Talking So what made you first want to do it?

Now, now, get yer minds out of the gutter

I am talking about what made you first want to become a firefighter?

This may have been discussed before, and for that I apologize, but I am new here and curious. I get asked this a lot as the only female on an all-male department and I love hearing other's stories.

Some have wanted this all their lives, other were inspired by outside influences at one time or another. Whatever it is, each of us have our story.

Just curious...share if ya wanna.

-red
    ~*~You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do.~*~
    ~~Eleanor Roosevelt~~

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

It's in my blood, I'm 2nd generation. And after years and years of watching what was going on, I didn't think twice about joining when they asked me if I wanted an application for the new Junior program shortly after I turned 16. I ended up being the first Junior in Waynesboro since God knows how long, and I still am the only one in the department.
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

Forum Member

I'll join WFDjr as a 2nd generation with a twist.

While my dad was a firefighter for 44 years and I grew up living next to his fire company I never really wanted to join the fire service until I got married. My father in law was Chief of his company at the time and my wife was in the auxilliary so I got to work a lot of events before I got gear and went to my first school.

As I look back on it now I think that I didn't want to join my dad's company since he had such big shoes to fill and follow in. Being the chief's son in law was a lot easier to deal with.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Yea I also am a second generation fireman, my father was chief when i was born and i watched and worked alot around the fire house at a young age. Now i am 27 with 8 years experience and its been the best time of my life.
    There's an old saying around the firehouse."You
    don't have to watch your back, because you know someone else is watching it for you"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Never Any Question........

Never gave this a thought.....My grandfather was among the 22 founding members of our company in 1928, My father and his brothers all joined as soon as they became old enough. My brother and I, along with some cousins, were the third generation. I started riding (offically) at age 16 (1958) and was hired as a paid driver in 1965. Retiring in 1985, the year we got our twenty-and-out-at-50% in our union contract, I continued volunteering, and moving up through the ranks, becoming chief in 1998. Several of my children, and some nieces and nephews, followed the family tradition of volunteering, and now our oldest grandson has several years on, the first of the fifth generation at the same VFD. I don't think this is that unusual way out in the rural areas, but in the history of our company we have gone from way out rural to urban. As midnight approached on new years eve in 1958, we sat around waiting for one more run to get an even 200 for the year. Our 2001 total was 7,861 ! Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Default Everything happens for a reason ...

When I was 15, our family car moved itself up on to the back porch steps and burnt up. Thank goodness for brick steps. My step father and I pulled the car away from the porch before the fire could spread to the house. It did start to melt some of the vinyl trim and siding. It burnt my bicycle and destroyed the car (my present and future transportation).

After that night, I started hanging around the fire house. I must have put more soap and water on trucks than you can imagine. And when the siren on top the fire house would sound the alarm, I would jump on my bicycle and ride 2 miles to get to the fire house. I still wasn't a member, but I would help clean the equipment up afterwards.

When I turned 16 I joined the department that I worked so hard for. And have been doing it ever since. I'm at my third different department (because I got married and moved) and working on year number 16. With nothng more than a thank you for a pay check.

That's why I think that everything happens for a reason.
    Another lifetime volunteer proud to serve my community.

Forum Member

I am a 3rd Generation volunteer firefighter with fire department in my home town. I'm 2nd generation career firefighter.
    I had always enjoyed seeing the joy and pride my grandfather and father found in the volunteer fire department. When I was 15 I helped create and lead an Explorer Post of, at the time, 8 boys. I took all the classes I could as a high school student and on my 18th birthday became a member of the VFD.
    I started testing with career departments when I was 18. I didn't ever have much luck that young. When I was 21 I was hired as a firefighter and I've loved every minute of it since. I have remained an active volunteer on my days off. Last week I tested with a fulltime department in the county I grew up in. I recieved official notification yesterday that I scored #5 on the list they are going to hire up to 7 firefighters off of.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

4th generation here... It was all I knew. I never considered doing anything else but the job. My whole family was in it. Uncles and aunts marrying FF's... It is all I know and it is all I WANT TO KNOW! FTM's!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member
    Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Thumbs up

same here for the most of the responses. it's in my blood, i'm a third generation firefighter and wouldn't change for anything.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

MembersZone Subscriber

I too am a 2nd generation firefighter. My father was a founding member of the Township Fire Dept., volunteer, for the townships around the city of Eau Claire back in 1960. I grew up watching my Dad get up and go to fires and even brought me on a few when I was around 12 or so. Mom says she was almost worried about me because as soon as I was able to hold a crayon I was drawing fire trucks and talking about fire.

At 17 years old I joined the Explorer Post 800 in Altoona, WI with 12 other charter members just across the lake from where I grew up and have been there ever since. Started as Captain of the Explorers, went from firefighter to Lieutenant then training officer of the Dept. in 11 years. I'm also an instructor at the local technical college as well. Also in that 11years I worked full time at the Airport Fire Dept, Crash Fire Rescue for 4 1/2 years, the last 2 years of that was Fire Chief there. Now, I'm a dispatcher for the county and also a part time cop. Talk about doing all aspect aye!

Now that I take a second and think back, it's been a long crazy ride but it would not have happened if it wasn't for my Dad and the Explorer Post. Now of the original 12 members, 6 have become full time career firefighters, including the original Advisor. There is something to be said about Explorer posts that's for sure.

Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Forum Member

Talking

I was originally a 2nd generation EMS provider, married someone who became a 2nd generation FF. Once he started taking EMS classes, I started taking FF classes, and I wished I had done it a long time ago.

Sandy, NR-EMT-P/FF II

Sr. Information Officer

Question WHY???

The year: 1963

The circumstances: Extreme drought in the northeast states. Hundreds of brush and forest fires were burning throughout the northern New Jersey area.

The result: Members of Boy Scout Troop 256 are asked to assist firefighters by patrolling firelines. They do not directly fight any fire...however, they report activity in and around control lines.

I was 11 years old in 1963. I was one of those Scouts that assisted in monitoring the fires. The smoke must have penetrated my veins. In the autumn of 1970, I turned 18 and became eligible as a firefighter/crewmember for the State Forest Fire Service. It became a passion. I also joined the municipal fire department as a volunteer and did both wildland and municipal firefighting for 19 years...until I could no longer maintain both efforts. I resigned the municipal dept. and now direct my firefighting passion towards wildfires.

It might go back to an uncle who was a member of the Peekskill, NY fire dept., who brought me to the firehouse on occasion...OR another uncle who was a member of the Wallington, NJ fire dept., who also allowed me to visit the firehouse. Those men probably initiated the "desire"...and I thank them for that. It's been a great experience for the last 32 plus years.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Permanently Removed

Default Come on...

Those "in my blood" answers are too bland. Say the real
    reason- FOUR DAYS AND PAYDAYS, BABY!

Besides; a suit, tie and 40+ hour work week? Actually
    stopping at red traffic lights, pleeeease...get real.
    Besides, this profession allows me to pose in a calendar
    and get chick's phone numbers. (ahhh, its getting thick now)

Seriously, beening a paid, professional Firefighter is the
    best job in the world. I look back at all of the hard work
    and know all the sacrafices (not buying a home, not getting
    married, trying for every test) was worth it.

Only problem, the fire helmet messes up my GQ hair cut,
    better talk to the Chief about that.....

Forum Member

the main reason is i grew up at the station being the assn cheifs son
    also they helped save my life when i was about 6 months old
    so there you have it
    i love helping people
    2197 10-8
    2197 10-8<br />stay safe have fun stay healthy<br />
    nc firefighter/emt-d
    RFB-FTM

Forum Member

Here are the REAL reasons.

1) Chicks dig firemen

2) Firepole!! (Unfortunately I came up empty on both)

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Brett........?

4 Days?????? Those of us in realityville (east coast) work 24/72 ! As for the hairdo, that is a problem with tactical tupperware, everywhere. Bell means phones, not hats. (ha,ha,ha) Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Permanently Removed

Default 4 days baby...

H Woods- Trust me, the 3/4 or 2x4 schedule is the only way
    to go. You guys need to pony up and get that switched.
    Here is a sample for you...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information