MembersZone Subscriber

Question Your opinion is ????

I am in the process of writing a paper for one of my college classes. We must compare two sdies of a point and then state where we stand on it. I am going to write mine on technology in the fire service, is it a good thing or not?
    I am looking for any written information on benefits or hinderences that technology has made to us as firefighters. I am looking for more modern technologies such as T.I.C.'s and lightweight SCBA's and "new and improved" turn out gear. Any info would be greatly appriciated and properly credited in my paper.
    IN MEMORY OF THE BOYS FROM STATION 14!!! God Speed!!

Leather forever!!!

ABC !!

If we fail to train, we train for failure.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry The Turnout Gear Part....

I will be happy to play the devil's advocate on the "new and improved" turnout gear. I don't like it one bit. With our old gear, you always had a bit of skin hanging out somewhere (like an earlobe) and when it got too hot, you knew it immediatly. with the more recent stuff, people can, and do, get in over their heads because they don't get the heat buildup until it's too late. That's my opinion, and I am not claiming anyone else to be in on it with me. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

dazed and confused

Default Re: The Turnout Gear Part....

Originally posted by hwoods
    a bit of skin hanging out somewhere
    I can't believe that in 2002 we still debate this.

Does the modern "protective cocoon" encourage some ff's to go beyond where they should? Perhaps. But it is not the fault of the gear. Why can't training, technology, and a command structure replace the need to get burns?

No matter what, there will always a risk for something unpredictable to occur, even if your earlobes are cool. I'd rather be as protected as possible when it does.

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

Default Re: Re: The Turnout Gear Part....

Originally posted by Resq14
    No matter what, there will always a risk for something unpredictable to occur, even if your earlobes are cool. I'd rather be as protected as possible when it does.
    At first I hated the gear. I had all kinds off excuses not to wear it. But on one winter day I was caught in a flashover in a high rise. All I received were first degree burns under my gear.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

I think the gear is one place where technology hasn't caught up yet. In the old days (about 15 years ago for many departments) we had 3/4 boots and no hood. Then NFPA told us what we should be wearing. We became fully encapsulated and heat stress injuries became more prevalent. Slowly the gear has gotten better and isn't as hot, but it is still way hotter then 3/4 boots.
    Their is no doubt that everything being equal a FF in full gear will survive a flashover better then one in a long coat. Yet everything isn't equal. The long coat may make you too uncomfortable to get in that situation.

The same thing is happening with airpacks. NFPA now wants all of these bells and whistles and some companies like MSA don't have all of the last standards bugs worked out. Like their integrated PASS, jsut ask Chicago, or me for that matter our department has had/s its share of problems with the MSA MMR.

Technology is a double edged sword. we just shouldn't forget the basics while using the new stuff.

Thread Information