Thread: terms

Question terms

Im doing a project on fire fighting. i woz jus wondering could someone tell me :

what is the collective term used for firefighters at the fire station when on duty, and what is the term used for fire fighters when working together on a fire engine?

Thank you

Forum Member

On-duty firefighters: Firefighters, Crew, Company
    Working on engine (or other apparatus): Engine Company, Truck Company, Rescue Company

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Forum Member

Group, Shift = On duty

Company,personel, hey you guys = company

You'll probably get more answers than you anticipated....

Good luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Engine company - hosers
    Truck company - balcony ballerinas

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by drkblram
    FF hanging out at the firehouse = whackers who have no lives.
    Drk: I think stirling316 is referring to the career guys, not us volunteer folk.
    Last edited by Adze39; 11-03-2002 at 07:30 PM.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Truckie

5 post and it has already going vollie vs. career- is that a record?

Where I work its engine company, truck company, squad, as a whole its called a shift.
    The POC department where I live has night ambulance assignments and that is called the "duty crew".
    As drkblram was refering to, nickname abound!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

IACOJ Agitator

drk and I are both Vollies and were just kidding around with that whole "no life" thing...even though that is what we tend to say about people who sit around the station all day because they have nothing else to do.
    IACOJ Agitator

Truckie

Talking

Rats, I thought we where going for the record!
    As far as some of the volie vs career argument, can we all get anymore juvenille?
    The "no life" thing is pretty accurate, at my former POC department, it was usually a couple of pain in the a@# explorers. They meant well, but.... If not them, it was happily married guys, if you know what I mean!
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason

Forum Member

Round here:

Engine Guys - ******-bags
    Rescue Guys - god squad
    Truck Guys - truckers

On duty or off, a fireman is a fireman (or firewoman for those who need to be pc)

fg
    See You At The Big One

Truckie

Talking

I wonder what firemangeorge rides?....
    George Mason

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought the squad guys were just truckies who were afraid of heights!

Just kiddin' folks
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

FIREMAN 1st GRADE

The truckie is The FIREMAN'S friend.
    They help find the fire.
    They get the civilians out of the way.
    They break a few things.
    And then they run away so the ENGINE - FIREMEN can put the fire out.

Remember if our job was easy the cops would be doing it....
    The KNOB IS THE JOB!!!!!
    ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
    NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
    CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
    LT. John Ginley Engine 40
    FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
    FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
    FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
    FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
    FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
    FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
    FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40
    FF. Michael Dauria Engine 40

Charleston 9
    "If my job was easy a cop would be doing it."
    *******************CLICK HERE*****************

Forum Member

40/35;

LMFAO!!!!

IACOJ BOD

I is confuzed.

Down here we drive around in trucks the New Zealand Fire Service refers to as appliances.

Any number of bodies in a truck above 3 is a crew, below that you are going out to get dinner.

Every one of them is called a Fireman/Firefighter (take your pick)

They all find fire and they all put it out, and they all do rescue work.

Except for the one standing by the pump panel, he juggles our water supply, and doesn't sweat at all.

Oh, and the one waving his arms and shouting at everybody, very annoying type of creature this.

New guys under training are called "Probies" how that came about from "Probably last one day" I will never know. The other common term for a bunch of Probies is either a "Thicket" or a "Vacant Lot".

A "Line" is one continues length of hose made up of how ever many "Lengths" are needed.

At the end of the "Line" is a "Branch", this is the metal bit we use to spray water. It is actualy straight so go figure why it is called a "Branch"

The clothes we wear are called PPE or Personal Protection Equipment. Believe me when I say it is Personal. There is no way you are borrowing my gear in a fire.

Just remember, if you forget all of your terminology, and you need to call out to a person on your crew "Hey You in the funny suit" sometimes works.
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Cool Terms

R: Abreviation, stands for "RECREATIONAL"

RV: "RECREATIONAL VENTILATION"
    RO: "RECREATIONAL OVERHAUL"
    RYOR: "RECREATIONAL YACKING ON RADIO"
    You'll like this one!
    RTHSANWLRC: "RECREATIONAL TRACKING of HOG ***** ACROSS NEW WHITE LIVING ROOM CARPETING"

IACOJ BOD

JollyRoger

For those emails you get, or official memmorandums that cannot be deciphered, and people that just plane kant spell.

an abbreviation from the computer world

PEBCAK

Problem
    Exists
    Between
    Chair
    And
    Keyboard

Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Cool BWAHAHA!!!!!

BWAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAAHA HAAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Quite a list.....

Here in Maryland, we kinda have our own language, particulary in Baltimore (Speaking Bawlmorese is a thread in itself) May I lend definition to some of the terms already thrown around? 1. Appliance - that would be a washer or dryer or refrigerator or stove. Branch - a small stream, also called a creek(pronounced krik) Truckie - a person who is qualified (but not yet admitted) for a bed at the local nut house. Probie - someone who is always probing around for something (anybody seen the can of friction loss reducer?) Rescue - misnomer for SQUAD - the can do, will do, wherever, whenever, whatever, guys and gals who are always called out when the engines and trucks can't quite get a grip on the job at hand. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Default Hablas CFD?

I suppose every FD has its own language. The longer they have been around (I may be biased here, as we are the oldest career department in the country, our 150th being in April), the more unique the dialect. We have many strange terms that took a while to get the hang of when I came on:

Joker room: The watch room. The origin has been debated at length, but I believe it is because of the old Gamewell Joker system that alerted a station of a fire.

Joker Stand: Where the alarms are received. Generally a desk or table.

Next Day: Three days from now.

Last Day: Three days ago.

Emily Bar: a funky tool invented by a retired guy named Emily (seriously).

Kelly day: a skipped tour that every member has the pleasure of enjoying every three weeks.

Trucker: truckman. The engine guys say we sleep till we're hungry then eat till we're sleepy.

******bagger: What we call them when they say this about us.

Boss: district (battalion) chief.

Geese: Beers. From the days of beer in the firehouse. Kind of a code I think. "How many geese you want us to pick up for after dinner?"

God Squad: The rescue boys. Name says it all. If they are there, someone is getting close to God.

Making a Lieutentant (or what ever position is next above you): Using the restroom in the sitting position.

Stick: what the truckers have on top of their truck.

The Box: BLS Ambulance.

Rescue Unit: ALS version of The Box.

Getting jacked off: Being yelled at by an officer (or anyone who may be superior). You should see the look on a proby's face when you say "You break that axe handle and the Lieutenant will jack you off!"

Buggy: The automobile driven by any commanding officer.

Can Handle: This is new in the last few years, but really strange anyway. I'll use it in context because i don't know how to define it. Engine 99,"Make this a 'can handle' for Engine 99 and the first in truck".
    Dispatch, "Engine 99 that's a can handle for you and the first in truck". Make any sense to you?

Fire Tower: the place (which is not a tower by any stretch of the imagination) from which dispatch repeats these strange phrases.

One L lama: The Dali Himself.

Two L llama: A strange looking horse/goat/giraff crossbreed thingy.

Three L llama: A new york three alarm.

Hey Kiwi, I read a book last year (actually two of them) by a retired LFB guy named Dave Wilson. Funny as hell but it took me fifty pages to figure what the hell you guys are talking about! Funny how different English is when it is spoken by Englishmen.

Stay Safe

fg
    See You At The Big One

IACOJ Agitator

Default Re: Hablas CFD?

Originally posted by firemangeorge
    Can Handle: This is new in the last few years, but really strange anyway. I'll use it in context because i don't know how to define it. Engine 99,"Make this a 'can handle' for Engine 99 and the first in truck".
    Dispatch, "Engine 99 that's a can handle for you and the first in truck". Make any sense to you?
    hmmmm.....

meaning: Engine 99 and the first in truck "can handle" the call by themselves? That sound like a good explination? Did I get it right?
    IACOJ Agitator

Technician- The guy who Drives and acts as the Officer if the officer is off and has no Stand-in Officer available. Used on the Career Side.

Engineer- Driver and Maintenance guy, more commonly used on the volunteer side here. Some Vollie houses call their drivers "Technician" as well.

Engineman- What HWoods called his Driver when he was Volunteering in AA County! ..LOL

Firefighter- Engine Guy
    FireMAN- Truck Guy
    Observer- Squad Guy (They usually OBSERVE Firefighters and FireMEN putting out fires.)

Wagon- First Engine out the Door...Traditionally Referred to as the Hose Wagon.
    Pumper- Second due Engine, Pumps the Hydrant to the Wagon.
    TOWA LADDAH- A fancy Aerial with a Sissy Basket on top...Commonly used by guys who are afraid to climb ladders.
    Straight Truck- Aerial Device used by Companies who cannot handle "Driver/Tillerman" coordination!
    Hook-n-Ladder - Aerial used by FireMEN to take care of the Truck work, Easily manuevered due to the Bend in the Middle and the Sterring wheel in the back...Can fit in almost any fireground and usually is seen passing Tower Ladders and Straight Ladders while they are staging.

Rescue Squad- Used to carry the "Observers" to the fire.
    Buggy- The Chariot of the Chief!
    Meat Wagon, Sh-t box, Gut Bucket,Taxpayer Taxi or "The thing you beach on someones front yard on a fire"- Ambulance.
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

All in good fun of course, No offense to people who are part of a Rescue Company or a Company that uses a Stright Truck or a Tower Ladder! We all know the Importance of the Job Rescue Companies Perform!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking OOKKKKAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!

CW, I guess that was a gotcha!! Fun intended. By the way do youze guyz down south know that real firetrucks are YELLOW!!! Oh yeah, almost forgot, My wife's late father was a commissioner in the 50's in AA Co. and back then the drivers were "chauffers". I guess they had a side job driving limo's. And 18A says Towah Laddahs do not leave you tired out from the long climb. Stay Safe....
    Last edited by hwoods; 11-07-2002 at 11:47 AM.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

CW, I guess that was a gotcha!! Fun intended. By the way do youze guyz down south know that real firetrucks are YELLOW!!!
    Chief, the only yellow we see is from the Bus Lot on Brandywine Road! HAHA! Thought I saw something down there the other day that Said "18" on it, woops! That was the Short Bus.......=) Just Kidding...and Tell 18A "Real Men don't need Towah Laddahs!" lol. Actually, what ever happened to the ol' Water Tower 18? That was a sweet Sutphen. And Why did you get rid of the "Rescue Wagon?" That beast had the Loudest pipes this side of the Potomac!

Chauffuer is a good term for someone who is a permanent driver. FDNY loves the term! I was always Fond of either "Engineman or Engineer." Did Arundel ever get that New Wagon? I always hear "super7squad" on the radio in Bowie.....Now THATS a REAL SQUAD!!!!

BTW, I need to talk to you in reference to an incident in 43's area a few months ago. I will more than likely be at the Association Meeting at 37. Until then, Be safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

While we're on the subject of terminology, just who was Kelly and why did he get the day off?

BTW, Kelly days are just a distant memory in my dept.
    ullrichk
    a.k.a.
    perfesser

a ship in a harbor is safe. . . but that's not what ships are for

Thread Information