a formal seating arrangement. When the smoke alarm sounds, please gather around the table and sit where you like. In the spirit of harmony, we will ask the children to sit at a separate table, in a separate room - next door.

Now, I know you have all seen pictures of one person carving a turkey in front of a crowd of appreciative onlookers. This will not be happening at our dinner. For safety reasons, the turkey will be carved in a private ceremony. I stress "private" meaning: Do not, under any circumstances, enter the kitchen to laugh at me. Do not send small, unsuspecting children to check on my progress. I have an electric knife. The turkey is unarmed. It stands to reason that I will eventually win. When I do, we will eat.

I would like to take this opportunity to remind my young diners that "passing the rolls" is not a football play. Nor is it a request to bean your sister in the head with warm tasty bread. Oh, and one reminder for the adults: For the duration of the meal, and especially while in the presence of you diners, we will refer to the giblet gravy by its lesser-known name: Cheese Sauce. If a young diner questions you regarding the origins or type of Cheese Sauce, plead ignorance. Cheese Sauce stains.

Before I forget, there is one last change. Instead of offering a choice between 12 different scrumptious desserts, we will be serving the traditional pumpkin pie, garnished with whipped cream and small fingerprints. You will still have a choice; take it or leave it. Martha Stewart will not be dining with us this Thanksgiving. She probably won't come next year either. I am thankful.

Now for the "Good Idea"New approach to prostitution pays off. Wednesday, October 09, 2002

A Nanaimo RCMP program aimed at getting prostitutes off the street appears to be working. Officers are taking a proactive approach to deal with not only streetwalkers, but their Johns as well.
    One prostitute who has been through the program says that it was exactly what she needed to turn her life around.

"It's no life. Drugs is no life for anybody," she says.
    'Lisa,' who does not wish to be identified, has been working the streets since she was 12 years old. "It started with the money, and the addiction kind of came with it. Because how do you do that job without being addicted? It's kinda hard," she says. "Once you start you can't stop. That's the problem."

But now Lisa doesn't have to work the streets any more, thanks to a new initiative by the Nanaimo RCMP. She was arrested along with nine other prostitutes and 12 Johns during a sting operation in September.
    RCMP gave the arrested prostitutes two options: either go through the justice system, or go through detox.

"It's important to know that all of these ladies are addicted to narcotics or drugs of one type or another, so when they were arrested we made them the offer that we would assist them in getting treatment," says Nanaimo RCMP Cst. Jack Eubank. "And our reason for doing that is we're trying to attack the root cause of the problem."

Three of the 10 women arrested during the sting chose to go through detox at the Clearview Centre. One is still waiting to get into the facility. The second woman did get in, but lasted only a couple of hours before she left. Her family says fear kept her from following through with detox.

"Fear. THe biggest part was fear. Fear of the unkown," says a family member. "Where am I going to go after this? How am I going to support myself? A lot of guilt. A lot of shame.

"They're too scared. They're scared to leave that addiction," she continues. "That addiction is your best friend. It's kind of hard to leave your best friend behind."

But Lisa has done that. She is the only prostitute arrested that night who has successfully completed the seven-day detox program. She is now on a waiting list to get into the recovery centre.
    She still struggles with her addiction every day, but she's glad the RCMP gave her the option to deal with her addiction.

"It's awesome," Lisa says. "it's the best thing in the world. It helped me so much. Made me feel like a person again." Twelve Johns were arrested in the RCMP sting operation.

Five of them have agreed to go through a restorative justice program.
    They'll meet with a committee from the community and donate $500 to the Clearview Detox Centre.

© Copyright 2002 CH TV
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Talking

as for the thanksgiving dinner, it sounds like you've been to my family's get-togethers for both thanksgiving and christmas. as for the drumsticks being frozen. let me tell ya that putting them on the dashboard with the defroster on high doesn't work well.

as for the prostitutes, i know the feeling. it's hard trying to break the habit of having sex. it's an addiction that is very hard to break. relapses occur very often sometimes when you aren't expecting it. and now it's all over TV and the movies... temptation is everywhere and everyone's doing it (most everyone that is).

where does it all stop...
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Default WATCH OUT FOR NEW HOMES....

New homes used to grow pot: RCMP. Upscale Surrey houses are then sold to 'launder' cash Wednesday, October 09, 2002

The underground business of growing marijuana has become so lucrative that brand new homes are being customized and purchased for the sole purpose of housing marijuana operations, Surrey RCMP officials said Tuesday.

In a three-block radius of 168th Street and 84th Avenue, police recently executed search warrants for growing operations on 15 brand new homes. Luxury homes in the upscale subdivision sell for about $600,000.

In some cases, houses worth hundreds of thousands of dollars are being purchased with "garbage bags full of cash," said Surrey RCMP Constable Tim Shields.

He said the homes are bare of carpeting or standard appliances to allow more growing room for hundreds of marijuana plants that are worth about $1,000 each.

Plants are being moved into brand new homes which are being used as growing operations for a few months, then the house is sold, Shields said.

"These homes are purchased with the proceeds of crime, with cash made from illegal activities and these houses are used for more illegal activities," Shields said. "The purchase and sale of the home is then also used to launder money."

Shields said that over the past year, police have executed 33 search warrants on homes less than two years old that are being used as growing operations. Before that, only a handful of growing operations were in new homes, with most search warrants executed on rental properties.

On Sept. 12, the RCMP raided a house at 14606-88A Ave. that had received its occupancy permit just 10 days before. Inside, police found 661 mature marijuana plants.

In many of the brand new homes, police find no furniture or appliances save an air mattress and a propane gas stove for cooking so every available space is used for plants.

The homes have massive air conditioning units to deal with the high temperatures caused by heat lamps, extensive venting systems to dissipate tell-tale odours and high-capacity electrical outlets.

These modifications and customizing could be for nothing but marijuana-growing, said Shields. But Nick Marach, Surrey's manager of building division, said the city is not aware of any homes that have been modified to the degree that it would generate suspicion from bylaw inspectors.

He said inspectors would be aware of any unusual modifications.
    Marach, who is in charge of inspections, said that homes with 200 amps of power capacity are the norms in new construction. That amount of power capability would allow for swimming pool pumps.

"Old houses used to have 100 amps of power, but there is an increased need for different appliances that have become the norm," he said.

Surrey Mayor Doug McCallum said the trend toward using new homes for growing operations means the business has now spread everywhere in the city and is not limited to rundown rental properties.

"People buy these houses, put in marijuana grow operations and use them for a year or so, then fix up the inside so they can get their investment back," he said.

"It shows there is a lot of money to be made in grow operations."
    Police say they believe real estate agents are involved with criminals in finding new homes to start growing operations.

One real-estate agent who knowingly arranged for the purchase of a house used specifically for a growing operation has been arrested in the last few months, said Shields.

He said he wasn't sure whether charges have been laid.
    Fraser Valley Real Estate Board officer Ellen Baragon said the association has never heard of any real estate agent being linked to growing operations.

Under the Proceeds of Crime Act, realtors, like bankers, must report any suspicious cash transactions over $10,000, she said Tuesday.

The senior officer for the RCMP drug enforcement branch said the trend toward new houses being used for growing operations doesn't necessarily mean rental properties are no longer being used.

"People aren't preferring $400,000 houses to $100,000 houses," said Superintendent Carl Busson.
    "But obviously if you have more room, you can grow more plants."
    Police say the growing operations in Surrey's new homes are being controlled by members of a Vietnamese organized crime group. Busson said this group is in turn working in partnership with the Hells Angels.

"In statistics we have and research done from 1997 to 2000, we have seen the Vietnamese are heavily involved as the actual growers, people tending the crops," Busson said. "I haven't seen anything different to lead us to believe that has changed in the last year."

The level of involvement between the Vietnamese gang members and the Hells Angels differs in various locations, he said Tuesday.

"We don't have intelligence that leads us to believe they're competing, so that means one or two things," Busson said.
    "That there is clearly defined areas where one or the other has control or they're set up in such a manner as they have a cooperative venture happening."

© Copyright 2002 Vancouver Sun

This cable was used to supply power to a marijuana-growing operation in a huge underground bunker.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

Sounds to me like old Martha might be spending Thanksgiving at the old "Gray Bar Inn" if you know what I mean.
    May we never forget our fallen, worldwide.

I.A.C.O.J. Safety/Traffic Control Officer

E6511

"Who's Who Among American Teachers" - 2005, 2006 Honoree

Default GREY BAR HOTEL

SB, funny thing you should mention that. There is a funny commentary on my regular radio station that runs in exactly that vein. Ed Bain, the DJ acts as if he is with her when she first arrives at her "New Home" and they talk about making changes to it etc. Pretty funny really.

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Here's a thought just out of the blue ...... what with all the talk to decriminalizing or legalizing pot ..... if we actually did legalize pot would it not take away alot of the power / influence / crimes being committed by the various "groups" currently dominating drug trade in Canada???? eg as mentioned here the Hell's Angels and others.

And Rick ........... LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ..... omg I can acutally picutre Turkey dinners ala Malahat!!!!!!! Tooooooooooo f'n funnnny

On the serious side ..... Calgary has its problems too. All I can say is good luck to the girls that are making the attempt at gaining their freedom and for the girls that haven't made that choice or been given that choice, you have my prayers that someone will help you help yourselves soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends, let's look at what we have to be thankful for!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

DO NOT ever think legalising grass is going to reduce drug problems.

The major draw back is Taxation. For years dealers/growers have had a hard cash society they fight and kill for. Why the heck are they going to give up 25% of that to the government when they KNOW how to sell it with out paying taxes.

If you can sell $1,000,000.00 of grass from a good crop, why the heck would you feel like donating $250,000.00 to your beloved government tax department.

Alcohol is taxed, the Governments don't mind the carnage that causes, because they are getting a slice of the pie.

And do not believe that marijuana is not dangerous, do a search on THC (Tetra Hydra Canabinol) the active ingredient in marijuana, it is a resinous oil that in its refined form makes Hashish.

That crap is dangerous goods.

It seems a strange thing that most succesfull growers of marijuana or dealers of harder drugs never touch the muck, or is it?

PS, Happy thanksgiving to you all.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Don't want to smoke up all their profits

Ahhh Malahat. Always guaranteed to bring a smile on a crappy day.

I tried smoking grass once, best fire we ever had round here

Happy thanksgiving and best wishes to my Canadian friends.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Default Suggestions & Ideas

Rick, Just remembered this one, perhaps you could pass it on to the Mounties?

The Police Force I work for used to have a problem with prostitution in certain areas. We don't now. All sorts of things were tried, stop & checks, blue light patrols through the problem areas, even special courts for the "punters" as we call them. Nothing seemed to deter the more ardent customers. That was until the guys in the Vice Squad came up with the idea of franking the letters & summonses that were sent to defendants homes, with "From the Northumbria Police Vice Squad" across the front of the envelopes.

Nothing like that sort of wake up call over the breakfast table with the lady of the house!!
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

Unhappy MORE SERIOUS STUFF... AND IT AIN'T GREAT

As Emergency Caregivers, this is a case that we all hope we never experience on a personal level: (BTW, this happened in my Home Town)

Officials probe death in ER waiting room (Barbara McLintock) Friday, October 11, 2002

VICTORIA - The coroner's office and the Vancouver Island Health Authority are investigating the death of a woman awaiting treatment in an overcrowded hospital emergency room early yesterday.
    The 59-year-old, who was not identified, was taken to Royal Jubilee Hospital by ambulance just before 1 a.m. after complaining of chest pain.

She was officially admitted at 1:22 a.m. and turned over to a nurse in the emergency ward. But, said health authority spokeswoman Shelby Chamberlain, there were already 20 people in emergency awaiting admission.

And she said the woman's condition apparently wasn't as critical as some of the others. She was sent to sit in the waiting room to await her turn. Less than 40 minutes later, she was dead, still in the waiting room.

Email Barbara McLintock at: bmclinto@shaw.ca
    © Copyright 2002 The Province

Lightbulb GOOD IDEA.... OR BAD IDEA??????

I will let the article speak for itself.

Prime Minister Jean Chretien says Canada would be part of UN mission in Iraq

STEPHEN THORNE Canadian Press Thursday, October 10, 2002
    OTTAWA (CP) - Prime Minister Jean Chretien came the closest yet Thursday to committing Canada to joining a military coalition aimed at destroying Iraq's weapons of mass destruction. "If the United Nations were to come to the conclusion that we have to go there to destroy the armament of massive destruction that (Iraqi President Saddam Hussein) might have, we will go there," Chretien told students at Glebe Collegiate Institute.

"We believe in international institutions. And if the United Nations comes - the collectivity of nations - comes to the conclusion that something has to be done, of course, you know, we will do our duty."
    He was replying to a student's question: "The United Nations
    notwithstanding, do you believe the United States should go to war with Iraq?" "I will have to go to the cabinet and the caucus but my view is we should," said Chretien, "if it is the decision of the Security Council of the United Nations, because we need the United Nations to be the arbitrator of conflicts.

"But we have to be very careful before starting a war. It is a question of a lot of people die in war. We should do everything we can to avoid it."

The Prime Minister's Office later wanted to clarify the statements.
    "The prime minister was very careful to say that he would have to talk to 'my own caucus, my own cabinet, Parliament' and so on and so forth," said a spokesman.

"We are, of course, part of the UN and when a resolution comes we will take a good, hard look at it," said the official.
    "We've always said we would back that, we would back any resolution that the Security Council put forward. We would be part of that but we have not committed troops."

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity, noted the prime minister never mentioned the word "multi-national force," and left open the possibility that by "going there," Canada could send weapons inspectors.

"From our perspective, we haven't moved any further ahead than we have in the past," said the official. "We've been very clear where we stand, and that is with the United Nations Security Council resolutions."

Defence Minister John McCallum said "'doing our duty' hasn't been defined yet."
    "(Chretien) said he'd speak to the caucus and the cabinet," McCallum said outside the House of Commons. "But, under proper UN authorization, he's certainly opening the possibility of some military role.

"But absolutely no decision has been made." Stockwell Day, Canadian Alliance foreign affairs critic, said it's taken Chretien a "painfully long time to state the obvious - that we would comply
    with a UN resolution making it clear that there would be consequences to Saddam Hussein for non-compliance."

Day noted that Chretien did not, however, say what Canada would do in the event of war. "If Saddam fails to comply with his obligations and if the United Nations fails to enforce them, what would Canada do?" asked Day.

"Would the Canadian government support an allied coalition if the UN failed to act, as in the 1994 Rwandan genocide, or would it wallow in neutrality between an Iraqi tyrant and our closest friends?"

In a conference call from Finland, Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham said the prime minister has always been clear that Canada "supports the multilateral process . . . Canada has always supported the UN.

"Clearly, if the United Nations Security Council resolution called for
    action on behalf of the world community because, in fact, Saddam Hussein was refusing to co-operate or committing material breaches of the resolution, that is a totally different situation than if the United States is asking us to go in on a unilateral basis," said the minister.

© Copyright 2002 The Canadian Press

Cool SOMETHING ON A LIGHTER NOTE....

[Ya know you've lived "on the Hill too long when..."

Redneck In The City

A redneck family from the hills was visiting the city and they were in a mall for the first time in their life.

The father and son were strolling around while the wife shopped. They were amazed by almost everything they saw, but especially by two shiny, silver walls that could move apart and then slide back together again.

The boy asked, "Paw, What's that?"

The father (never having seen an elevator) responded, "Son, I dunno. I ain't never seen anything like that in my entire life."

While the boy and his father were watching with amazement, a fat old lady in a wheel chair rolled up to the moving walls and pressed a button.

The walls opened and the lady rolled between them into a small room. The walls closed and the boy and his father watched the small circular numbers above the wall light up sequentially.

They continued to watch until it reached the last number and then the numbers began to light in the reverse order. Then the walls opened up again and a gorgeous, voluptuous 24-year-old blonde woman stepped out.

The father, not taking his eyes off the young woman, said quietly to his Son, "Boy, go git yo Momma.... "

And one last note.... after two years in the fire service, I was finally able to take, and subsquently pass my Probie Test on Thursday's Practice. And yes due rounds were paid out to those who were in attendance.

Thread Information