Thread: Sawsall test

Forum Member

Default Sawsall test

For a number of years we've had two 6.5 amp sawsalls on our rig.Since I've always wanted one of my own for my business,I recently purchased a 11.5 amp Super sawsall.During extrication training the other night,I decided to conduct a experiment to see if there would be a marked advantage to upgrading our two old friends.Both the 6.5 and the 11.5 were fitted with new identical Torch blades and given to an inexperienced member of the crew to make identical cuts of the A posts on one of the training vehicles.In two passes,an interesting piece of data was obtained.The 11.5 was CONSISTANTLY 66% quicker in cutting the posts.I plan to run a few more tests but if the data holds up we will be upgrading the 6.5's to the Supersawsalls.Just wondering if any of the rest of you have any data to share about 'cips or blade preferences.T.C.

Thanks for the research, I have heard opinions as to how the "BIG" saws can tend to Do more ( bucking and such) to the inexperienced operator than to the material being cut. I see you have addresses this in your preliminary evaluation. Not knowing what your budget is, I would like to humbly suggest that through our NEW Friends the Battery Powered Cip saws in to the Testing Pool. From what I have been told the 18 volt and 24 volt saws still do not match the power of the 11 Amp tiger saw and supper saw-z-all (and what ever other brand name that makes 11 (+ or -) Amp saws However there cordless nature may add some time advantages. Again thanks for the Research and Please Keep up the good work!
    Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
    Carl D. Avery

Forum Member

Carl,I like the concept of cordless tools.We're not quite ready for them yet.My biggest fear is that as a paid call Dept. that the batteries won't be maintained correctly.The units that go to MVA's all have generators and cords on reels on them.At least one of them will start.Deployment time difference with this system is minimal.The cordless gives you a great deal more flexibility but it isn't worth a lick if someone forgot to keep the batteries charged.We'll work to it and through it but for right now they will be corded.T.C.

Smile

Thanks, and YES I WILL TAKE WHAT I CAN GET! So much of what we do is based on best guess. this ain't alwasy bad, some great things come out of best guessing, but it is nice to see someone back up this with a head to head comparison. Wish we could see more of this. Of course it will always be like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. It often has as much to do with personal preferences as anything! But Objective testing is good to see and if nothing else makes us all look at the preconcieved notions we all have! Maybe Tim the TOOL MANwas right, More POWER = BETTER eh eh!!, When you get a chance please out line your test methods so we can look at the data in an objective manor. Not Doubting your word at all but knowing the test helps us all evaluate the data!
    Rescue is the Art & Science of matching your tools, talents and tricks to needs of our customers!
    Carl D. Avery

Forum Member

Carl,This WASN"T a UL test.Subject vehicle was a 88 Dodge Shadow.Cut area was 4" up from the hood hinge.Two cuts,one with each saw were made on each side.Time was 1min 16sec for the 6.5 and 31 sec for the 11.5. There is more "reaction" as you noted to the 11.5. However it is managable and considering the time/speed advantage is well worth the trade off.The fast attach blade feature is nice too.Next trial will involve trying the "orbital"feature vs the "Sraight"cut.Windshields and roofs will also be evaluated.Always learning and since I take so much out of this Forum,I thought I'd try to put a little back.I gonna catch up with you someday,and we will have a nice chat. T.C.

Thread Information