Default Is anyone going to hire me?

Hey guys I am going to be finishing up EMT-B pretty soon. I am only 20 so i can not be on a full time department. So i am looking into get hired by a partime department (don't want to work for a private ambulance company). I live in the chicagoland area and I am wondering if since i am not a paramedic, trained fire fighter or 21 years old is anyone going to hire me? Also is there a listing online or somewhere else that states when departments are testing?

thanks
    Tom

Forum Member

You have several POC departments right near you. It is a great way to get your Firefighter II and EXPERIENCE. You can start taking tests for career departments although some may require an EMT-P license.

What departments around me are payed on call? I know crestwood is, but i still have to talk to them? Also how do i find out about tests? are they word of mouth or is there a list of departments that are testing?

thanks
    Tom

Forum Member

Crestwood, Posen, Dixmoor, Merrionette Park, Garden Homes are all located within striking distance of Alsip. Just go there and ask for an application....Tests are advertised, word of mouthed and on the web....

thanks for the help. I actually live in garden homes. the reason that i am not on with them is that there work nights start before i get off of work. Also they are volunteer no POC. I don't really want to get on Merrionette because they do not get many calls. I Will try crestwood, dixmoor and posen. If those don't work i will get on garden homes if i can work something out with my hours at work. Hopefully the POC departments take people that are not medics or FFII.

thanks
    Tom

Permanently Removed

Default GET REAL!

When I say "get real", I mean in terms of you need to get
    your game plan together. Dont spend your time chasing COLD
    email or bulletin board leads. Get up to the date info. daily.
    I did this and it was the key to getting hired. Spend time
    interviewing, not looking for openings. Two Firefighter
    job services are cutting edge-

www.firecareers.com and
    www.firerecruit.com

Now you got the interview day? Ready? What is your game
    plan? Gonna say "I am a team player"? I hope not, its been
    used and dead. Ever been interviewed before?
    Written test? Agility? Chief's Oral? Background? Time to
    get it together and find out what YOUR golden nuggets are.
    Trust me, go to this site and click on the "101 secrets to
    getting the badge." You will be happy you did!

www.eatstress.com

Zio- What gives?

Around here (west coast) you just can't go shopping for a department you want to work for. "Not enough calls" is not a good reason to skip over a department. If you want to get hired, you'll go for any and every department in your area and beyond and be ready to make sacrafices for the job. Just becase a department does
    not get many calls
    doesn't mean they're not a progressive, well trained and ready-for-anything department. There's something to be learned everywhere you go!

At this point in your career you should be happy to get any fire job, learn everything you possibly can about firefighting while you're there and persue the departments you really wan't to work after you get hired anywhere. Fire jobs are typically not easy to come by, so take the one you can get, then get the one you want.

As for not wanting to work for an ambulance? What a great place to get experience working with patients and sick and ill people-- since this is the bulk of fire jobs these days... Also, having done so will look good on your resume, and may put you in a more favorable light with whatever deparment your trying to get hired by (you do need every edge over the next guy you can possibly get). If you just got your EMT so that you could run into burning buildings, you still have a whole lot to learn.

Forum Member

Default Are you Ready?

Many departments will let you test at age 20 and hired at age 21. In order to be considered.

Take this simple test to check how you're doing getting a badge. Are you ready for the first step?

1. Are you subscribed to a service that notifies you when a department is testing?
    2. Are you taking every test you can get to?
    3. Are you passing the written?
    4. Are you passing the physical ability?
    5. Are you preparing for your oral interviews (100% of the score)?
    6. Are you passing the oral?
    7. Are you getting conditional job offers?
    8. Are you passing the psychological interview?
    9. Are you passing the medical?
    10. Are you passing the background?

If you can't answer yes to all these questions, you will never see a badge! Wherever you answer no, you cannot go onto the next step to gain a badge. Where are you stuck?
    In order to find out where tests are being given in your area check out the Members Zone Section of this web site http://cms.firehouse.com/launch firehouse.com and these web sites.

http://www.ifpra.com

http://www.psrjobs.com

Nothing counts ‘til you have the badge . . . Nothing!

How would you like to get ahead of the curve with the cutting edge interview skills to get that badge? Then sign up to receive Fire "Captain Bob's" exclusive information rich FREE e-mail FireZine! Click here for more:

http://www.eatstress.com/firezine_signup.htm

Fire Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

888-238-3959
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Zio,

Just a little background on myself. I tested in 9 states, took 30+ test that span 4 years. I didn't get my badge until I was 26. I'm now 31 and the wait was well worth it. You have chosen one of the most difficult professions to succed in just getting the job. Within 8 months of getting hired by my first department I had offers from three departments. I'm currently at my second carrier department.

Now on to you. Many guys testing out there over look the most improtant part of the testing procedure. It's not the written, the physical agility, it's the oral board. This is when you have the opportunity to deliver the golden nuggets and set yourself apart from all the other clone answers. I used the site that CaptBob lists, eatstress. Check it out. If you follow what is tought it will be only a matter of time before you get your badge.

In closing, don't be in a rush. Test as often as you can. Finally, continue and go get your Paramedic cert.

Check out the following:

Written test: Try the Firefighters Book Store
    When and where test will be held: Carriers in the Fire Service
    Oral Board: www.eatstress.com

Thread Information