Thread: What About Us?

Default What About Us?

Our Department has not received the turn down letter and has not received any 5 questions or anything about the grant. Does something not seem right. It is getting late in the grant process and like I said we have failed to receive a TURN DOWN letter and/or e-mail saying we have or have not gotten the grant. What do you think is going on?

MembersZone Subscriber

Custer, If I am reading the figures correctly, they are only about half way through the process to date. We hit in Round 6, after chewing nails for a year and a half. Didn't get any notice last year until it was nearly over. If you've survived this far, keep the faith.
    The first 150 million had to be rushed to meet the funding deadline. Wouldn't surprise me if things slowed down a bit now. Wish you well.

Don, Asst Chief
    Lakeview Heights FPD
    Central MO

Default What About Us?

Well we are really hoping to get the word sometime during this grant process. Our 2 engines are over 30 years old and they are just wore out. This is our second year for trying we really need something....Thanks for replying back

Default waiting on round seven

We got a grant in round 6,but the questions came via phone 3 weeks before the fax from our Congressman telling us we had been awarded the grant. Keep the faith and don't give up. We have a brush buggy that is 40 years old( hand me down from the state)so we sorta know what you are talking about. We applied for a truck last year and didn't get approved so we are building our own. I see where you are from LV, From what I have seen up there everyone has Custom FANCY 4 door engines. I hope you all luck,but I hope you didn't apply for one of those as they are plenty of other options. Good LUCK. Makes my heart feel good when us poor folks get something back instead of sending it the other way.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got a great idea for a fund raiser...
    Let's have a drag race between your 40 year old brush rig and our 1954 Chevy Pumper (First out truck and just passed pump certs.)By the way, the same day one of our neighbors shiny new rigs wouldn't pass tests. We giggled all the way home. We may all be poor folk, but we can kick @%& with the best of em.

Default What About Us?

Ha That would be an interesting site...Heck while we are at lets put our 1971 Engine in there to make it all that a Brush Truck , Pumper, and a Engine! That would be a site. But no seriously we have 2 engines and they are both over 30 years old and we need something.

Forum Member

Default Race

Do you mind if we throw our 1967 American LaFrance pumper into the race too!? That's if the clutch holds out. It's been replaced twice in 2 years. I expect next year's grant to really bring out the requests for vehicles. If there is $900 million available, then many departments, including ourselves, will feel that this is the best time to take a shot at vehicle funding.

Keep the faith and hang in there!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Sometimes older is better. The dept I started with in PA had a 1923 Ahrens-Fox, bought new in 1923 and restored in early 90s. Oldest active vehicle in Bucks County, since it's still listed on the response list, mostly used for tanker fills. The old piston pump would catch a draft in a heartbeat, and the pump is certified to 1160gpm. Not bad considering that is was built new to only pump at 1000gpm. It only does 35mph so it won't make the drag race. But it will draft faster than anything else. 30' of suction, 2 seconds from source to nozzle. Still holds the record at the Philly Navy Yard Muster I believe.

http://www.doylestownfireco.com/apparatus/apparatus.htm

A little off the subject, but sometimes I'd rather drive our 1983 1000gpm pumper on the Ford smiley-face chassis than the two 1999 1500gpm Quality's. Push a couple buttons and the thing is flowing water on it's own. Just like calculators in the classroom teach kids how to push buttons and not how to do math problems, drivers today are just that, they don't know how to really pump. I know guys that can get more out of that old pumper than some of the others can on the new one.

Anywho, to get off that soap box...

If anyone else wants me to post their narrative, email it to me in either text or Word format: brianv@firegraphics.org
    Don't forget to tell me if you've gotten the 1199a, 5 ?s, successful, unsuccessful, or still have everything crossed.
    www.firegraphics.org/grants.htm is the link for the main page.

Stay safe, and keep the faith.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

I wanna race!
    Can I enter our 1954 Peter Pirsch/Dodge ladder truck? It doesn't drive very fast, but the electricly driven ladder sets up much quicker than a hydraulic one.
    It also looks great in the annual Christmas Parade!
    Captain 203
    FF/EMT-CT

Default What About Us?

I think we could really do good with this drag racing of fire trucks. Heck our luck we would get paged out and would have to delay the race... It would be called the FIrst Annual Fire Truck Drag Race to Benefit the fire departments...... I think it would be a blast to have alittle fun sometimes with it just as long as there is safety. I would hope that if we don't get it this year and after 2 years of trying surely to god we can get it the 3rd year. Volunteers are getting harder and harder to get because they can't trust their equipment and they don't want to work with ancient stuff. We have about 20 people on our fire dept and 6 of whom are EMT's and we have 4 Explorer's. And we always have to fix our own stuff because we can't afford to get people to fix it. We run on about a 26,000 dollar budget/ year with 70% being donations/dues , 5% is fund raiser and 25% is state aid of 8,250 and grants that we may get. Our trucks are a 1993, 1986, 1974, 1974 and a 1971. The 93 is a Ford F-350 XLT 7.3L V8 which we bought brand new. So everyone keep little Custer Fire Dept. in your prayers that we get this grant. LOL

Have a Good One and Stay Safe.

John Betner
    Custer Area Vol. Fire Dept.

Unhappy What About Us?

just checked to see if there was a 1199a link there at the action area on the status page....

It not there!!!!!!!!!!!

O well

Maybe tomorrow lol

John Betner
    www.geocities.com/custerfr

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey, we have a '54 Dodge engine that still goes (doesn't stop as well as it used to unless someone with quads like Arnold Schwarzenegger is on the brakes, but you plan ahead when you have to stop!).

Where's the race?!?! Count us in!

Talking What About Us

Ha, you are entered!!! Dunno when and where and what the rules are hahahhaha.....Doubt our chiefs would like that lol........It would definately be interesting. But you know what I think I have the advantage. I have a 1971 in the race...So I think I have the advantage on the age thing.....

Everyone stay safe

John Betner
    Custer Fire Dept.

www.geocities.com/custerfr

Custer..a question..so many engines? What is your population and coverage area?

Forum Member

Default Older

BC79er, I hear you. I may complain about the clutch on the '67 but it passed pump testing with flying colors. Wouldn't be afraid to put it up against anything in its same class when it comes to pumping. Just needs some occaisional TLC. Only problem is sometimes the TLC can get expensive, even the nickels and dimes over time. Most of us agree though, if were were able to get a new/used pumper to replace it we would not part with it but instead take the attack lines, air packs, etc. off it and possibly increase the tank size to make us a tanker/pumper.

Stay safe.

Default What About Us

We have 2 engines and our population area is 4500 people in our fire area. We cover quite a bit of the county. I don't have the exact # of sq mi of it but we cover a good chunk of the area.

Stay Safe
    John Betner

Default Not this time in Round 7

Once again, no good in round 7. A neighboring dept about 15 mi from our Dept got 17 grand for Firefighting Operations and safety... Maybe something in round 8

Forum Member

Heres one for you guys. We cover 6 sq mi and 1200 people. But we do automatic first response on over 5000 sq miles. About the size of the entire state of Connecticut. Make for some long runs at 4 in the morn. 80 miles code 3 to an MVA is a hoot.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Forum Member

Default To wellsfr

Sounds to me like you all should have wrote a grant for a
    helicopter, heck never know would of probably got it..
    And remind me to never wreck out there, And good luck in
    the waiting game.

Forum Member

Default wellsfr

Boy, that makes it tough on the Golden Hour doesn't it! Backdraft, I'm riding with you!

Do you have an air evac helicopter available in your area? If so does it respond automatically as well or do you have to request it?

Still waiting on anything here. Nothing so far.

Keep the faith.
    Last edited by kprsn1; 10-16-2002 at 12:52 PM.

Forum Member

Default backdraft237

Thanx for the luck but round 6 was our lucky number. We're smilin and good luck to all and for all the departments that dont win this year. Its time to start gearing up for the BIG BUCKS in next years wheel of cash. Could be 900 mil next year still hope for the grand prize.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Lightbulb Antique fire Truck Drag Race

When you schedule that Drag Race we can bring our 1951 Dodge 1/4 Ton Brush truck.

It will do great as long as the race is Off Road , and it doesn't require any stops because most of the time the brakes don't work and we can't get parts for them.

Apparently it is too new to be replaced, according to FEMA, and we don't dare respond with it because of the physical condition of the truck.

But it makes a great conversation piece.

Scott Lang
    Assistant Chief
    Arlington Fire Department
    Arlington, Vermont

Default Ur In

I think that would be very popular lol and would attract alot of people

Maybe we get a grant in Round 8 but I doubt it

Stay Safe

John Betner
    Custer VFD

Thread Information