Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default The loss of a son

I am a lieutenant on a fire department in the northwest suburbs of Chicago. I recently lost my 18 year old son to cancer. I'm wondering if anyone else has lost a child and how they handled the grief and the job at the same time. Thanks for your time.

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

I can honestly only imagine what you must be going through - my prayers are out to you and your family.

Default At the scene with my son.

Yes, I lost my only son this February. He was almost 19 years old. He was in an MVA just a few miles from home- a seatbelted passenger- and died the next morning. No drugs/no ETOH- just a senseless 1 car accident. I had to take almost 3 weeks off. I work in the ER as well as volunteer as a medic. I responded to the scene that night... You get the picture. Anyway- for a while, everyone understood that there were days I couldn't come in- I needed time. Some days I had to leave. Almost like panic attacks. I have a very strong congregation to support my husband and me and daughters. We have hope knowing that he's asleep and Jesus promised a resurrection someday. That is what gets me through each day- hope- it's not like he's totally gone. But it's the 'someday' that's so hard. Trying to remember that things happen on God's timetable- not mine.

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Unhappy ltengine1

First, let me say how sorry I am for your loss.

Second...just remember that if you need someone to talk to or a shoulder to lean on....firefighters have a brotherhood second to none.

Rest assured....one or more of them can be there for you! Don't hesitate to reach out if you need to.
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

I am a firefighter emt in newcastle oklahoma fire dept. I lost my son @ 19 years old also a firefighter in a mva on his way to the station for duty. the support of other firefighters and family helped greatly I rely heavily on the memory of my son to help me sustain. if i can help please call me @ 405-485-9715 god bless you no one can know the pain unless they have gone through what we have

Thread Information