MembersZone Subscriber

Wow I didn't even notice that. LOL! How in the h*ll did this end up resurfacing?

FTM-PTB

Permanently Removed

I saw it on the bottom of my screen and clicked on it. SORRY!

Forum Member

Hmmm...Id like to know if they ever got it fixed
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    And from what I heard, everyone now has to be a medic that is coming out of the academy. So, someone with their fire certs and their medic patch coming in, once out of the academy, is making like 39,500. Plus, chunk that overtime in there and your doing not 1/2 bad.

And the 24 on 24 off 24 on then 4 days off lets you have freetime if you need it. Land within an hour or two of Houston can be found for a reasonable price so you can raise cattle and such
    Just to update that. Houston Fire Department has had a plan of making everyone a paramedic that comes through the academy for the past 5 years or so. Two months ago the city announced that they had enough medics to adequately cover the city(500). Now mainly due to lack of finacial resources the city has cancelled most of its classes. The Houston Fire Department has offered all its recruits as well as some recent hires the choice to apply for paramedic school or take 24 months on the busiest basic ambulances. Those who chose the 24 months will only be allowed to ride on fire apparatus on debit days. Thats only one day a month. If you chose pm school you have to apply. The last word is that nearly 150 people are expected to apply for only 40 spots in the next class.

oh yeah by the way its five days off to raise cattle and such

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey Paul. What happens if you come on with your Medic Patch already?

Forum Member

I've always thought this thread stunk of Nail200!
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

I dont know but I think what happened is that it was locked, somehow it came unlocked? and when it did, it brought it back up to the main page

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I dont know but I think what happened is that it was locked, somehow it came unlocked? and when it did, it brought it back up to the main page
    Maybe they forgot to lock it. Seen that happen before. Or maybe it did get unlocked "accidentally"

Thought it was pretty funny this morning when I read Bou's post .... I just knew there would be a flurry of posts, even though it's 5 years old and he said "fogedabowdit" ok so I don't do a very good Italian accent LOL. I was right though!

I'm sure this brings back a lot of memories for the long-time forum members. (May he RIP)
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RspctFrmCalgary View Post
    Maybe they forgot to lock it. Seen that happen before. Or maybe it did get unlocked "accidentally"

Thought it was pretty funny this morning when I read Bou's post .... I just knew there would be a flurry of posts, even though it's 5 years old and he said "fogedabowdit" ok so I don't do a very good Italian accent LOL. I was right though!

I'm sure this brings back a lot of memories for the long-time forum members. (May he RIP)
    You mean:

FaGedbowit
    Co 11
    Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Forum Member

Talking

well isnt this a whoooooo dunit ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

Houston does not have TMRS. They have their own retirement system that is one of the best in the state. Stuff like a 10 yr drop and stuff. And if you come in as a medic you are a medic after their little month Houston Medic Cert and then you are on a squad.
    Chris
    FF/Lic-Paramedic
    Galveston FD "The Big House"
    IAFF Local 571
    www.galvestonfiredept.org

Forum Member

Hey Paul. What happens if you come on with your Medic Patch already?
    If you come in as a FF/P you go through a 6 week class on HFD firefighting procedures and also a 2 week course on Paramedic protocols. Then you will get badged and sent out. This is where stuff has been questionable. You will then go to an internship as a paramedic. You have to do certain stuff. Example of so many intubations a full arrest and some other stuff. Then they send you infront of the med director and you run a mock full arrest by HFD protocols. Then your officially cleared to work as a paramedic for the city. Takes anywhere from 4 months to however long you take. The problem has been shortage of preceptors. So FF/P have been waiting for preceptors. I think the wait is around 2 months or so. During this time you will be functioning as a FF/EMT on the pumper as well as box.
    But the extra $7200 a year is worth it. Not to mention OT for medics is endless.

MembersZone Subscriber

interesting.... I've been looking for some excitement in life. Although... Houston is the armpit of texas

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker1 View Post
    Anyone out there, anyone been offered a 16% raise?
    Yes, every four years (after waiting four years without a contract every time!) Ours is up again in june. I'll tell you in four years what we get!!!!

4% a year is a bare minimum, not something to brag about.......
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

MembersZone Subscriber

In reality, 4% a year is basically no raise at all, but just keeping up with inflation.

As to Houston being the armpit of Texas:
    "Houston is a cruel and crazy town on a filthy river in East Texas with no zoning laws and a culture of sex, money and violence. It's a shabby sprawling metropolis ruled by brazen women, crooked cops and super-rich pansexual cowboys who live by the code of the West -- which can mean just about anything you need it to mean, in a pinch."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

To some that sounds bad..but to me it sounds pretty awesome.

As for Dallas, Texas Monthly described it as "the land of fake boobs and leased BMW's."

MembersZone Subscriber

long as I can squeeze em, they are real enough....

No step plan here.... 5% merit per year. Its nice but the step plan is wanted by some, hated by others. Step plan is great for guys under 5 years. Then, depending on where you work, it can be a shot in the foot.

No top out here. Possible to be making base of around 70k or more just being a firefighter when start out pay is around 35k-45k depending what city

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by vegas0012 View Post
    In reality, 4% a year is basically no raise at all, but just keeping up with inflation.

As to Houston being the armpit of Texas:
    "Houston is a cruel and crazy town on a filthy river in East Texas with no zoning laws and a culture of sex, money and violence. It's a shabby sprawling metropolis ruled by brazen women, crooked cops and super-rich pansexual cowboys who live by the code of the West -- which can mean just about anything you need it to mean, in a pinch."
    - Hunter S. Thompson

To some that sounds bad..but to me it sounds pretty awesome.

As for Dallas, Texas Monthly described it as "the land of fake boobs and leased BMW's."
    Actually inflation has been running about 2 or 3 percent a year. So this is a raise. But really, if you want a real raise why not move up the ladder? Of course you also get longevity raises. So maybe the annual raise should be tied to the annual rate of inflation.

Of course this whole discussion hits on one of my pet peeves, that is how useless Unions are in this day and age. The place I just left was part of the Teamsters union and they were absolutely useless. All they wanted was that money from our paychecks. And I wasn't alone there either. Funny thing is I know a few State Troopers, they hate the unions as well. They are tottally useless for them, especially since they can't strike. LMAO!!!! Remeber the Air Traffic Controllers? Is it any wonder I think Reagan was the greatest president we have seen in the last 100 years.
    Last edited by HotTrotter; 05-08-2007 at 09:32 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Actually inflation has been running about 2 or 3 percent a year. So this is a raise. But really, if you want a real raise why not move up the ladder? Of course you also get longevity raises. So maybe the annual raise should be tied to the annual rate of inflation.

Of course this whole discussion hits on one of my pet peeves, that is how useless Unions are in this day and age. The place I just left was part of the Teamsters union and they were absolutely useless. All they wanted was that money from our paychecks. And I wasn't alone there either. Funny thing is I know a few State Troopers, they hate the unions as well. They are tottally useless for them, especially since they can't strike. LMAO!!!! Remeber the Air Traffic Controllers? Is it any wonder I think Reagan was the greatest president we have seen in the last 100 years.
    Is it any wonder everyone thinks you are the biggest ******bag they have seen in the last 100 years? Are you a career firefighter? What would you know about fire departments striking?

Forum Member

I know were getting a 4.5% raise in June. Not much but the way the old heads always told me the money is at the end of the rainbow. I generously dontate to my deferred compensation and with pension and the drop. I am destined to retire well. Plus its the greatest job in the world so raise or not I couldnt be happier.

Forum Member

do not confuse three years of 0% followed by 16% as eqivalent to 4% per yr. You lose the compounding effect of sequential annual raises.

More importantly members that retired during the extended negotiations would lose their retoractive pension boost due to the revised annual wages earned. Maybe that's why thos useless union leaders rejected the offer in the first place

Forum Member

Is it any wonder everyone thinks you are the biggest ******bag they have seen in the last 100 years? Are you a career firefighter? What would you know about fire departments striking?
    Thanks Chicago I just spit a Rum and Coke all over my monitor and key board.
    I love how ya tell, it like it is.

Cheers Firedog21
    Ia.F.F. Proud

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF View Post
    Why do you need ot be a career firefighter to have knowledge of Unions? Do you think they are the only ones with useless Union structures that suck cash out of their memebrs? And who said I knew anything about fire fighters striking? Open your eyes, read the lines of text. Tell me where I sadin anything at all about Fire Fighters striking. I don't know for sure, but I believe they are also prohibited from striking. So what good is a Union? But I like it. Another battle one. You get hit with logic and reality and respond with name calling. No facts. No logic. No insight. You simply don't know what to say. All you know is you have been brainwashed by the $100,000 a year Union bosses that you need them. And you have no problem giving them your money. Unions in this country have essentially outlived their usefullness. Labor laws and free trade have obsoleted them. I was able to improve my job and my position. And I didn't need a Union to help me do it. Matter of fact, there were a couple of non Unoin jobs that came out in the papers as I was leaving, and they paid more money. Unions are one of the Great American rip-offs of this century.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by firedog21 View Post
    Thanks Chicago I just spit a Rum and Coke all over my monitor and key board.
    I love how ya tell, it like it is.

Cheers Firedog21
    Ia.F.F. Proud
    Obviously not your first Rum and Coke, 10 or 11 I would guess. He didn't say anything. FYI Einstein, keyboard is one word.

Forum Member

Another battle one.
    "Won," genius. A typo is one thing, mixing up your mono-syllabic words is another. When you're going to crow about your abilities and mock others, police your posts. Eliminate misspellings. Just some advice.

The contract was voted down by people who want to promote and thought eliminating jobs was a bad thing. Contracts are supposed to improve working conditions, and eliminating positions isn't usually an improvement.

The raise settled upon is like stirring cheese into mashed potatos. It disappears. The scumbag HMO Blue Texas is raising their rates again, in spite of the fact that they skip out on paying for procedures, drag their leaden feet in getting approvals, and seem to have an unacceptable amount of paperwork as compared to other bastard *** piece of **** HMOs. That's like saying someone was too evil to be in the Nazi party.

Forum Member

Why do you need ot be a career firefighter to have knowledge of Unions? Do you think they are the only ones with useless Union structures that suck cash out of their memebrs?

Because this is a firefighting website. Everything here should pertain in some way to firefighting. So when you start bashing the union, I ask "What the hell would you know about it?" because I know from every post you make that you have never been a firefighter, much less an IAFF firefighter.

And who said I knew anything about fire fighters striking? Open your eyes, read the lines of text. Tell me where I sadin anything at all about Fire Fighters striking. I don't know for sure, but I believe they are also prohibited from striking. So what good is a Union?

Because you mentioned the ATC affair, laughing at guys loosing their jobs, as if it were pertinant to this discussion. You don't know s#it about the issue and prove it by implying we can't strike, idiot. We can and we have and by doing so have greatly improved conditions for our selves and others.

But I like it. Another battle one. You get hit with logic and reality and respond with name calling. No facts. No logic. No insight. You simply don't know what to say. All you know is you have been brainwashed by the $100,000 a year Union bosses that you need them. And you have no problem giving them your money.

$100,000??? Where did you get that number? Maybe that seems like alot to you, hillbilly, but in the real world, union represented firefighters are making that. Our local president makes far more than that.

Unions in this country have essentially outlived their usefullness. Labor laws and free trade have obsoleted them. I was able to improve my job and my position. And I didn't need a Union to help me do it. Matter of fact, there were a couple of non Unoin jobs that came out in the papers as I was leaving, and they paid more money. Unions are one of the Great American rip-offs of this century.
    Yet another topic you open your mouth on with no understanding of. Go back to your volly house, have a beer, and leave union issues to union members, you uninformed small timer.

Thread Information