MembersZone Subscriber

Default Pediatric Packaging

A Posting from Forum Moderator Ron Moore

One thing bothers me when I listen to EMS instructors explain patient packaging to medical responder students. It seems that I hear "If the child is in a car seat, you package the kid in the seat and remove the entire seat to take them to the hospital'. Makes me always wonder what this instructor is going to do when confronted with an increasingly popular integrated child safety seat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you plan on doing for just this type of situation?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

MembersZone Subscriber

I suppose the same thing I would do for any other patient that I need to remove from a seated position:

1.) Apply C-collar and manual stabilization

2.) Apply short spine board or KED.

3.) Move to cot or long spine board and fill voids.

Taking the seat seems a little impractical.
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

C collar and KEDs are for kids. treat the same as a child not in a child seat, hold c-spine, keep body in neutral position, and extricate following protocol and common sense.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

Ron, your second pic is a little dark and I can't see well what that seat looks like. However there are a couple things I'd like to point out.

First, instructors go on the curriculum that is set by their state or follow national registry curriculum. Most curriculums are only evaluated every 3 to 5 years, so they are teaching what they know according to how it is spelled out in the curriculum they follow. If they sway and add something they haven't been authorized to teach and one of their students goes out and causes harm to a patient, it is them that will have to answer the subpeona to go infront of the grand jury.

Second, the seat you show in your first picture appears to me to be nothing more then a booster seat, not a car seat. In that situation you would provide spinal immoblization in the same fashion you would for anyone else in a car seat. It is proper procedure by most protocols/curriculums that if they are "in" a car seat, to pad the voids and transport. This is for basic spinal injuries, if their is A, or B, or C Compromise that goes out the window. The picture I can see, the patient would be sitting "on" a booster, and there is no sense in attempting to cut out the seat, it is not conforming, nor is it as rigid as a car seat.

FIGJAM

Interesting photos Ron. Never seen seats like that before....

We too have been taught to leave a child in a capsule if that is how they are found. The other option is to wrap them up in the KED as it will immobilize them and protect them....

Have seen both done very succesfully.
    Luke

Thread Information