FIGJAM

Exclamation 200 Car Pile Up!! WWYD?

So you're the Rescue IC for this call.

You arrive to find a 200 car pile up as reported in the news section of this website.

The white car with the green arrow has both front seat occupants trapped by the dashboard and the crushed metal around them.

What Would You Do?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Luke

FIGJAM

CLICK HERE for the full story of this 200 car pile up near Los Angeles...
    Luke

Forum Member

Well, I was always taught if you can move another car
    without causing further injury, move it. It looks like the
    little red car next to it wouldn't be difficult to move.
    I think from what I see I would move the red car and the one
    next to it. Then proceed to take the roof, then do a dash push.
    And bring them up and out.

FIGJAM

What about hazard assessment and control?

It's a big scene with all different problems....
    Luke

Forum Member

I was going on the assumption that was already done.

In that case Obviously we would handle as many hazards as possible.
    I would try to handle it like any othercar accident. Just because it is 200 cars, doesn't mean you can't stick to the basics. Why complicate something that is already complicated. Only differance is I would have a Haz-Mat team or two on scene, high potential for major fuel leaks, and we have no idea until we get down in it what the trucks are hauling.

Forum Member

Turn my pager off and pretend I never heard the call.

Call for more help.

Send a few guys off to do quick assessment of highest need patients/hazards.

Call for more help.

Handle the above needs as possible.

Call for more help.

I also agree that some cars will need to be moved and should be able to without much difficulty.

Call for more help.

As for the white vehicle, once the red one is moved, handle as normal MVA with entrapment.

Did I say Call for more help?

It would be interesting to hear from some of the CA guys that have been through this. I think the west coast has 1 or 2 of these a year due to fog, but not sure.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Call out the world for assistance, and hope and pray I get in bed 12 hours later.

I would start call every ambulance, rescue truck, and air-evac units i could get my hands on and set up a triage. Then I would evaluate for hazardous materials and then if necessary quarentine the whole damn area. Requardless traffic would have to be detured. Then start evaluating cars and patients so I could get to the ones that need the most attention and work all of them out one at a time.
    Last edited by firemonEMT; 11-06-2002 at 01:19 AM.

Forum Member

Talking Lookit the goldmine!

Ever notice these clusters are primarily a Ca. thing?Prioritize,extricate,evaluate,transport and when everybody's accounted for grin all the way to the bank!That's a nifty piece of change all wadded up there.Fog would be my first guess as to the excuse for too many vehicles in too little space.Wonder what these rocket scientists would do in snow?Be fun to watch!Should be a good workout for available companies.T.C.

Notify dispatch we have a very major incident

Request State Police shut the highway down

Assuming road is East-West and we're on the east, request the department to our west respond. Request m/a for two walk in rescues, one to the east, one to the west. We'll setup East Operations, m/a department will setup West Operations (using the walk-ins).

Establish staging areas East & West

Request the appropriate regional dispatch centers send all available help for Rescue trucks & ambulances w/o stripping their areas of coverage. These units will report to staging until Operations on either side requests they move up to another spot (operational area, warm-zone standby, triage, transport, etc)

If I was the Chief, soon as Operations/East is established, I'd leave the scene dragging a few FFs with me. That's not a joke -- too big for me as an individual to affect the outcome. Let Operations handle the operations -- I'll be back at the firehouse setting up an Incident Command Post. State Police, health agencies, DOT, everyone else is to send their represenatives to the fire station and we'll get a handle on things from there. We have the radios, phone lines, faxes, computers, etc to start organizing what's gonna be a many hours long operation.

Then I'll let the East & West Ops commanders decide on how they're gonna start cutting into this mess

Forum Member

Drkblram,Yep I've seen 4" of snow in NC while I was puddlin' a 18 wheeler south for Jacksonville.It's still fun to watch.The DIG was that MAINA'S seem to have enough sense to slow down in fog while those on the left coast,welllll let's just say a picture speaks volumes.Thing about multi-car MVAs is that you will have variables on injuries.Some will be serious but a lot won't.Stretches your resources but after you do a couple you just get into the swing of the whole drill.Someone made a good days wages on this one.T.C.

FIGJAM

Me thinks the best way to tackle this is to break it down into smaller sectors and set up sector commanders....

* Block all lanes, both directions.

* Medical Triage will be at each end of the scene, due to the shear size and spread of it.

* At least one HAZMAT team will be responded for standby or to take care of the tankers and any other spills.

* All response vehicles will be staged on the opposite lanes and co-ordinated by a Transport Officer or similar.

* Heli-med landing will be done on the grass areas surrounding the scene, once again co-ordinated by a Landing Officer or similar.

* An incident command centre will be set up somewhere central to the scene, with all sector commanders reporting to it, who in turn will liase with despatch, hospitals, other agencies, etc.

* A media command post will be set up, some distance from the scene to ensure they don't congest the scene with their vehicles or worse still, their helicopters. The scene would also be a no fly zone to ensure a smooth flight away for the heli-med's.

* With regards to the rescue, treat it as any other, bearing in mind it may be harder to gain access to the vehcile due to the congetsion of the surrounding vehicles. This may start off as a "hand tools" extrication until the team can get the big toys in to take over...
    Luke

Forum Member

Default Re: Lookit the goldmine!

Originally posted by Rescue101
    Ever notice these clusters are primarily a Ca.
    The difference between here and there is that when visibility drops to 10 feet, we slow down. I worked out there 2 years ago, never could understand their traffic patterns, a million cars, all doing 85-95MPH, with about 20 feet between each, and only one person in each. They were much more courtious than Boston traffic, but man they were flying.

I also was stationed in NC back in my rotten to the Corps days, and it snowed once, about 1/2 and inch. I had a 67 Buick Special, a big boat, not very good in the snow, but I didn't think of 1/2 inch as snow. It paralized the entire county. The base was shut down for 2 days, cars in ditches all over the place.

East-West command, clear an LZ for helo's on each end, meet in the middle. Send in multiple EMS teams to triage, I like the paint on the roof idea, need to follow that up with an all-clear mark so command can see what progress is being made from the command post on the hill. Notify all hospitals of an incoming MCI.

I'd call for some wreckers (101 you available?) to at first pull cars out of the way then start removing them, at least 2 jaws teams on each end, but not much more, 4 would get in each others ways. I would also prefer jaws teams with smaller trucks, our 53,000lbs rescue pumper would not be my 1st choice to go crawling in there, you'd have to clear a very wide lane.

Detail hazards inspection team to work through and ID all potential hazards, fuel tank leaks, hazmat. They could also use a paint on the roof mark to ID leakers and other hazards.

Get the CHP on scene to shoot the mountain lions who come down from the hills and try to drag victims away

Besure to inform all incoming units about traffic patterns you set up, ie "stay to the right of the road in&out".

I'd want to set up the east-west commands, and each command would need a triage, LZ, traffic, EMS, and staging officer to keep things flowing smoothly, so we're gonna need a lot of officers with some command experiance.

EMS commands will need to get the right level of care to the right patients, coordinate with staging to get enough rigs up to the scene, but not too many, coordinate with area hospitals and make sure you send patients to the best facility for their injuries, and at the same time not overwhelm any one hospital with too many patients.

I'd start thinking about some oh-s#$% senerios, what if the tanker catches fire, get me two aerials and set up a water supply to control any fires which may spring up. Two hazmat teams (east-west). Put every tanker in a 40mile radius on standby, get a few rolling. Notify lifeflight to get all birds ready, request 2 to the scene until we get a better grip on casulties.

This is where your mutual aid training is really put to the test.

Thank god I like on the right coast.

Forum Member

Overheard last year while extricating a "profesional executive" (suit & tie and all) from his brand new BMW SUV, in which he had just blown a 4-way stop and caused a 3-way accident with 4" of wet snow on the ground...

"I don't understand why I couldn't stop, I was in four wheel drive"

Move back to Massachusettes you moron.

Forum Member

Oh I just love those luxury cars!They come apart in such precise fashion.304,you've been breaking those boots in for a month.What kind did you get,Ironware?Had mine broken in in a week.I looking forward to a bit more snow,the last batch turned quite a nice profit.T.C.

Forum Member

Yes, I am still trying to break these things in, I've worn them on more rescue calls than fire calls lately (my gear smells more like me than smoke now). I did get to extricate a bobolink from a rolled over SUV with them Tuesday am!

A little VFD hyku (sp?)

On call tonight,
    bunkerpants sit by the door,
    waiting, waiting, waiting.

Thread Information