Thread: SOP's?

Default SOP's?

Got a question when we join our department we have to sign a letter about reading and understanding all the SOP's and to abide by them. We have several people on our department that disreguard these SOP's including officers. Just a question do your department officers have a so called "officers descrestion"? I mean when it is in requards to the order in truck responses and equipment getting there saftly. Isnt that why we have these SOP's? just a question and looking to here what your thoughts are on the subject thanks guys..
    There's an old saying around the firehouse."You
    don't have to watch your back, because you know someone else is watching it for you"

MembersZone Subscriber

Does the chief know that guys aren't following the sop's?
    If he does he should do something about it, if the sop's are bad then try to get them changed. If they are current then they should be followed.

boy tricky umm what if he was one of them not following them? hense the question do your officers follow SOP's? or is there a "officer descrestion" that over rules them...
    don't have to watch your back, because you know someone else is watching it for you"

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post They're a what?

Are we talking about a Standard Operating PROCEDURE (SOP) or a Standard Operating GUIDELINE (SOG)? a SOP means a procedure must be followed, where a SOG means a guideline has been identified as appropriate for the situation at hand. A procedure is fixed, whereas a guideline is flexible. I would say that an officer has some leeway when dealing with a guideline, but none with a procedure. Stay Safe....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

From a legal aspect if the organic fertilizer hits the air handling device, whether you call them S.O.P.'s or S.O.G.'s doesn't matter.

If you have people not following your S.O.Whatevers, is it because there are problems with the procedures/guidelines that need to be ironed out, or are the personnel who are not following them what needs to be ironed out?

S.O.P.'s should be reviewed at least every other year, and updated whenever necessary.

If it's a problem with personnel freelancing, or at least not following the S.O.P.'s, it can be a very sticky problem. If a "grunt" doesn't follow them, it's pretty straightforward to fix the problem; if it's an officer(s), that's another problem! There is huge liability to the department if the officer does not follow the S.O.P.'s and something goes wrong. Most S.O.P.'s that I've seen do allow deviating from them if the officer/person in charge can articulate why he/she did so.

As a training officer, I've made it a priority to make sure our other officers are "on board" with the training we do, which is basically practicing with our S.O.P.'s. If they don't agree with or have confidence in them or the personnel tasked to carry them out, they will tend to get creative, which can be a bad thing.

One last note - from the aspect of "reading" your S.O.P.'s and then signing the sheet that says you've read and understand them, this practice is having problems from a legal aspect, at least in law enforcement. Our Policy & Procedure manual is about 450 pages - there is no way that someone can "read and understand" everything in it and sign the sheet to that effect. What has been suggested is that there is ongoing training linked to the manual and it's contents - at roll calls, staff meetings, etc. That is what we've started doing.

As far as your specific problem of officers not following the S.O.P.'s - there is no easy way to remedy that, particularly if the chief is already aware of it, or worse, one of the ones who disregards them. One possibility is to set up a small group of personnel representing a cross section of your department to review and recommend modifications to your S.O.P.'s - and be sure to include at least some of the officers who've been disregarding the exisiting ones.

Damn, this got waaaaay too long!

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for your reponses guys.. Its pretty much what i thought but i wanted to make sure of it before i bring it up.. and try to fix the problem..

Thread Information