Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default fire explorer- jr. firefighter -cadet

is there any difference between a cadet a fire explorer or a jr. firefighter. im a cadet and it seems like im the only one on here thats department has cadets it seems like there all fire explorers.

i could be wrong, but from my understanding an explorer and a junior are similiar. I think the explorers are found more in paid departments. The Juniors aren't as organized as the explorers wwhen it comes to the position and head of explorers. I think that the cadets are for younger kids around 13-15 years of age. I think im close. maybe someone can second me or correct my post. hope it helps.
    Burgess Wills
    Firefighter/EMT
    Windsor Vol. Fire Department
    Chuckatuck Vol. Fire Department

HNFC FF/President mdoddsjffhnfc's Avatar

from what i know, explorers are run through the FD and Boy Scouts if i'm not mistaken. Junior Firefighters are directly affiliated with that fire company. I think juniors have more responsibility on the scene or on the fireground (atleast we do)

I know a friend at my school whos a cadet, but not for fire. He's a Cadet with a BLS Squad. The only type of program i know of in Camden County is Junior Firefighter.
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Well as I understand it explorers are a part of the B.S.A. program. In my area its mostly cadets as I was for 4 years. Junoir as far as I know isn't really used. I guess its just a preference of the dept when the program is setup, I guess just like what type of car or color of a vehicle everyone has a preference.
    Just my 2 cents
    Mike

Originally posted by mdoddsjffhnfc
    from what i know, explorers are run through the FD and Boy Scouts if i'm not mistaken. Junior Firefighters are directly affiliated with that fire company. I think juniors have more responsibility on the scene or on the fireground (atleast we do)

I know a friend at my school whos a cadet, but not for fire. He's a Cadet with a BLS Squad. The only type of program i know of in Camden County is Junior Firefighter.

Hes correct, in my area anyways.. They seem to be different in all areas.

so basically there all the same just each department has a different name for them. am i right or wrong on that?

Explorer: A member of the Boy Scouts of America who is in a "post" sponsored by a fire department and insured to some extent by the BSA. It is for ages 14-21.

Junior: A member of a fire department between the ages of 16-18 who is insured entirely by that department.

Both groups are limited to exterior duties, rehab, etc.

I dont know what cadets are sorry i have never heard of them.

Forum Member

i think that jr's and cadets are the same thing just a preference of title by the dept. explorers are run mostly by the bsa.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

juniors and cadets are the same things.....while Explorers are through the Boy Scouts.....from what Ive seen juniors and cadets get to do more than explorers but that may not be true
    These opinions are my own, not of my company or my affiliates

2 in, 2 Out, Pass on, Collar up, SHOW TIME!

im a Jr Firefighter for the Westville Fire Dept. Of what I know that, since there is a explorer post 5 in the next town which is Woodbury Fire Dept, and what i know since i know some of them jr firefighters have it better b/c they are not alot to ride the truck intill 6 months in and they have to be on the 3rd truck out. With my dept Jrs arent suppose to be on first due but if there is limited crew one jr can get on
    Rob aka Squinty

The Fighting Seventy-Third

Westville Fire Department
    Gloucester County
    New Jersey

no your right, explorers dont do very much, im a cadet and we can do everything that but fight fire
    Jeff Gurski

Temporarily/No Longer Active EoneTiller's Avatar

ur rite jeff but we dont get fires so no worries. we cant like go into the burning building.

-garrett hitchcock

In my County this is how it works (all volunteer)...

Explorers - Sponsored by the B.S.A., not affiliated with any fire dept., not allowed to respond to fire calls (well not allowed to go as a firefighter), only does training exorcises, etc.

Juniors - Members of a fire dept. Only difference is that Juniors are 16-18 yrs old. They are allowed to respond with the fire dept. to calls and training (specifics up to the discretion of the particular dept.). In my Dept. the only thing we are not to do on a fire scene is enter a burning building...until it is called under control.
    Mike

kewrcoa i have to disagree, the bsa does allow explorers to go to calls, but the post/FD has to abide by child labor laws as well. if you cant ride to calls it is your dept's rule.

Thread Information