Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience

View Poll Results: Should fire fighters wear seat belts in large fire trucks( over 18,000 lbs.)

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

42 91.30%
  • no

1 2.17%
  • only during training not to calls

3 6.52%
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: seat belts

Thumbs down seat belts

I belong to a vol. dept and our cheif has made it manditory to wear seat belts while driveing our large ( over 18,000.00) trucks. I dont believe in wearing seat belts even in my pov. i have been a fire fighter for over 20 years and have been to to many accidents but i have seen more people killed wearing thier seat belts than not. think the seat belt law is for insurance co to just pay the death benefit than the cost of hospital which is usually 2 or 3 times what the death befit would be.
    i would say out of the last 5 years the 1000 accidents i went to 120 were severe and every death that we had the victum was wearing a seat belt. we have had 2 accidents where a person wearing a seat belt has died and the person right next to them not wearing a seat belt lived with no major injuries. both where head on accident s and impact was equal to all victums. air bags where not present in either case and one survivor was a driver and the other (in different accident) was front seat passanger. what do you think about seat belts. I do believe kids should wear seat belts and be in the back seat but that is more for driver distraction than safty. infants do need to be in chid seat i agrre with that.
    Please give your opinion on seat belt in fire trucks over 18,000 lbs
    find them hot leave them wet

MembersZone Subscriber

Seat belts save lives. That isn't just a public ed campaign it is fact.

Last year a Chicago truck officer was killed when their rig was hit. The officer wasn't wearing his seatbelt and he was thrown from the rig.

Every year thousands of people are saved by seatbelts. Don't be a fool, if not for yourself but for your family wear your seatbelt. Also make sure that any children under your care are in an age appropriate childseat.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/

If you honestly believe that, fine. But don't spread that around here because someone might actually believe it and get killed.

I used to never put it on in the truck either. "Oh, this is a Fire Truck, who needs a seatbelt." Until one day, I almost fell out of it. I was able to grab a handle in the cab which kept me from ending up on the road. Now, you sit there and tell me that seatbelts are an insurance scam.

Seatbelts work. We're required to wear them in all department vehicles. I find it extremely hard to believe that in your experience more people die while wearing seat belts than those who are not. Nationally this is not the case. In many fatal accidents, seat belts are worn - but given enough speed, no amount of safety devices will save your life. Nascar and Indy racers reach speeds in excess of 200 mph, and often survive crashes. But even with some of the best restraining devices ever produced, fatalities still occur. A more telling statistic from your corner of the world might be how many people walked away from those 1000 accidents with either no injuries or minor injuries because they were wearing their belts? As for the 2 cases you mention where the non-belted occupant survived and the belted one did not, there is one sure answer as to why. It just wasn't their time to go. Don't try to figure out the physics - sometimes things just happen.

Wear your seatbelt - so you'll be around to post your thoughts tomorrow.
    R.A. Ricciuti
    Mt. Lebanon Fire Department

Our city policy says that seat belts must be worn in all city vehicles -- including fire apparatus. When I'm filling an engineer's position, I always buckle up. I will admit, however, that if I'm riding out as a firefighter... I'm not as good about buckling up because I'm too busy getting dressed.

I will say that if your chief orders you to wear your seatbelt and you refuse... It could cost you some benefits if you are injured (or worse) and not wearing it.

should it be done? yes.

Do I do it? no. Do I know I'm stupid for not doing it? yes. Will I start doing it? hopefully some day.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Forum Member

Seat belts don't just save lives in accidents, but they can help prevent accidents in the first place. In FAO classes, we would have the new operators drive through an obstacle course while wearing a seat belt and again without wearing the seatbelt (closed course). It really makes a believer out of the trainees.

As for MVA's, I can't see how any emergency responder could fail to see the value in wearing seatbelts. We knew if the driver and passengers were not wearing seatbelts as we pulled up to the scene. You could see the hole or indentation where their head/face hit the windshield.

I'm amazed that seatbelts are still an option! Of course they work...

I guess the same goes for helmets on motorbikes- how can that still be an option in some parts of your country?
    Luke

Forum Member

Kind of a no brainer here

Forum Member

I agree- a no brainer.

How could you NOT wear a belt.

As for seeing more people killed with them on, than not. Look at the big picture. Just think what they would have looked like if they didn't wear a belt. That is if you could actually find them or recognize them.

And what difference does the size of vehicle make? When the vehicle comes to a sudden stop, be it 2000 Lbs or 20,000 lbs your body mass still travels at the same speed.

That is until it strikes something, the dash, the windshield or my favourite of unrestrained people, the road. Then I guess it does matter how large the vehicle is as the rolls over you.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default YES!!!

No matter the size of the vehicle, all personnel will utilize seatbelts. PERIOD. First because it's the Law in Canada, but second because it is a piece of safety equipment, and safety gear doesn't work if it isn't used.

BCfiremedic has the right of it:
    When the vehicle comes to a sudden stop, be it 2000 Lbs or 20,000 lbs your body mass still travels at the same speed.
    and

Then I guess it does matter how large the vehicle is as the rolls over you.
    In this last bit, I would have to say (deep sigh) that size does matter. The larger the vehicle is when it rolls over you, the squishier you will be afterwards. That's not a very pretty thought.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Thanks Malahattwo7

Not like that's ever been seen between split rock and the PetroCan eh?

See you at the summit, we will both be buckled up.

MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

*Thumbs tucked into shoulder harness, hay strand in corner of mouth* "Yep, see ya there."

So BCfiremedic, I take it that you are from the "north"? OH and which summit are you referring to? According to Dispatch we can have any number up to 4 different "summits", that range from the top of Goldstream Park (at Tunnel Hill) to the lookout at Split Rock... makes for an interesting day when 4 trucks can manage to go in four different directions, and there are only 3 roads to take, and one of them is a north/south run.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

I can't believe someone on this board would dispute the effectiveness of seat belts.

i have been a fire fighter for over 20 years
    So I guess you don't have any use for those new fangled scba's or thermal cameras.

Originally posted by quint1driver
    I can't believe someone on this board would dispute the effectiveness of seat belts.

Then again, he is from Upstate NY. As we've seen, not much common sense and intelligence up there. *cough*Lairdsville*cough*
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

MembersZone Subscriber

Duh!!! It's the law here in FL, and for the dept. I'm in.
    "Bravery is the capacity to perform properly even when scared half to death."

Gen. Omar Bradley

Thumbs up

I will admit that while in a position of trying to get dressed enroute is difficult to keep yourself belted in. But I always, always do when rerurning from an incident and whenever we are in the rig in general.I also was not a big fan of seatbelts........but I can tell you what changed my mind about them .......... one word......KIDS ! I f they have to restrianed why shouldnt we ? wouldnt that be a horrible irony , if I were in accident ? Plus even if they are not with me I might wanna be a dad a litte longer .......so buckle up !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information