• Scott

39 76.47%
  • ISI

4 7.84%
  • Draeger

1 1.96%
    MembersZone Subscriber

Lightbulb Honest Opinion on SCBA's

Our department is looking to purchase new SCBA's. We have only used MSA in the pass. I would like your honest opinion on the new Scott, ISI, MSA and Draeager units and any problems you have experienced with them in the past. Also information on the communication features.

Thanks in advance,
    Flashpoint_4 @ firehousemail.com
    Last edited by Flashpoint4; 10-11-2002 at 08:15 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile

Over the years I have used Survivair, MSA and now Scott. By far I like the Scott unit the best. Easiest and quickest to put on, most comfortable. The new NFPA regs are going to raise the price of pack considerably (everyone will have to have audible and visible pressure indicators and the buddy fill systems)Try them all, we did and went with Scott. Just don't let a crappy salesman sway your choice.
    Larry

I used Scott for years. My new department uses MSA.

Not that I have anything against MSA but I miss the Scotts.
    How much water do you have?

In the 15 years I have been in the fire service I have had the chance to use and work on most of the major packs. My last department had a mix of Scott 2-As and Scott 2.2s when I started, then switched to Interspiro. The department I am in now uses Scott 2.2s and on our new truck we are going to Scott 4.5s (I can't wait). Interspiros are comfortable and easy to put on, but at the time when you put on the mask you were breathing from the tank and the only way to breathe room air was to take the mask off. I think they fixed that problem but I don't know how. I'm a field repair tech. for Scott and Interspiro, I've found that Scott is alot easer to repair than Interspiro. Don't forget about the departments around you and make sure that whatever packs you go with can be changed out with the other departments cylinders if your department goes on mutual aid. If it were up to me all the departments in my county would be using Scott.

MembersZone Subscriber

I love the Scotts. They are easy to use, comfortable and the mask regulator port (? where the regulator connects to the facepiece) is larger than most which allows for easy communication and breathing on room air without having to remove the mask.

We have also used to add-on radio piece which connects to one of the exhalation valves on the mask to improve communication. We found they work great but the cords to the radio are so long they get in the way. I have heard that they are developing a better in the mask communication system which would be really nice.
    Firefighter/Paramedic Ron Sanders
    Midvale Fire Department
    Medic Ambulance 22 - A Platoon

Firefighters, Walking where the Devil Danced!

This is simply my opinion and does not represent the opinion or view of my employer(s) or any department/agency to which I belong.

Personal Website: http://RonSanders.Biz Check it Out!

MembersZone Subscriber

Another vote for Scott.

My full time department has MSA and they just aren't as well built. We have had several problems with the integrated pass, as well as problems with the straps, and air leaks. Much like an E-One it will do the job (most of the time) but is no where as nice as we deserve.

Forum Member

Cool

I have used Scott 2A, 2.2 and 4.5's,MSA belt mount and MMR's, and SurvivAir,at our Department.

The scott 4.5, 30 min paks win hands down.

However, we have been using ISI Magnums lately at the training centre I instruct at and I am slowly moving towards ISI.

Why?

The main reason is the low air alarm. When the Scott starts clacking at the end of your nose, your radio transmissions become difficult for others to hear. As well as not being able to hear what others are trying to say to you.

I can't comment on maint. issues, since I am only certified to repair Scott, but ISI claims it to be simple with only "a handfull of parts".

As mentioned try them all, and not just for an evening. Get a demo unit and try it for a couple of weeks. Then onto the next etc.. Keep notes and comments from FF's and compare them all- apples to apples.

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

WE HAVE BEEN USING OUR NEW SCOTTS FOR QUITE SOMETIME NOW WITH NO REAL PROBLEMS. WE HAD MSA MMR'S FOR A WHILE AND THEY WERE TERRIBLE. UNION PUT IN A VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE ON THEM. WE HAD SOME INCIDENTS OF THE REGULATORS COMING OFF THE MASK WHILE THEY GUYS WERE IN ON THE FIRE. MSA R&D PEOPLE CAME TO OUR DEPARTMENT TO SEE WHAT WAS GOING ON AND WE RECREATED IT FOR THEM. THEY BASICALLY CALLED US LIARS AND LEFT. BUT SHORTLY AFTERWARD THEY CAME OUT WITH THESE METAL CLIPS FOR THEM. I GUESS THE HAVE RE-ENGINEERED THEM. BUT WE ARE BACK TO SCOTT'S AND EVERYONE IS HAPPY.
    WE HAVE THEM WITH THE VOICE EMITTERS. THOSE HAVE BEEN WORKING O.K.. WE ALSO USE THE COM. UNITS WITH THE PTT'S FOR HZMAT OPERATIONS. WE HAVE HAD A FEW BUGS WITH THOSE. NO OUT RIGHT FAILURES. JUST PROBLEMS WITH FEED BACK OR TRYING TO LOCATE THINGS WHERE THEY ARE EASY TO USE. OUR MAINTENANCE GUYS FIND THEM EASY TO REPAIR AND FLOW TEST. PLUS WE HAVE GOTTON REALLY GOOD SERVICE ON PARTS DELIVERY.
    I HAVE AND STILL DO USE ISI'S. I DO NOT CARE FOR THEM. I FIND THE SCOTT'S MUCH MORE USER FRIENDLY AND WE SPEND ALOTT MORE TIME WITH MAINTENANCE ISSUES.
    GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW EQUIPMENT. TEST THEM ALL AND TEST THEM HARD. YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON THEM!

Forum Member

I have used MSA and SurvivAir. The SurvivAir wins that contest hands-down. Get each manufacturer you're considering to loan you two units and run them through some tests - go with what works best for you.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

MembersZone Subscriber

we use scott 50's with integrated pass and truly like them more than any other i've used. we have had scott 2a's and 2.2's which were still better than most. tried msa's for a few weeks with super light weight bottles the had real good field of vision and face mounted regulator but still like scott's.

sergeant/driver emt-iv
    johnson city, tennessee

Thread Information