MembersZone Subscriber

Default Enclosed Pump Panel

I returned home yesterday from a trip to see my wife's family in Montreal, Canada. While there, I stopped by their fire museum which is also attached to an operating firehouse. The museum is great but I was most intrigued by the relatively new engine in the firehouse. I can't remember the maker but it had a "command" type cab with a top-mounted pump panel that was enclosed inside the cab. My tour guide, Mark, told me that it is not uncommon for temperatures to reach minus 30 degrees in the winter. The new rig keeps the pump operator comfortably out of the elements and they have a 360 degree view of the apparatus. Mark told me that all of the new apparatus is coming through that way. I think that this is a great idea for the winter and if the cab has A/C it would be great in the summer also. I had never heard of this concept before let alone have seen one. Does anyone in the U.S. operate one?

MembersZone Subscriber

I have seen them around here before. I believe KME made it.

It's not much more than a standard top mount pump panel with the cab wrapped around it.

I can see the huge advantage of having the MPO kept out of the elements however, I'm not sure I'd like being "closed up" like that with limited hearing on what's going on.

Forum Member

The Montreal Pumpers were built by Superior Emergency Vehicles in Red Deer, AB Canada. Spartan Chassis. All valves are cable controled and can be operated with 1 finger. Another neat feature on the Montreal units is the kneeling tailboard. Park brake applied and a flip of a switch the tailboard lowers to about 8" off the ground for easy loading. Release the brake and the unit returns to road height in seconds. Picture of the latest ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Operators panel
    Attached Images Attached Images  

We just received out third top mount enclosed pump panel in August. They have been well received by the members of the dept. They have their pros and cons but we feel the pros win out hands down.

All three were built by Pierce.

Thread Information