Daytona Beach News Journal

Storage shed explodes but no one injured
Staff report

DELAND -- An explosion and fire destroyed a storage shed and shook a neighborhood Saturday morning on South High Street near West Hubbard Avenue, a city fire official said.

Marvin Reed, a neighbor who lives on Hubbard, a half mile from the scene of the fire, said he heard a "boom" and saw police cars rushing to the area.

"I was washing my car, and I thought someone had been shot," Reed said.

A caller to 911 reported a structure fire, and firefighters in three units responding to the fire at 9:18 a.m. found a utility shed fully engulfed in flames, said DeLand Fire Department Lt. Mark Harper.

The shed contained lawn equipment, an air compressor and two propane tanks. Although the shed exploded, no one was injured, Harper said.

The owner of the shed, Cecilia Gregory, told investigators she had between $4,000 and $5,000 worth of equipment in the shed, the Fire Department spokesman said.

The fire marshal has ruled the fire suspicious and is investigating, Harper said.