Default Local 1619 President Removed by Bush

Here is a bit of interesting Material RIGHT off of the IAFF website.........

Oct. 30, 2002 – President George Bush has removed Prince George’s County, MD Local 1619 President Thomas McEachin from his Medal of Valor Commission, the group that decides which fire fighters and other public safety officers are recognized for actions above and beyond the call of duty.

“We are stunned and angered by this decision, and can only conclude that it is purely political,” said IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger. “Brother McEachin served the Commission just as he serves the people of Prince George’s County, with unbiased dedication, honor, and respect.”

Initially, when the Bush Administration was putting the commission together, they asked the IAFF to recommend a career fire fighter. The International recommended McEachin. But after the IAFF criticized the White House for it’s opposition to fire service issues, the Prince George’s County president was contacted by a Bush staffer who asked McEachin to resign because of his affiliation with the IAFF. The Bush Administration operative then insinuated tha they planned to replace McEachin with a volunteer fire fighter.

McEachin refused to buckle under pressure. In a letter to President Bush, he wrote, “As I understand my options, I may either submit a resignation or your attorneys will begin the process of having me removed from the Commission. With all due respect, I have no intention of resigning.”

At first, the White House replied with a form letter expressing thanks for his service, but avoiding any reference to his forced removal. “Thank you for your dedicated service and I wish you success in all of your future endeavors,” wrote Clay Johnson, a White House staff member, in what appeared to be a form letter.

Soon after McEachin received the letter, the head of the commission called and told him that he was indeed fired.

McEachin’s removal comes on the heels of the IAFF’s recent criticism of Bush decisions to veto additional money for the FIRE Act and funding to monitor the health risks of fire fighters exposed to the collapse of the twin towers as well as the president’s opposition to the SAFER Act, which will provide the funding for 75,000 additional fire fighters nationwide.

“This was a real eye opener for me,” says McEachin. “My removal smacks of retribution and pettiness on the part of the administration.”

HE HAS ALOT OF NERVE TALKING ABOUT RETRIBUTION AND PETTINESS!
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

While I think there should be both a career firefighter and a volly on the board, they should diversify the panel a little bit. 7 cops!!!!
    As far as initiatives, yes there should be more money for support of the fire service. I do not agree with the SAFER act because it will do what the COPS program did, give the pols 3 yrs. of free salary to replace a firefighter that has moved on. There has to be more done to ensure that EVERY fire service agency has the equipment to do the job paid and volunteer alike. A united front of all involved IAFF, NVFC, IAFC, and other organizations to put us in line with the cops as far as federal funding is concerned.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Forum Member

a day late and a dollar short

This is already in full debate at the above link. Of course it has veered some.

Dave

Thread Information