Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
    Still looking for Waldo. Have you seen him?

Default Just venting some steam...

Just a rant to clear my head here...but if you go on EBay and search for IAFF, you'll see idiots selling IAFF stickers to anybody with money. Am I the only guy who thinks this is BS?

People are more than happy to pay $10 for a sticker. I would like to think that the sellers are not IAFF members, but there was one guy today selling the gold ones (that our Union dues pay to manufacture and distribute), and said that he had 20 of them. Sounds like a Union member to me.

It just doesn't seem right. If you know of any members doing this...please "counsel" them.

OK, I'm done ranting. I feel better.

Default Re: Just venting some steam...

Originally posted by In&Up
    Just a rant to clear my head here...but if you go on EBay and search for IAFF, you'll see idiots selling IAFF stickers to anybody with money. Am I the only guy who thinks this is BS?
    I hear you BROTHER!!! It is BULL*****.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

I too have seen IAFF stickers being sold on eBay.... and as a 21 year member of the Marlborough Firefighters Union, Local 1714 IAFF, it sickens me.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Yes, this is a subject that has frosted my proverbial spheroids for a while now. I have even gone so far as to e-mail the sellers, asking them if they are confirming that the buyers are union members in good standing. None of them have answered me. While we are on the subject, when I see a vollie, and I have nothing against vollies, having come from them in the first place, with a union sticker in their window, I make it a point to ask them how much of their weekly paycheck they are giving to my union for the priviledge of displaying that sticker. This is becoming a real problem. Perhaps if the offending sellers can be identified, and they are a union member, then are sanctions in order? I hate fakers!
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

Get the license plates. Those can only be aquired through the union here in Ohio. Stickers mean nothing...

Edited for spelling
    Last edited by firemangeorge; 10-23-2002 at 08:16 PM.
    See You At The Big One

Heh, first off you should chastise the IDIOT who would pay for one. I wouldn't give 2 cents for one of those things!
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

This makes me sick. Also as a soon to be ex-volunteer, I have been approached by guys in the volly house to "get a sticker for me". I flatly refuse. I busted my ***** to get the greatest job in the world and earned the right to be in the union, I refuse to give these out to anybody, including my parents! They should find this miscreant and if he is a member, EXPEL him.

CW- I wouldn't pay 2 cents for one either, that's what I pay dues for!!!
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

CW7704:

I'm glad to hear that at least one volunteer won't patronize these sellers. I wish more were like you.

Forum Member

I wouldn't put that ugly thing in my car.

I don't see why a vol., like myself would buy one.
    Why try to act like someone you are not.

I feel it is a slap in the face to you guys.
    You work very hard to earn that sticker, and
    now some jacka#$ sells it on e-bay. This should
    be stopped.

Thanks for the thoughts, brother. We appreciate your integrity!

Default doe heads

Can't these people be reported to the union and have them investigate the problem?There must be something that can be done even if the union got in touch with the web masters at ebay and explained the issue at hand, may be we should all flood ebay with emails in protest!
    firedog105
    stay safe!

About a year ago I noticed the IAFF stickers for sale on E-BAY. I e-mailed e-bay with a complaint that these are copyright protected labels. I also contacted our local sec. to notify IAFF in DC and see if we can legally do something to have these items banned from being sold. D/C basically stated that they are copyright protected but not worth the fight. E-bay also, stated they couldn't stop them selling the IAFF items. I then contacted sellers that were listing them tell them how I feel. Some replied they would list them as collectibles and not to put them in windows. Big Deal!! I obviously agree we need to let the local members know this is BS and needs to stop. My rant is over. That felt good!!

Forum Member

Not worth the fight?

That is B.S. Sure it is a sticker
    and the union has more important things worry about,
    but come on. Like I said before that is disrespectful
    to all the career guys that earned that sticker.

Good luck guys, hope you find a way to do something about it.

Mike

Default Just a question...

Is it any worse for me to buy a IAFF sticker than to buy T-Shirts from other companies? What looks worse, an IAFF sticker on my car in a parking lot outside the bar, or sitting in the bar wearing FDNY shirts?

PS. I have neither as I belong to neither, but have seen many many shirts recently.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Default RE:BS

I don't think thats the point,The way I look at it is that we that are union members worked very long and hard to get to where we are at and to have people going around impersonating a union member is just stupid, if they want a union sticker let them put the time and money into earning one.
    firedog105
    stay safe!

Well bigfiredog, I would agree with you. I can't imagine who would want to go around impersonating a union member when they are not either.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber Engine5FF's Avatar

Default OOPS

One semi-related incident to tell you about. One of our Brothers sold his last pick-up truck and forgot to scrape the sticker from the back window, it just sliped his mind. The person who bought the truck was involved in the theft of liquor from a local bar and used the truck to transport said booze. Guess what showed up on the "film at 6:00"? Yup, a nice view of the back window, sticker and all.

So just a reminder to scrape off the stickers when you sell your car.

ps. do the people who sell the stickers at IAFF sanctioned web sites also check for union membership?
    "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Jeezus, you guys act like the IAFF is some type of Secret Society or something! Do you have a Secret Handshake???

Get real, your stickers and mechandise are NOT in demand as much as you would like to think. Not every Volunteer is creaming his shorts for an IAFF sticker. I think most of the people on E-bay are probably patch/t-shirt/FD memorabilia collectors.

Because I am not an FDNY member do I have to give back all of my T-shirts and my 9-11 Helmet Sticker>? Woops, I guess I better Scrape that Ladder 25 memorial sticker off my car and the FDNY memorial patch patch from my turnout sleeve! Well, while I am at it.....Got to get rid of the W6 sticker, god forbid someone think I am impersonating a Worcester Firefighter because I decided to remember thier fallen! Get real...I have more FD memorabilia from other departments than I can keep track of. Whenever I travel I get either a patch, a sticker or a T-shirt from places I visit. It is not that Big of a deal. Be glad people are willing to display stickers from your organization. It can give you some good PR, I mean after the IAFF tried to boycott a National Firefighter Memorial, you might need it!

BTW...I got some IAFF window stickers for sale....$5.00 a piece, Green ones, Gold Ones, Red ones.....even have the ones that go on the Inside of the window so they don't peel off!!! PM me for Info!!! HAHAHA..J/K..

Default Bitter Volly

Well mister CW7704
    TO START WITH YOU SOUND LIKE A VERY BITTER MAN? I SUSPECT THAT YOU TRIED TO JOIN THE RANKS OF THE IAFF, AND LET ME GUESS YOU DIDNT MAKE IT (really sorry to here that)!
    ANYHOW IF EVERY TOM DICK AND VOLLY IS RUNNING AROUND WITH THE IAFF STICKERS THAT OUR UNION DUES PAY FOR (guess you forgot about that)
    THEY LOOSE ALOT OF THERE APEAL,IM VERY GLAD TO HERE THAT YOU HAVE SOME TO SELL WHEN YOU GET THE MONEY FOR THEM YOU MIGHT WANT TO TAKE SOME OF IT AND GET YOUR SELF SOME GLASSES BECAUSE THIS FORUM IS FOR PAID FULLTIME,THE ONE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IS THE ONE BELOW HOW (FITTING)THIS ONE!!!!
    ONCE AGAIN HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THE NEXT TIME YOU TRY!(YEAH RRRRRIIIIGHT)!!!!!!!!!!!
    firedog105
    stay safe!

I SUSPECT THAT YOU TRIED TO JOIN THE RANKS OF THE IAFF, AND LET ME GUESS YOU DIDNT MAKE IT (
    Typical Career guy comeback when he is backed into a corner. No Jack off, I have not tried to join the ranks of the IAFF. And if I did, I would wipe my crack with the IAFF membership application. I work where I do for the sake of having a job, not for a union card that add 75 cents, might get me a cup of coffee.

ANYHOW IF EVERY TOM DICK AND VOLLY IS RUNNING AROUND WITH THE IAFF STICKERS THAT OUR UNION DUES PAY FOR
    Union dues that come out of your TAXPAYER funded salary. So essentially, your union is funded by tax dollars....isnt it illegal for a union to be funded by the public? so essentially, you are riding around with MY stickers. So if every Tom Dick and TICK (rhymes better) wants to ride around with MY stickers....go ahead Brethren, I encourage you to show where your tax dollars go. Maybe we can get them FOP, AFGE, AFSCME and NALC stickers too???

THIS FORUM IS FOR PAID FULLTIME,THE ONE YOU ARE LOOKING FOR IS THE ONE BELOW HOW (FITTING)THIS ONE!!!!
    Find a way to block me from it then....? BTW, I would hope you never try to get promoted. Your grammar is comical. Report Writing is a big part of being an Officer.

ONCE AGAIN HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THE NEXT TIME YOU TRY!(YEAH RRRRRIIIIGHT)!!!!!!!!!!!
    Nah, I prefer to stay where I am. The money is better, the hours are better and the benefits are awesome. And I didn't have to go crying to some union to fight for them!! Have a nice day at the Bargaining table big guy!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information