Default Beginner training... need advice!

I've been searching all over the web for information on Firefighter training. I've found a few that sound pretty good, but I was wondering if you guys (especially those of you that do the hiring) would mind taking a look at them for me.

FireLearn.com
    http://www.firelearn.com/

John Jay College of Criminal Justice
    http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/~tflan/index.htm

I've e-mailed both places, and they both sound like good programs. The program through Firelearn.com states:

"Our entire 18-course program allows you to obtain an official certification testifying that you have attained the NFPA 1001 level."
    I've also checked with my local college, and unfortunately, the "beginners" fire-science courses have already started, and do not restart until next fall. Any advice you've got, I would greatly appreciate. I don't want to spend a lot of money on training if it's not going to be considered when I go for a full-time FF job.

Thanks again!

-Tim

Forum Member

I applaud your enthusiasm, but I disagree with the way that you are approaching this. First of all, most fire departments will not only pay for your training, but will also pay you while you are being trained once you PASS THE TEST. Most paid fire positions are civil service jobs. You need to look at what is required to take the test. Some departments require that you be a certified paramedic to take the firefighter exam. Others require that you have Firefighter II certification. Fire science classes won't help you with either of these requirements. Most exams for large departments require no fire service background. They prefer to train you themselves.

Talk to firefighters in your area. Visit a variety of fire departments. Find out which departments are testing and what their requirements are. Make sure that the time and money that you spend are applied to programs that will help you get hired. Once you are in, you will find that the fire science classes you mention will help you advance in your career. The best part is that many departments will help pay your tuition. The important thing is to pass the test and get hired.

Really?

I was under the assumption that I needed to have some sort of schooling/training before hand... or at least to help get a foot in the door. Thank you for the information. I'm going to try and get to a few stations within the next few days. I called the one closest to me, but the Chief is usually gone by the time I get off of work, so I don't know how I'm going to get a hold of him... but I'll figure something out.

Thanks again!

-Tim

It kind of depends, when I came on 25 years ago the dept. put you through the academy and paid you while you did it. Now days they expect you to be a minimum firefighter/emt before you even apply, and a medic is a plus. What some guys do is go throught the academy/emt then apply to all of the depts that they can. They work wherever they have to while they continue to apply to where they really want to work. (hey, it pays the bills). That way they develope a fire dept work history. I know of a guy who worked in 3 different departments before he got to the one he wanted. Just don't waste too much time doing this, eventually you want to be vested into a pension system somewhere.-Good luck.

Thread Information