Forum Member

Default Firehouse or Firehall

Firehouse or Firehall, what is the difference? Does it matter?

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

I don't know anything about a Fire Hall except you crawl down it and put it out. But a Firehouse is a home. It is where I live with my BROTHERS.
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

MembersZone Subscriber

E40FDNYL35,
    Once again, your wit warms my heart! Very good analogy my good sir!

I have heard fire hall be used by some of my Northern counterparts but only sparingly. I dont know if there is a difference, other than when fire hall was used by my friends it was always with a volunteer establishment. I heard this term used when traveling in PA. Any of the brothers from PA help out on this?

Firehouse is the term I usually hear and the term that we use hear... as well as Fire Station.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Most likely the firehall term springs from the late 1800's when many stations were also the community meeting areas.These buildings were often the center of community life with the largest floor space available for functions. Hence the term "hall". Our original building (1887) had a wide open meeting "hall" upstairs and the apparatus was housed on the ground level. Today our station #1 houses the apparatus in the front with a large and frequently used community "hall" in the back. The village residents still refer to it as "the firehall".

MembersZone Subscriber

A firehall is a place where you can hold a dance in between alarms.

A fire station is a newer building that is clean, with a manicured lawn, furniture that matches and no bars on the windows.

A fire house is a place built somewhere around 1900, with rats as big as dogs, in the middle of the 'hood, with absolutely no repairs or renovations conducted since it was built unless it was done by the fire fighters who live there.

Originally posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    A firehall is a place where you can hold a dance in between alarms.

A fire station is a newer building that is clean, with a manicured lawn, furniture that matches and no bars on the windows.

A fire house is a place built somewhere around 1900, with rats as big as dogs, in the middle of the 'hood, with absolutely no repairs or renovations conducted since it was built unless it was done by the fire fighters who live there.
    I'm with George on this one...I couldn't have descibed it better. But if you think George's are good {And they are] what about the mess I currently hang my helmet at. In Early October we began construction on the New "Fire Station" and demolished the old "Fire Hall" - Problem is now we live in the Engine Room Portion of the old building now with out Offices,or Storage. We have an old Slop Sink in the back and one half way functioning urinal...{#2 has to be done in the Senior citizens "Hall" across the street. We converted the old Tool/Storage/Work Room into a make-shift Lounge with a couple of tables and chairs and a sofa...A TV with out cable and christmas lights for interior lighting...a little spray painted pictures on the wall and Presto...Instant hang-out spot....Maybe in the next year or so we'll be in our new "Station" but at the rate things are going I'm not holding my breath...Hell we really don't even have aparking lot anymore....The demo guys ripped it up when the demolished the old structure ---- OK when it's dry but when it rains parking is like mud wrestling with a car.....Ugly Sh**
    Stratford Fire Company # 1
    New Jersey State Firemen's Convention Champions - 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000

MembersZone Subscriber

The building with the fire trucks should be called a "Firehouse" or "Fire Station." Firehouse would be better suited for a full time department but either are interchangable. I've used "Quarters" before too which I think is ok.

What ever you do, don't ever, ever, ever, call it a "Fire Barn!"

"Engine 1 is back at the barn"<--------I hate that!! It's not a barn!

Keep your head down or your powder dry.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool

Around this part of PA, everyone I know refers to it as a firehall. Ours was built in 1936 and has the old community center attatched to the rear, so I can fully understand why it's called a hall. But even the ones in the area that don't have this feature are called halls. Once in a great while someone might say they'll be down at the station. And I've caught myself saying I'd be down at the ambulance garage when I am on the gut bucket. But that's about it, we're all volly's around here so we don't live at our stations like career dept., though I've been acused of doing so. As for firehouse, I guess I could understand it if it were a single company, but otherwise I just thought it was a magazine.
    Randall E. Guntrum FF/E.M.T.

If lights, siren and air horn do not attract the attention of a driver, he or she is too drunk to be assisted by a paint scheme.
    Stay safe.

Talking politically correct?

You've got to be kidding me. You are trying to lay a definition to terms that can only be defined by time and place? If you come up with an answer to this, than maybe you can tell me exactly where "yonder" is, or if "you guys" includes the ladies in the room, or for that matter what "physically challanged" or "hearing impaired" means.
    Dan LaRue
    Lieutenant
    Elkmont Volunteer Fire Dept.

Your talents are a gift from God
    How you use them are your gift to God.

Sr. Information Officer

Originally posted by E40FDNYL35
    I don't know anything about a Fire Hall except you crawl down it and put it out. But a Firehouse is a home. It is where I live with my BROTHERS.
    Truer words were never spoken. A firehouse. It's where the bond between "Brothers" grows stronger day by day. It's where a family lives....a family whose members are always there for one another. It's the place our public turns to in their time of need.

A firehouse. Home sweet home!
    Proudly serving as the IACOJ Minister of Information & Propoganda!
    Be Safe! Lookouts-Awareness-Communications-Escape Routes-Safety Zones

*Gathering Crust Since 1968*
    On the web at www.section2wildfire.com

Thread Information