Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Where to find Grant Narratives.....

This is an attempt to create a place where anyone can find all the research material they need in order to write a narrative for a grant.

Please post any known links for finding narratives for the fire grant whether successful or not.

Thanks,

FIREFIGHTER HELPING EACH OTHER

FH Mag/.com Contributor

www.firegraphics.org/grants.htm

This is my web site that I've had for a while and since I got so much space left over I decided to open it up for anyone that wants me to post their narrative. Unsuccessful, successful, or waiting to hear. That way people can get a decent idea of different narratives, what worked, and what didn't.

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Administrator

Just a reminder you can find narratives right here on Firehouse.com as well as success stories from throughout the country. Please also e-mail narratives and stories to news@firehouse.com

Successful Narratives
    http://www.firehouse.com/funding/fireact/2002/0905.html

Success Stories
    http://www.firehouse.com/funding/fir...2/success.html

Permanently Removed

I think it is important to remeber that the narrative is not the most important part. More important is answering the questions for the computer grading process properly.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Certainly answering the questions determines your initial scoring. In another thread we had a similar discussion about answering the questions. Someone had put No for the RIT benefit question, when applying for SCBA and PPE. The department only had a handful of SCBA and very old turnouts, and with current equipment would not be able to support a RIT. When in fact, had they gotten the grant, they would have been able to begin creating a RIT. So the answer should have been Yes.

My personal experience was to read, re-read, then re-read the program rules before creating our narrative. Then read every available narrative I could find, successfull or unsuccessful. There are common themes in all successful grants, no matter who the application went to. I read several grants that went to private organizations as well as fire department related applications. Information is your strongest ally in a program such as this. Take the project and make sure that it can be applied to the rules and benefits that FEMA is hoping to achieve by awarding a grant for your project. Look at all possible benefits of the project. SCBA and PPE is the basis for a RIT team, not only basic firefighting. Then tools, then properly equipped vehicles. I would hope that everyone that applied for thermal imagers checked the Yes box for RIT, since it CAN be used for a RIT purpose. It doesn't have to be the primary purpose for the project you're trying to fund, just one of the benefits.

Another thing would be the tool we're using right now, this forum. I didn't see a whole lot of activity prior to the application period ending. This would be a great place to get some specifics out of someone else. Not that I know everything, but I will always give an objective opinion. We're not competing against each other for these monies. We're all in it together, so as long as someone gets some benefit somewhere, we all win. The computer scoring is just the first step in getting to have your narrative read. If the narrative isn't good, you'll get Dear John'ed anyway. So trying to beat the computer by answering the questions the way you think they need to be answered to increase your score, won't help you in the end anyway.

Stay Safe,

Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Permanently Removed

Yes, that is true, we were the ones who answered no to the RIT question when we could have answered yes. My reading of the question was do you have a RIT or would this support one. We do not have a "formal" RIT team nor was there a plan to put one together. That was the answer I got from the chief. At the same time we are trying to support the two in two waiting thing. We are actually trying to support a pseudo RIT team. We could have used the loose interpretation, instead we went with the more formal definition. I guess it would have been helpful had they defined RIT. Oh well, live and learn.

From what I have seen of the grant process the computer scores are being used to prioritize the grant request. The narrative is being used as backup info.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Again, I don't mean any offense or anything, but hopefully it helps for next year. They've said several times that even successful narratives weren't perfect so don't copy. The biggest thing is to effectively communicate the need for whatever is being applied for. Statistics are a big one. Have a lot of woodlands and need a brush truck, show some stats on how quickly fire can spread and how important it is to have that brush truck to get off the road and hit it right away instead of sending crews in with wildland pack. Never be afraid to restate obvious stuff. I mentioned the "golden hour" in my narrative. Every one knows what it is, and how important it is, but if it's not specifically mentioned, the reviewers might not assume that's what the point is. Stuff like that is what I picked up all over the place.

And you are right about the RIT question being kind of misleading. Especially since "Team" is the last word. It does lend itself to the assumption of a formalized team. Lucky for me that our department was already working on one. Otherwise I don't know that I would have answered that question the same.

If I can dig out some of the other narratives that I learned from, I will make a link to the ZIP file on the grants page on my site for people to download if they're interested. Some are from the Technology Opportunity Program (TOP) applications, another federal program that the fire service can apply to for technology-oriented equipment (radios, pagers, computers, etc).

Permanently Removed

Oh no offense taken. Just be aware, that it will help for next year. I wish I had been involved in the grant for the previous year too. Last year a couple of people got together and put together something for a new truck and some new gear. It didn't get funded so they thought it was a waste of time to apply. Now that I have gained the experience next years grant request will focus first on answering the questions for the computer scoring, second will be the narrative which supports the answers.

My narrative did include stats from the US Census showing that we live in an economically depressed area. Unfortuantely, if it doesn't get read it means nothing.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

I meant more fire-related stats. They didn't seem to be concerned with the economic conditions of the area served. Especially considering that Houston for $750K for exercise equipment for all of their stations. Now that would be a narrative to read over....

Permanently Removed

Well all of the fire related stats were on the questionaire. District size,population, and call volume. I have to believe those figured into the score.

I can understand getting exercise equipment and establishing a fitness program. Healthy and fit firefighters can do the job better as well as pose less risk to themselves from heart attack or over exertion. However, it seems you should assure that the folks going interior have the best equipment first, then you add the nice to have things. I mean let's face it. One can get physical training without having any equipment. Jog around the block, do push ups, sit ups, etc. Seems the priorities are off here.

Thread Information