Question Class A Foam for us?

Hey all you departments that use Foam. I need your help. We are now using Class B foam, but I think that Class A foam would be useful in our area. But its hard for me to convince the older guys. We are a rural area where there are no hydrants and water tankers are our hydrants. Wouldnt Class A foam reduce the amount of water needed? If so, since we have maybe one structure fire a year wouldn't it be economical for us just to use our inline eductor and but 5 gallon buckets of class A? Also can the Class A buckets be dumped into our water tank on the pumper and used during the entire fire? What are your opinions? Thanks
    Colby Rigg
    Safety Officer
    "The funny thing about firemen. Night and day they're always firemen."

Forum Member

Try here http://www.wfrfire.com/website/articles/foam2.htm . We have tried foam in the tank and it does help but it is more effective applied with a foam system or eductor. Less waist this way also. At $15 to $20 a gal it adds up and on a structure even at 1% it goes pretty fast. We use it primarily on wildland fires. There are some wet water type products that you add a quart to a tank of water that work pretty well.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Thread Information