MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Act questions?

A couple weeks ago, I got an e-mail asking for clarification of an item in the narrative and also asking if the department still met the criteria. Is this the "five questions" everyone is asking about? We have not recieved an 1199 yet or a "Dear John" letter. How much longer before we hear a yes or no.

More questions I have:
    1) The equipment I requested funding for was of a certain make/model. If the department decides to no longer use this make/model are we still held to the purchase of what was requested or can we go to another manufacturer for a similar item of the same price?

2) If the amount of funding requested is more than what the actual price may be, can I use the extra for more "stuff". For example, if I was to recieve funding for a bunch of LDH and I didn't spend all of the money on hose, can I spend the rest on adapters/fittings, appliances, and/or hose tools?

3) What if the item requesting funding for has since been purchased? Do we still get the money? Can we add that funding to other items that were requested. For example: If we requested funding for training in a certain area of expertise and have since completed that training, can that money be spent on another item such as the hose mentioned above?

Any answers would be a great help. Thanks.

you can go back in the forums to Sept. in 5 Questions and 1199 you will find the 5 querstions that they ask, also if you go to
    UAFA.FEMA.gov under spotlight assistance to fire fighters grant program you will find a help page for grant recipients it will carry you to information for recipients then go to managing your grant it/s got a little info you are looking for

FH Mag/.com Contributor

1) The equipment I requested funding for was of a certain make/model. If the department decides to no longer use this make/model are we still held to the purchase of what was requested or can we go to another manufacturer for a similar item of the same price?

Yes, as long as the item is still of the same product type, such as a thermal imager, air packs, etc.

2) If the amount of funding requested is more than what the actual price may be, can I use the extra for more "stuff". For example, if I was to recieve funding for a bunch of LDH and I didn't spend all of the money on hose, can I spend the rest on adapters/fittings, appliances, and/or hose tools?

I'd get a clarification from FEMA if/when you receive notification of the award. But, from what I've read and heard it depends on what you asked for. If you asked for LDH, and the price dropped so you could buy more, then you could. I don't think there would be a problem if you bought the same amount of hose and bought related items, such as fittings a whatnot, because things like that are always forgotten about. I don't think you'd be able to go out and buy an airpack or some rescue rope though. It would have to be related directly to the main purpose.

3) What if the item requesting funding for has since been purchased? Do we still get the money? Can we add that funding to other items that were requested. For example: If we requested funding for training in a certain area of expertise and have since completed that training, can that money be spent on another item such as the hose mentioned above?

No. It specifically states in the rules that items purchased prior to an award cannot be reimbursed for. For example, if you specifically asked for $$ for Hazmat OPs training, and that has already been completed, then you are no longer eligible for an award. If that training was part of a project to buy equipment and get training, and you went out and got the training, then the whole application is probably trash because the part of the purpose of the award has already been accomplished, and if you wrote it as a package deal, then it can only be awarded as a package deal.

These are just my interpretations of the rules. I'd get that clarified before the process gets much further down the road so you save yourself the grief of maybe getting the award and then having to give it back because you can't fulfill it.

Brian

Forum Member

Default Question 2

As I read it you can change your line item requests if you grant request is under $100,000. We recived a small training grant last year and though we were not line item specific, we were able to find the best price and strech the dollars futher and fema was ok with it last year.
    wellsfr
    We've been doing so much for so long with so little. We can do almost anything with nothing.

Thread Information