Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Water Supply Capability

Just to get you thinking and engaged in a healthy discussion Ö

How many fire fighters know the capability of their water supply system? What do you base this on? Do you know what your hydrants will supply? Do you know how much water you can deliver with your supply line configuration?

What about rural water supply systems? Do you know how much you can shuttle with tankers/tenders and for how long?

Do you know how much water every structure in your jurisdiction requires to suppress a fire?

Do you know how to evaluate a water supply system? Do you know how to determine the needed fire flow of a given structure?

Do you know if you have the resources necessary to do the job? If you donít know Ö why not?
    How much water do you have?

MembersZone Subscriber

We do.

Rural? You bet - that's everything. We have over 50 draft points strategically located throughout our district, with the capacity of each engineered taking into account a foot and a half of ice and 50 year drought information.

We know the GPM requirement and length of every lay to every commercial property in town. Every residential property is or will shortly be within 3500 feet of a water source. With a few improvements we will meet the required fire flow of every building.

Resources? Everything we don't have now will be purchased shortly. Every truck will carry enough big hose to make any lay, eliminating the need for specialized apparatus.

Each rig will have a GPS unit and a laptop inside with preplans for every commercial property and a map of the district with every structure and water source identified on it, giving us the length of every possible lay in town.

When ISO comes to town and gives us our next rating we will tie for the second best rural grade in the nation.

Pretty simple stuff.

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Add this to the mix. Our local water company added three hydrants (a 5% increase) to the water lines this summer. We went out last week, and found that they had neglected to turn them on!! The local guy said "he had been busy". Once again, we need to check everything - twice!!

I guess we're better than most.

Fully hydranted area along the Delaware river with an adaquate water system. Our map books show the hydrants in color form (red, yellow and green). Our town Chief has held the position for about twenty
    years (+ -) and has excellent knowledge of the town water supply. My station Chief works for the water company at the treatment plant and I (Deputy Chief) work for another local water authority. So we understand the system well.

For several years I have taught both inhouse, and for local FD's a class on municipal water systems in general and their local system in particular. This includes hand outs, slides, videos and water map reviews, to name a few.

I feel that our most important resource is water. If know the capabilities and limitations of you systems you are already ahead of the game.

MembersZone Subscriber

Must agree with ac52 it helps to know were the good hydrants are.

HFDCLanger, you guys really seem to have your act together. Have you been in contact with the ISO? Weíre found them to be very helpful and accommodating. Best consulting service around Ö and theyíre free!
    How much water do you have?

MembersZone Subscriber

We have a pretty good water system here, and we have just finished flow testing all our hydrants in the city. Now we are in the process of color coding according to GPM flow, Red,Orange, and Green. Don't have everything preplanned yet but we are working on it.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Waterboy:

Yes, we've been in contact with ISO. They've been very helpful in telling us we need one more engine company than we really do, sending us batch reports with 15% of the commercial properties in town, telling us they can't answer the questions we ask, etc, etc.

I guess they like you guys a lot better down in NJ.

fyrgrunt:

Color coding is a great thing. Just make sure you are doing it to ISO/AWWA standards for full hydrant credit.

uuuuummmm...... hmmmmmmm ..........hy-dra-nt....?

I think I seen a picture of one of those in my IFSTA Vol. 4..... let me guess.... a little red metal thing that stands up out of the ground... you can hook up a hose or something and it "supplies" the water....

Sounds like a great idea.

For us, our water supply is our onboard water, the 3300 gallons our tender brings, and whatever we can scavange from where ever we can scavange it from... We have a good number of reliable water spots, large ponds and lakes, some water towers in the area, etc. It is a hard life to live, but you really learn how to utilize your water effectively.
    "No one ever called the Fire Department for doing something smart..."

Thread Information