Thread: safety harness

Default safety harness

Hi, I'm looking for a source to purchase rescue/safety harness's, like I have seen FDNY Truck Co members wearing, They are part of their bunker pants. I spoke with a ff from southbridge,ma who was suppose to send me the address in yonkers of where he got them, but he never sent it. Does anyone else know where I might find them ?Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

http://gemtor.com/

Here is a start, check out Fire and Rescue under Products

Forum Member

Vote #2 for the Gemtor harness. It is made for the fire service, and Morning Pride even makes gear w/ special flaps to accomodate this harness. Easy to don, easy to use ... none better for everyday use in the fire service.

Stay Safe
    Last edited by PAVolunteer; 03-01-2003 at 09:46 AM.

Thanks guys,thats what I needed someone to point me in the right direction. The gemtor 541 looks to fit the bill. Have a good night

Default Harness

A few of us guys at my station bought them and love them.The only thing is,you better get beltloops sewn on your turnout pants,because it is a little difficult to put it on when the straps are tight.We put 3 loops on the back,3 loops in the front and 1 loop on each inside leg.When we made are loops we used an old pair of turnout pants and put velco on them.Then you have to listen to the lip from the older guys,"you don't need all of that,we didn't".

LEATHER FOREVER
    FTM-PTB-EGH-KTF-RFB

MembersZone Subscriber

I purchased mine from:

VNZ Rescue Services
    PO Box 11304
    Waterbury, CT 06703-1304
    860-945-3532
    VNZRescue@aol.com

Steve Veneziano (the owner) is a Waterbury FF assigned to Rescue 9.

Forum Member

I have worn one for about 2 years and like it a lot. But, like most equipment thereís good and bad.

Good:
    We mostly use the harness for safety when on ladders (weíre a ladder company), instead of using a leg lock we just clip on with the harness (not that we have to lock in very often but when itís necessary it sure is nice to use the belt instead of my leg). Also, we have a 6ft tether that we use to attach ourselves to the aerial ladder before we climb off onto a roof . The tether is to stay on if we are working close to the edge but may come off if we are going to move up (or further in, we have a lot of industrial flat roof) and are sure the roof is safe (of course).

Kind of bad:
    I went to the state fire school and did some self rescue training. We practiced bailing out of windows with the rope around and under our arms and with the rope through the harness D ring. For sure the bailout with the harness was easier on the body (very smooth) but it was also very slow. If conditions in the room are going to hell itís a lot faster to put the rope under your arms and bail. Sure is nice having the options though.

Bad:
    You will find that the belt will get hung up on stuff, its happened twice to me. One time the D ring caught a ladder rung during a head first bail out (during training). Another time the loop around my right leg got caught when I was doing a primary search during a fire (the real thing this time). Neither incident was serious and I was able to free myself but it is an unpleasant surprise. Keep the leg loops snug and the D ring under your coat.

MembersZone Subscriber

Forum Member

I'll recommend AllHandsFire also. We got ours through him and he is a friend of mine.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

I use the Morning Pride rescue harness that integrated into my bunkers. I also have the matching coat that has 50ft of rope in the 'tails' for a complete self rescue system. I like the MP system more than most because the harness rides between the shell and the thermal layer. Its protected and out of the way.
    What ever system you buy be sure to inspect it often, harnesses (and the rope) aren't made for exposure to the high levels of heat that they sometimes get. And if you are going to use it for anything other than a ladder belt then by all means, train with it for a little bit first.

Scott

Thread Information