Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default no longer a firefighter:(

Brothers,
    My worst nightmare has come to pass. My doctor has forced me to stop responding to calls. Due to my health condition. Before this I wasnt allowed off the rig anyways because of my medical situation. I had to sit and monitor the radio in the truck. It started when my chief wanted me in one place and that way they knew I wasnt putting myself in danger, also they had someone keeping track of the radio, of responding apparatus. Over the months my pain has progressed agressivly, I have now been placed on a very strong narcotic pain medication for severe chronic pain. So in light of that my doctor said no responding to calls. Now I know what you guys are thinking, what are you doing in the fire dept with you're health condition. Its called love and dedication to the job, I love being a firefighter. Ive always wanted to do it. Everytime the pager went off, Id go out the door, and for that time period of the call I wouldnt feel the pain or think of it. Because Id be focused on helping someone else who is in need. I dont want to leave it, its a part of me now, its who I am. I am also moving to the city seat of my county, they have a duty company fire dept and also a volunteer company. I dont know if I should sign up or if I should just let it go, because if I sign up, there wont be anything I can do as a firefighter, and my doctor has prohibited me from responding to calls. I dont know guys.

What should I do. I could use you're help brothers.

Jer
    Last edited by TruxtonFD; 10-30-2002 at 09:11 AM.
    Jeremy Miller
    Truxton Fire Dept

What you might want to try is going to the new town and applying to the volunteer company -- explain your medical situation to the chief and the membership committee and see what they say....There is always a job for everyone. -- I hope you make out OK
    Stratford Fire Company # 1
    New Jersey State Firemen's Convention Champions - 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000

Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

Unhappy

Don't give up hope!

I know it won't be the same as firefighting, but what RES13CUE says is true, there are other jobs you can do and still stay in the Fire Service. I don't know what the requirements are for any of these jobs, not being in the Fire Service myself, or even if there are such opportunities in your area, but what about Fire Marshall, Fire Investigator, Fire Department Photographer, Fire Prevention, 911 Dispatcher? Are any of those options for you?

Good Luck!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Once a brother, always a brother. Sorry to hear it man...
    These are my opinions, not those of my career department, my volunteer company, or my affiliates. And by the way, I'm not a Junior.

Buy me a drink, sing me a song, take me as I come 'cause I can't stay long.

Johnny Greene: 2/3/45-5/2/04
    Forever in our hearts

MembersZone Subscriber ChiefReason's Avatar

Default You're not alone!

Truxton:
    There have been others in these threads who had to pull back from the physically demanding parts of the job. So you are not alone.
    Unfortunately, you have the doctor's written order that bars you from actively participating in the physical functions of the job. Any fire department will be hard pressed to go against your doctor's orders, so the next logical step is to see if there is a department that may look into other roles that you could perform in their department, not violate your doctor's orders and allow you to stay in something that you love and at the same time, not expose the department to liabilities that they cannot afford.
    As others have stated, look into dispatching, administrative positions or other less strenuous duties to perform. Don't ask a department to make exceptions; ask them to make accommodations!
    You'll find something and it will be productive.
    If nothing else, you can do what I did; become a trustee.
    Stay safe, man.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

Keep your head up brother !!!!!. I admire your courage, and I know it is a bitter pill to swallow. You have already gone way beyond what could be thought possible, so keep your head up!!! Try again to find a position that you could fill without responding, God willing your situation may change.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Jeremy,

My heart truly aches for you. I can only imagine what it must be like for you to be forced out of a role that you love so much. Just try and remember that responding to calls is only a fraction of the total job we all do. There are several other duties that you can do and all are equally important to our day to day mission.

I'm sure that with your heart & determination that you will be able to find a niche for yourself in any department and that department will be glad to have you.

My best wishes to you in whatever you decide to do.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Unhappy What do you say..........

I really don't know what I can add, as Chief Reason has said it better than I could. Like you, I want it to go on forever, but that won't happen to any of us, me included. At 61 I am looking (hopefully) at a couple of more years as chief of the department,running well over a hundred calls a month and loving every minute of it. Reality is, as I (we) get older, or as a medical condition does not ease, we find ourselves at a turning point in our lives, and a question. Do we pack it up and go, or try our hand at a different segment of the great business of Fire and Rescue?? I'm with Chief R. on that one, I'll find something to do that keeps me in the department, but out of harm's way. All of us (even me) need to come home after the call, or whatever the job is, because no matter how much we love what we do, there's a family at home who needs us as well. Do what you can, even if it's covering the phone at the station when everybodys out, keep your hand and heart in it, but stay safe above all. Best Wishes.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Who knows, this could be your opportunity to do something great that you never would have managed while actually fighting fire. Explore your opportunities.

And for God's sake don't tell anybody you have Oxycontin. It's the drug of choice around here, and if word gets out somebody has some, it's likely they'll be burglarized.

Good luck.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.Ē
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Sr. Information Officer NJFFSA16's Avatar

Thumbs up

No matter what your future may bring....you'll always be a brother! Nothing can take that away Jeremy. Don't give up...follow your heart!

I HAVE NO AMBITION IN THIS WORLD BUT ONE, AND THAT IS TO BE A FIREMAN. THE POSITION MAY, IN THE EYES OF SOME, APPEAR TO BE A LOWLY ONE; BUT THOSE WHO KNOW THE WORK WHICH A FIREMAN HAS TO DO BELIEVE HIS IS A NOBEL CALLING.
    OUR PROUDEST MOMENT IS TO SAVE... LIVES.
    UNDER THE IMPULSE OF SUCH THOUGHTS THE NOBILITY OF THE OCCUPATION THRILLS US AND STIMULATES US TO DEEDS OF DARING, EVEN OF SUPREME SACRIFICE.

-Edward F. Crocker
    Chief of Department
    FDNY
    1899-1911
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Default Thanks brothers

My brothers,
    I cant tell you how much you're replys mean to me. I truly appreciate it. The quote from the late Edward F. Crocker couldnt be more true, and I agree with it and it describes me. There simply is no other job or career I would want to do other than being a firefighter, its being able to help make a difference in peoples lifes, a possitive difference thats why I cant let it go. Nothing else will bring me the joy and satasfaction that serving my community and being a firefighter did. Hell I may have only been a gophor or a truck sitter but I loved every minute of it, to be a part of the best job in the world. Im not going to give it up, the day I do is the day I no longer exsist on this earth.
    I truly believe that what makes a great firefighter, is not pshyical agility or how many calls you respond to. Its whats in you're heart, if you love it and are dedicated to it then, I think thats what makes for a great firefighter. You can have all the pshyical strength in the world, but that wont be any good if you dont love the job and dont strive to greath lengths to pure you're heart into helping you're community. Thats something I did, even thought I was low ended on the agility, I always showed up and poured my heart into everything I did.

Again thank you brothers for the help and encouragement. Im kind of interested in FDNY, if there is anyway here who is an FDNY firefighter I would like to get in touch with you, I have a few questions.

Thanks,
    Brother Miller
    Last edited by TruxtonFD; 10-30-2002 at 08:44 AM.
    Jeremy Miller
    Truxton Fire Dept

Hey bro,

If someone mentioned it already and I missed it, okay, I'm an idiot....if not, then how about the Emergency Services Board, or District Board, or Trustees, or equivalent. You can continue to make an impact in that capacity.

Peace
    Oklahoma Bound!

Truxton,

I understand what you're going through because I've been in that situation under different circumstances. I resigned as a volunteer from my combination department in January 2002 after almost four years of service, due to a changing "political" (I know, NEVER in a fire department) situation that put the crews and citizens in danger. While I don't regret leaving, I still miss it. My heart will always be with the fire service where I got my start. It was the fire service that introduced me to paramedicine where I am now and am quite happy. It was ingrained in me and fully believe in the philosophy once a brother, always a brother.
    ***The opinions and beliefs expressed above are mine and mine alone based on my education, training, and personal experiences. In no way do they reflect those of my employer(s), their affiliates, or any professional organizations that I belong to.***

TruxtonFD - I feel your pain, I am in the exact same position you are in. Been there for almost 10 years now. After being operational for 15 years it was hard to have give it up. It is still hard to be standing in the station when the bells ring and I have to stand there and watch as the apparatus pulls out the door without me on it. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anyone.

But what I lost being operational, although not as glamorous and exciting I gained by staying and getting into the administrative side of the organization. When I was operational I was one of those who never gave too much thought about the administrative side of the fire department. All I knew was if I needed anything, I would go to the guy in the office and tell him what I needed, and depending on what it was in a couple day's I'd have it. When I came to the station I had all of the comforts of home while I was there. I never gave too much thought as to how all of this happened. All I knew was that it was there and if I needed it someone would get it for me.

There are many administrative duties and functions that need to be done. There are a lot of operational people pulling double duty by performing the administrative functions because there is no one else to do them. They would love to have someone volunteer to do these duties to free them up to concentrate on their operational responsibilities.

So donít think there is nothing you can do to contribute because you can't ride the fire truck anymore.

Peace and stay safe!
    "When I was a child I spoke as a child, understood as a child, thought as a child, but when I became a man I put away childish things."

Thread Information