Default How did you get started in Firefighting?

Just wondering how everyone got into this business? I've gotten to a few FD's lately and picked up some applications. Some have said that I need to get into an EMT-B class first, and some said they will hire me, but I have to sign up for class within a year. I'm kind of curious as to how the rest of you went about it.

Thats a pretty good question ratchet,and most the civilians normally ask me that when we're doing public fire safety days in schools and questions like it. My answer to is, that when my older sister started dating ryan wells my brother in-law now, like 3 yrs ago, he always telling me to go and start volunteering at NPFD but i didnt think would be anything worth while, but then 1 1/2 yrs ago i thought i might as try it since he was being so persuasive about it. So i went through the classes and towards the end of it, i finally figured out that this firefighting thing is the greatest thing that could ever happen to me. So now, im getting close to being a career FF at anchorage fire dept. which is like a alaskan version of FDNY but a little smaller. And like i tell every one in the public, firefighting is one of the greatest and most rewarding jobs that aaverage person can ever have, all it really takes to become a good firefighter is dedication, bravery, willingness to help any and everybody when they truly need you and a heroic spirit. I hope i answered most of your question, if not, plz ask more.
    -FFbrundage
    "put the wet stuff on the red stuff"

Forum Member

First off, I'm a third generation firefighter.
    When I was very very young not even half a block away from my house a young boy (younger then I was at the time) was hit by a vehicle while he was crossing the road on his bike. The mother of the child came running up to our door in hysterics, of course. All of this was taking place years before the City started any sort of EMS response and the ambulance was responding from 10 miles away. I remember watching out the front window, my father do CPR on this child for what seemed an eternity. Months later I was playing in a park and a boy was being pulled in a wagon by a lady. He was being pulled because he had both legs in a cast that went up to his waist. Turns out this was the boy hit on his bicycle.
    I also remember when I was young (I remember the date, January 12, 1987) going with my father (Who was working as an assistant chief for the County then) to a small rural community west of where we live. He took me out of school to go with him. While he was dropping something off, there was a fire alarm. The fire was not even a block away from where we were. I remember seeing the huge colum of black smoke and going to the fire. I remember sitting in front of the house, in the truck, with the window down waiting for the fire department to show up. (My father was on crutches and brace after having knee surgery two or three weeks prior). He was trying to help with what he could. I remember the screams and the horror of a mother and son dying in that house.
    I never want to hear that again and be helpless. I want to keep people from dying and suffering such an agonizing death.
    That is why I am here, now as a 3rd generation volunteer firefighter and a 2nd generation career firefighter.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

I had a friend in high school who was an Explorer. He would tell stories about calls he went on and it interested me so I decided to check it out and I was hooked right away. I went to EMT school after high school, then the fire academy and then paramedic school. I started volunteering with my local vol dept and then got hired with my present FD. I'm still just as hooked as when I was an Explorer.

Thanks for the replys!

When I was in high school, I remember seeing the flashing blue lights in the windshields of the local firefighters cars on the way to calls, and thinking how interesting their job must be. I've been interested for a long time, and I'm really not sure what took me so long to try to get into it.

I'm going to turn in my application tomorrow. I'm applying at the Rural paid-on-call department on the outskirts of my town. I figure this will get me in the door, allow me to start the whole training process, and give me some hands on experience while I'm still working as a mechanic. Hopefully, all will go well. This is something I'm really looking forward to doing.

Default Why I became A firefighter

I became a firefighter because it was always a childhood dream. Ever since I was a child I always wanted to be a firefighter, but my mother told me I wouldnt because of my cerebral palsy. So I kind of put it on the back burner. Through the years, Id always admired my brothers one on my dads side and on my moms side of the family, I was the only child from my mom and dad. Those two brothers Phillip (from my dads side) was a vollie fireman used to take me to his fire station alot and let me wear his pager. My other brother Jimmy used to take me to use firehouse (on my moms side, he's a vollie as well), I always looked up to Jimmy as an inspiration. I wanted to be like him, I wanted to be a firefighter. I remember always beging my mom take me to the fire station as a kid to talk to the firemen and look and sit in the trucks. Hell, I remember drawing the dept a picture and doing a honorary thing for them for fire prevention week. Well onward, my mother passed away in march of 98....A year or so later I was on the summer school bus, I was struggling with life, trying to deal with life without my mother and trying to be my own parent (emtionaly and morally). Then a friend on the summer school bus suggested a idea, join the fire department, Im like I cant be a firefighter at 16!!!, you have to be 18 by state law and plus Im too weak. She's like soo. So I kind of put it in my mind and stuck it there, well that fall, I made friends with a junior fireman whos now a senior firefighter as well as me. AT that time he told me how the dept operated, I told him what I wanted to contribue to the dept. So he picked me up for the open house to meet the chief and get the application. This was the most exciting thing I've ever done. So I filled out the application over a week period, turned it in. Waited a few months, fearing the worst that Id be rejected. I got a phone call one night to come down to the station, the chief picked me up and gave me a ride (he had to help me into his monster chevy)anyway, they asked me why I wanted to be a firefighter, I told them, Its always been an interest of mine, Ive always wanted to do it, I want to make a difference in peoples lifes and in this world we live in, I want to be make things better, I want to help my brothers battle and conqure the daily emergencies we face. I know I am limited in my ability, I know that I am unable to go interior and attack, or do exterior attack, but I am more than willing to do EVERYTHING and ANYTHING to be a part of the TEAM. Thats how much love and passion I have for being a firefighter. Its a part of me, its who I am. I started it, now I cant stop and I WILL NOT STOP IT. IM A FIREFIGHTER FOR LIFE.
    Jeremy Miller
    Truxton Fire Dept

I've Always wanted to be a Firefighter for as long as I can remember. I live in a small town, and our Fire Dept is a Volunteer Dept. Back in 96 I became a Police Officer and I got to know the guys at our Fire Dept really good. The only problem I ran into was that if you worked for the Town you couldn't be on the Towns Fire Dept. Well times change and so do some Chiefs and the rules were changed. This year of 2002 I got to join Our Fire Dept. And I'm enjoying every bit of it Although my primary Job is Law Enforcement I still make every call that I can when I'm not working. Ratchet good Luck in your decision and I hope the best for you.

Sr. Information Officer

Default Re: Why I became A firefighter

Originally posted by TruxtonFD
    Its a part of me, its who I am. I started it, now I cant stop and I WILL NOT STOP IT. IM A FIREFIGHTER FOR LIFE.
    Hey guys....Jeremy's got that fire burnin' inside. Know what I mean?

Wish everyone had that desire...and that heart...and that yearning.

You da man Jeremy...hang in there brother!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Default preach it brotha

I agree with you NJFFA16, jeremy does have the almighty burning that true fire fighters have. I got that same evact burning feeling when i first started and still do, i it will be in me until i cant do it any more. Its kinda like being in love with a women that you really love, but, its something that you absolutely love doing, because thats the reason why we significant ppl were created to help others. Good choice of words jeremy.
    "put the wet stuff on the red stuff"

Thread Information