Thread: Nextel

Default Nextel

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just my opinion on your question. I would be very careful relying on a "commercial" phone/radio system for communications. While Nextels do work well, you have no priority within the system over regular communications, so Johnny Dumptruck diver(No Offense anyone) might get through before you. The other problem is that Nextels are user to user, so not everyone would be in the loop. And finally, as of the last time I checked, Nextel do not have backup power supplies for their sites (at least in the Massachusetts area) so what happens when you are playing in the dark.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________

I don't quite understand "Johnny Dumptruck driver might get through before you". My understanding of Nextel radio to radio is that it is pretty much like cellular, same frequencies, same principle, it just stays on the towers and doesn't go to land line other than the circuits between towers. Your group of radios is programmed as a unique group, but part of the whole of all phones that would be using those particular towers. There is no priority of one user over another, other than overall capacity of the system. The only way you couldn't get through is if Nextel has a capacity issue in your area- just like getting an all circuits busy on a cell or land line.

As for "so not everyone would be in the loop", Nextel does support a group feature. Like making a conference call. The thing to remember here is that the minutes come from the same bucket, so everyone burns minutes. But, the capability is there.

I work for a telecommunications company so I am VERY aware of the down time associated with loss of power, loss of backbone circuits, etc. that would affect a Nextel Cell tower. These are very real issues and affect all commmercial traffic, so I would agree that this is NOT a good option for primary communications. Don't think Nextel or the backbone carrier (BellSouth) would give priority to repairs just because a fire deparment happens to be amoung the users of those towers.

Nextel phones, just like cell phones, have their place and can be used very affectively. But, factors for use are very unique to departments in differnent areas so no global recommendations can really be applied to anyone.
    Dan LaRue
    Lieutenant
    Elkmont Volunteer Fire Dept.

Your talents are a gift from God
    How you use them are your gift to God.

Sorry Folks,

This was supposed to be a reply, not a new thread!!!!
    Dan LaRue
    Lieutenant
    Elkmont Volunteer Fire Dept.

Your talents are a gift from God
    How you use them are your gift to God.

Thread Information