Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by johnny46 View Post
    "Won," genius. A typo is one thing, mixing up your mono-syllabic words is another. When you're going to crow about your abilities and mock others, police your posts. Eliminate misspellings. Just some advice.

The contract was voted down by people who want to promote and thought eliminating jobs was a bad thing. Contracts are supposed to improve working conditions, and eliminating positions isn't usually an improvement.

The raise settled upon is like stirring cheese into mashed potatos. It disappears. The scumbag HMO Blue Texas is raising their rates again, in spite of the fact that they skip out on paying for procedures, drag their leaden feet in getting approvals, and seem to have an unacceptable amount of paperwork as compared to other bastard *** piece of **** HMOs. That's like saying someone was too evil to be in the Nazi party.

Oppps... You are right it is WON, not one. Must be a small short circuit

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jlcooke3 View Post
    Actually you don't need to be a career FF to have a general knowledge about unions. You just need to be one to know the IAFF.

I used to think unions were out dated and useless, that is until I joined the IAFF. In the 2 years that our local has become more active we have secured an 8% raise for our members and just recently secured a pension that 1. allows use to leave at 55yoa with 25yos with no penalty 2. allows us to carry our insurance with us when we leave. This has been no small achievment as this is the best pension that has been made available to our members since 1976. These are just two of the accomplishments that a UNION in a right to work state has done.

Skippy you ain't got a clue, and you couldn't buy one.
    Teamsters, Teachers, IAFF, a Union is a Union. I belonged to one of the supposedl;y most powerful Unions and they were useless and not worth the $10 a week they stole from me. FYI, that is $520 per year. I would be willing to bet if you made the fire service more competitve the salaries and benefits would go up. Once an employer has invested in your training and getting you up t ospeed they don't want to see you leave, that is if you are worth keeping around. The paid firefighters have gotten into the same mold as the teachers. we get a job and stay there until we retire. We don't have to try to better ourselves because we are in a Union and have Tenure. The ATC guys got what they deserved. They knew the rules when the signed up and Reagan made them accountable.

Quote Originally Posted by HotTrotter View Post
    Teamsters, Teachers, IAFF, a Union is a Union. I belonged to one of the supposedl;y most powerful Unions and they were useless and not worth the $10 a week they stole from me. FYI, that is $520 per year. I would be willing to bet if you made the fire service more competitve the salaries and benefits would go up. In many places the fire service is quite competitive in recruiting and retaining quality employees.Once an employer has invested in your training and getting you up t ospeed they don't want to see you leave, that is if you are worth keeping around.You are under the assumption that employers actually care for employees and we all know what assuming does, don't we. The paid firefighters have gotten into the same mold as the teachers. we get a job and stay there until we retire. WE??? We who? You got a mouse in your pocket? You've made it quite clear that you are not a paid firefighter.We don't have to try to better ourselves because we are in a Union and have Tenure. The ATC guys got what they deserved. They knew the rules when the signed up and Reagan made them accountable.
    Hate to break it to you but the IAFF is not there to get you a job or help you keep it. The IAFF International and its locals not only work to improve pay and benefits of its members, it also exist to better the working conditions to make our jobs as safe as possible. The IAFF (a union that you detest, as you detest all unions) has done more to increase the safety of all firefighters not just the ones of us who pay dues.

Do the squads and ambo's get to fight any fire?

Forum Member

Hey HotTrotter

Maybe I have had more then 1 Rum and Coke, but in the morning I will be sobber, and you will still be a ******BAG.

Firedog21
    I.A.F.F. Proud

Why the hell did I even respond to this 5 year old thread?

I hate to bump old topics but I got a quick question:

I called today and was told that Houston has a test for non-certified and certified people. I was told that the current test was for non-certified. Any idea when the next certified test is?

And, is it any different that the non-certified test?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JHR1985 View Post
    I hate to bump old topics but I got a quick question:

I called today and was told that Houston has a test for non-certified and certified people. I was told that the current test was for non-certified. Any idea when the next certified test is?

And, is it any different that the non-certified test?
    The difference is the non class is for civilians with no training at all. The certified class is for either FF/EMT or FF/P depending on the test. I took the non class despite I had already been FF/EMT for a year and was working for a department. The long way about things cause I got through in 9 months as apposed to 8 weeks. I have heard unofficially the next test for FF/EMT or FF/P will most likely be toward end of the month.

Forum Member

Do the squads and ambo's get to fight any fire?
    Not really there are rotating stations that have a system of being on apparatus for a stint then back on the EMS side but straight EMS when your on one of those bad boys. Unless your lucky enough to get a DC who will use them as rit team. Other than that its just on the outside humping slack and videoing.

Well... I called and was told that I could take the non-certified test but that I could also wait for the certified test and they told me they were not 100% sure but to expect that one in July sometime.

I figured I would go ahead and wait for that one. I dont know how it works... are they more apt to take the list of ones who are certified or do they do like a 50/50 from both lists?

Well... I called and was told that I could take the non-certified test but that I could also wait for the certified test and they told me they were not 100% sure but to expect that one in July sometime.

I figured I would go ahead and wait for that one. I dont know how it works... are they more apt to take the list of ones who are certified or do they do like a 50/50 from both lists?
    You'd have to ask them what points are awarded for this go round.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Talking Well............

Quote Originally Posted by CALFFBOU View Post
    Why the hell did I even respond to this 5 year old thread?
    Because your Brain is fried from wearing Tactical Tupperware??......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Thread Information