Forum Member

Lightbulb Any Good deals out there?

I am wondering if anyone that has been awarded a grant has gotten any good deals on equipment? We are buying SCBA's, gear, and a thermal imager. The only deal we have been offered is a free spare bottle with the scba(not a bad deal). Just wondered if anyone has had any success with the vendors.

MembersZone Subscriber

I will let you know. We have had MSA in for all three shifts and now have just had Scott in for three days. No prices until we tell them which one we want and the options that we want. It appears that Scott is out in front up to this point. There is not as many options but they seem to be simpler and more common sense wise. It will really make a difference when we determine what pressure to buy. Also needs are there to be capable of being used with neighboring departments. Make sure you think it over real good before jumping!! Let me know which one you decide on.

Stay Safe<
    MABAS Division #102 Racine County Wisconsin

Forum Member

We had the surviair rep in the other night. Our best deal was on our state contract but the new heads up display just came out and we dont have a hard price on that option yet. NFPA requires all new air paks to have HUD by march 2003 Will be more money but we opted for that option and Buddy Breather. Had to give up spare tanks, didnt ask for enough money. Real nice compared to our old scotts and survivair.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Default Our good deal

Last December, we purchased 14 MSA Ultralite SCBA's with 30 minute composite bottles, 14 spare 30 minute composite bottles, 25 masks in various sizes ( one for each firefighter), one rescue hose for connection between SCBA's, and a complete 3 bottle cascade system. It cost us $52,000.00. (Actually, $25,000.00 last December, and $27,000.00 this December.)
    Non Volunteering Volunteer (Retired)

Forum Member

Here are a couple of bids we have so far,
    bidding for 16 SCBA. 2216 psi
    Scott AP50 2.2, with aluminum cylinder W/ quick disconnect. $1701
    Pak Alert (PASS) $425
    Extra aluminum cylinder $371
    Voice amplifier $226
    They will offer us a little bit of trade in, around $150 to $200 each for our Survivair XL-30's. We will probably only order 4 voice ampifiers.
    Survivair Panther - (Bell & Analog w/ visual alarm), Aluminum cylinder, compass Pass device, Free extra aluminum cylinder for each.
    $2050 each.
    We are not going with the HUD option,
    We have decided on the Scotts, The survivair are good also except for the fact that the regulator can be knocked off of the mask by accidently bumping the two release bottons. The salesman even agreed with this one, and the volunteer dept he is on has Scott even though he sells Survivair.
    also
    1200 feet of 3 inch national N-Dura hose, (orange) $158 per section
    800 feet of 1 1/2 inch national N-Dura, )orange) $70 per section.
    We havent finished our specs on our turnouts yet, there are a million options for them.
    Stay Safe !!!!
    Tyler

Default spare bottles

wellsfr, don't give up those spare bottles yet I saw some from dalmationfire.com for good price on reconditioned bottles 195 dollars or so... anyway thought it might help you get a little extra mileage out of your grant money.

We have just gotten in a MSA and Scott Thermal Imaging Camera. Bullard is supposed to bring one today. We will take them into a real fire and see how they hold up. Just keep in mind, after winning your grant you have to have the money spent 30 days after you request it so that you don't collect interest, so make sure your decisions are made before you request your money from FEMA. I will let you know what turns out next week on the Cameras. By doing the research, I favor the Bullard but we haven't had them in a live burn- do that this weekend. But again, I'll let you know what our findings are. Will also let you know the prices. I think right now, we can get a GREAT deal on the MSA's,but we will see. I have one of the most knowledgable Chief's in the field so I'm sure he will weigh every option.

Forum Member

Default ayermedic

Thanx for the tip. But our budget is down to the penney at this point.
    Will use our old bottles as spares and buy new as they reach the end of thier life span. We could save some money by not getting the HUD display but our feeling is it will keep us a little more compatable with any new stuff we will get in the future as the HUD will be required on any new scba after February. Also at this point we are unsure as to how long it will take for funds to be available (I know fema says 3 weeks but who knows)fema doesnt want you to to keep the money for any longer than 3 weeks and it will take at least 8 weeks to build the scba. So in a nut shell any scba orders after the end of DEC will have to be ordered with HUD because by the time they are finished they will not comply with NFPA. I feel like Im in the Twilight Zone here. We will stick with survivair because of compatability with surrounding departments, service issues and the fact we have 2 survivair techs on the department, and we feel the new Panther is a great product as well.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Forum Member

If anyone is interested in SCBA for their grants.
    Dalmatian Fire & Safety has some 2001 model Survivair Panther Complete
    with Compass Pass device, ADAM gauge & Electronic alarm, Twenty-Twenty Silicone Facepiece, with Classic Small Talk voice amplification system , and an extra bottle for each for $1,895 per SCBA.
    Contact Kim Holman at Dalmatian Fire @ 1-800-436-6450 or
    safety@dalmatianfire.com
    or go to their website at
    www.dalmatianfire.com
    Tell Kim you want the price he quoted me,
    Thanks, Captain Tyler Sitzer.
    Weiner Vol Fire & Rescue
    Weiner, ARK.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Watch out for Mail order SCBA or other Equipment

Just a little note to tell everyone a little horror story. We took bids on SCBA's and Scott came in the cheapest. The problem was our local Scott Dealer was not the low bid so we bought Scotts from a national Company. We found out why they were so cheap, it wasn't because they were rebuilt or used airpaks it was because they don't have a person in the area. We needed training on the newer airpaks and guess what they didn't have anyone in the area to help us since they were over 1000 miles away from us and the local dealer didn't want to do it and who could blame him he lost the order for 800 dollars. Well we have have learned service is a commodity just like the airpaks themselves, if you want service you are going to pay alittle more for it. We won't deal with anymore so called National account dealers on anything anymore we will support the guys that call on us and support us all year round it is nice to have them come in and ask you FACE TO FACE how is everything instead of being a cold voice over the phone. yes they might be a little more expensive then the so called mail order people but they have time invested into to you and your department unlike the people that only have a 25 cent phonecall and a lowball bid. I WANT SERVICE AFTER THE SELL. The mailorder companies and phone compainies can't provide it to you.

Thread Information