Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Quick dump valves

My department is currently specing out a new truck. We currently have two pumpers with dump valves on them and one with out. In my twenty years on the department I have seen little use of these and think they only tie up valuable space for other eqipment. Their has been some very heated debates at our meetings and I was looking for some extra input. We also have a tanker . Any input would be great

JFRD04

MembersZone Subscriber

I guess it all comes down to one question. Do you ever plan on having to dump that rig like a tanker? I know in our department we have (2) pumper-tankers w/ Newton quik-dumps on them. These being the second and third due respectively. However, on our first out truck this is not the case.

MembersZone Subscriber

This truck would mainly run in the hydrant district, our other station has limited hydrant coverage. I see its main use as a first in or a water supply truck, pumping hydrants or drafting. In my years on the department we just have not had a need for it and with all the specialized rescue that we do these days I feel the compartment space would be a better option.

JFDR4

MembersZone Subscriber

If the vehicles primary use is an attack engine or a source pumper I wouldn't recomend the dump valve. If the primary use is a shuttle truck, go for it.

Several years ago we retro'd a pumper/tanker with a dump valve. While I was against it at first, I am now glad we did. Although the differance in time from pumping off the water and dumping it is about 45 seconds, that time makes a huge differance when using master stream operations. We now have a tanker being built with three dumps (one on the rear, one on each side).

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks for the info guys, we have ended up specing the truck with out the dump valve and added a few other options that we feel will more suit the trucks and our needs. There was some question raised that for a truck to meet NFPA standards it needs to have a three way valve can anyone confirm this.

JFRD04

MembersZone Subscriber

Glad I could help.

Thread Information