FIGJAM

Lightbulb Back To Basics- What Would You Do?

So we've had a fair share of technical extrication "What Would You Do's?", so here's a Back To Basic's that anyone could have a go at...

Remember this is an Australian car, so the driver is in the seat closest to the tree's.

Let's assume the driver is trapped- What Would You Do?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

FIGJAM

An interior view...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

Forum Member

- Option 1

Stabilize.

Glass.

Roof.

Remove the back of the drivers seat.

KED and backboard him out that way.

May have to push/jack/lift the dash from the pax side.

- Option 2

Stabilize.

Cut down the tree.

Glass.

Roof.

Door.
    www.gvfd.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Stabilize Always. Also assess the stability of the tree.

All extrications would be performed w/ C-collar & manual C-spine control. Consider use of KED for removal, however based on Amount of intrusion (MOI) coupled with entrapment - consider this a Rapid Ex evolution unless Pt.s condition presents otherwise)

Option 1
    Passenger Side Removal via FBB across seat & console area. Cross Corner Dash Pull if needed for leg entanglement.

Option 2
    Total Glass / roof removal. Remove seat back and extricate via FBB out across the back seat to the rear of the car. Dash Jack or Ram Push from center console area if needed for leg entanglement.

Option 3
    Tree Removal, Drivers Door Removal, and Dash Spread if needed for leg entanglement. Extricate through drivers door via FBB.

Option 4
    Wrecker and/or come-a-longs to move car from tree in controlled manner. Continue as in Option 3.

Option 5
    Total Glass / Roof Removal. Total Seat removal - extricate Pt. secured to seat - then transfer from seat to FBB once out of the car.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Forum Member

LLuke,Which side of the vehicle is the road on?T.C.

FIGJAM

101, if you look at the top photo, you will see a Police Officer standing on the opposite side of the car- that's the road, you back to front Yank!!!!
    Luke

Truckie

Stabilize the vehicle, stabilize the pt, cut that stupid tree down, remove as much car as needed to get the pt extricated starting at the roof and passenger door.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Lightbulb canaries;blue

Lissen, my lil' overstressed upside down buddy;one thing I've learned in over a quarter century of crash response is that the position of the blue canary in relation to the crashed vehicle is not necessarily a good indicator of where the main road is.Now that you've enlightened me,how about we winch the front out from around from the tree and do things in a normal fashion.Keep it up,I'm going to get Kiwi a round trip boat fare to go over and give you a good old fashioned Yank whoopin'!Hehe T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Regarding tree removal, I agree with this possibility but looking at that image, I don't know if a rescuer would be able to cut the trunks low enough to allow for unobstructed door or sidewall removal.

I think that if a crew initiated a tree removal effort, they would be wise to come up with a Plan 'B' just in case. Whether that is moving the vehicle or simply stabilizing in place and dismantling the vehicle in the position found, that would be a judgement call made by that crew at that scene.

Just this aspect of this Thread proves the value of always having a backup plan.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Not trying to suck up to the Moderator here, but I was wondering how effective removing the tree is going to be as well. The trunk looks pretty thick just above ground level.

As much has I have resisted moving the vehicle in some of the scenarios we've discussed, I think it would be prudent here. With the intrusion into the driver's side, I'm willing to bet that a roof removal isn't going to be all that's needed--the right side of the car is going to have to go.

So, my plan:

Move car away from tree. Stabilize. Flip roof. Remove right side door, or the whole sidewall.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

FIGJAM

For the real life situation, the driver climbed out of the car by themself with no help from anyone- lucky is all I can say!!!!

As for this scenario, I'd go with spinal immobilization.

Disconnect battery.

This model car has no SRS to worry about.

Then I'd winch the car off the tree- we've done this a few times with freat results.

Stabilise the vehicle.

Place a ram from the passenger side to the drivers side and push the side of the car out.

Remove rear window.

Spine board in through back.

Lay seat back. (If it won't recline, cut it to force it.)

Casaulty onto board and remove out rear window for spinal stability.
    Luke

Forum Member

That's just like you Luke;I just get you so you're good at greet and treat and then you go and take a new job.Care package coming your way first of next week,better be rounding me up some t-shirts.Hehe T.C.

Forum Member

Ron,why would you consider cutting the tree in those tight quarters when you can winch the car OFF the tree in less than a quarter of the time?A small winch,even a pair of come-alongs will swing the front of the car off the tree quite handily with no adverse effects to the patient.Cutting this particular tree could be a bit tricky in as much as the metal has bent down as well as around the tree.Questions are derived from your own teachings,to do things quickly and safely and think "outside" the box.T.C.

Thread Information