Default Is this Guy Fox or Bonfire night where you live?

I think it is a British thing. But ever since I can remember Nov the 5th is always bonfire night here. I have also heard it called Guy Fox night. Not sure on the spelling. usally people have a little or big bonfire, it is something you do with friends or family and some towns have a town one.

Yes.. Some people do take it to extreem and many big centers have banned Bonfire night.

How about in your area?

Default ??????

Never herd of this as a tradition...What is it ?
    Stratford Fire Company # 1
    New Jersey State Firemen's Convention Champions - 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000

IACOJ BOD

Default For Fawkes sake.

The man was Gut Fawkes.

have a read here to see why this tradition is continued around the Commenwealth countries.

http://www.bonefire.org/guy/gunpowder.php
    Psychiatrists state 1 in 4 people has a mental illness.
    Look at three of your friends, if they are ok, your it.

Forum Member

Thumbs down Bonfire Night-A.K.A-Guy Fawkes night

This is the most busiest night of the year for the various Brigades around the U.K (and the other commonwealth countries--sorry Flying Kiwi) this is a profit driven chance for a variety of different companies to make a buck or two--this also involves a few million dollars in hospital bills/fire insurance to the tax payer. If only a Govt. in any country caught up in this "celebration" had enuff "Balls" to say "O.K this little fireworks display has cost "X" and we want it back from the fireworks manufacturers--problem solved!" But like the gun laws in the U.S.A--whats a few dead people to our right to have fun?
    "If you thought it was hard getting into the job--wait until you have to hang the "fire gear"up and walk away!"
    Harry Lauder 1981.Me on the left!

But like the gun laws in the U.S.A--whats a few dead people to our right to have fun?
    Not sure your position on our gun laws. Are you saying they are too lax? Personally here in Maryland, you basically have to give up your first-born to own/purchase a gun. Thanks to all the Liberal Scum running this state, we have stricter gun laws than most states that surround us. But, that was all taken care of tonight in the Gubenatorial race, THE REPUBLICANS ARE BACK IN MARYLAND! THANK THE LORD AND GOOD BYE KENNEDY! Have fun on your way back to Hyannis Port!
    You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

Default Fox Fawkes....close?

Well its over and we never had a call!! Still can't believe it.
    Thanks for the info Kiwi.
    Take care

On a historical note...

Guy Fawke's day was popular in the colonies until George Washington himself issued an order forbidding it's celebration among the troops.

Guy Fawke's Day was anti-catholic (Guy being one of the Catholics who had tried to blow up the English Parliment & King), with things like burning the pope in effigy and going in costume to catholic's homes in an early version of trick-or-treat (or rather trick-or-beer). Since the Americans wanted not only French support directly, but would benefit from friendly relations with the French-Canadians of Quebec, it was suppressed.

IACOJ BOD

CW
    Go back to the "Just venting some steam" thread please, and throw your toys out of the cot there. Having never seen a "Gubernat" let alone a bunch of them race, I have no comment on your gambling habits.

Ell-Eff-Bee
    Oh so true Brother.

We had a quiet night in comparison to normal due to wet weather over most of the country. The normal call out rate sees us clock up 7 days worth of calls over the one day.

Along with the damage in dollar value to proprerty, comes the permanent maiming, and blinding of a number of people each year.

As well as traumatised animals, in some cases deliberately by unthinking uncaring almost humans.

The New Zealand Fire Service supports the complete ban of fireworks for private sale and actively promotes public displays as a safe controlled environment for fireworks.

Jeez did anybody spot my obvious spelling mistake in the guys name?

Kiwi, it was meant as "Gubernatorial Race" which is the campaign for individual State Governors. Excuse me for making a typo, I guess not everyone can be as perfect as you right? I have no Gambling habit, I guess thats another stereotype of yours directed towards Americans.....arrogance runs rampant in the UK and its Territories so I wouldn't expect any less from a country who took time out from fighting the Germans to drink tea. Sprechen Sie Deutsches? Probably not Thanks to us!

Haben Sie Einen Guten Tag, Kippejungen!

Forum Member

arrogance runs rampant in the UK and its Territories
    It also runs rampant in MD.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

IACOJ Agitator

Everyone (this includes you Kiwi) just ignore him, don't let him ruin another thread.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Hey, all I did was ask someone to explain a statement to me. As most of you have done with me. No need for him to get sarcastic with me, especially since it wasn't even directed to him.

So I ask again....Ell-Eff-Bee, what did you mean with your statement about American Gun Laws?

Forum Member

For the love of god CW, every time you open your mouth you confirm our belief that you are a petulant child at best!

Do yourself a favor and censor yourself!!

I.E.- Shutup stupid!!
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Truckie

Angry

But like the gun laws in the U.S.A--whats a few dead people to our right to have fun?
    Yep, shooting people ranks right up there with beer and sex. We ill-mannered, uneducated, rude Americans just know how to have a good time.

Another myth dispelled: States or Districs with the toughest gun laws have the most violent crime committed with guns- ie Washington D.C., New York, and those with conceal carry laws, the lowest- Texas, Louisiana. Gun crime comitted by registered owner is well below 1/10th`of 1%. All this while violent crime in the UK and Australia sky rockets.

But hey, what would I know, I only LIVE here. Besides, if it wasn't for us gun toting Americans' that knew how to shoot, there would be a lot of German speaking people in Europe. Not to mention a bunch of Japanese speaking people in the pacific.

You want to flame me, go ahead, but have a few facts first...
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 11-07-2002 at 02:15 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

IACOJ Agitator

Originally posted by SPFDRum
    But hey, what would I know, I only LIVE here. Besides, if it wasn't for us gun toting Americans' that knew how to shoot, there would be a lot of German speaking people in Europe. Not to mention a bunch of Japanese speaking people in the pacific.
    Not to mention we'd be a Commonwealth of the UK.
    IACOJ Agitator
    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

IACOJ BOD

Um don't get all upset but a wee historical fact for you.

In WW1 and WW2, New Zealand lost more men than any other country involved, per head of population

eg, per 1000 people in the country, we lost heaps.

I am not saying that to decry the efforts of people from any country, just pointing out a fact.

Sorry Adze, one last comment.

CW
    I have no idea in the world if you spelt the damn word right or wrong, I am not interested in American politics, well about as much as you are in New Zealand politics. As for the gambling comment, take a joke man.

Stereotype, good grief. what the heck was
    arrogance runs rampant in the UK and its Territories

Angry For God's sake

Monday is Nov the 11th.
    Go get a poppy and remember our fallen.

Truckie

No one should ever have the audacity to question the bravery of those from the UK, Australia, or New Zealand...
    For gallonspermin:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

IACOJ BOD

Brother I will be at the Returned Servicemans Association.

Wearing my poppy and my old unit patch with pride.

Forum Member

I too shall be at services on Monday. With my poppie and 2NDMARDIV patch................

RTF!!!!!!!!!

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

IACOJ BOD

And rightly so Drk.

Without the sacrifice of those Merchant Marines, the world would be a different place today. They created the lifeline that enabled England to hold out.

IACOJ BOD

Kia Kaha to 825 Kiwis currently serving on operations in 10 countries around the world.

Pacific

UNTAET UN Transitional Administration in East Timor
    PMG Peace Monitoring Group, Bougainville
    IPMT International Peace Monitoring Team, Solomon Islands

Africa

UNAMSIL UN Mission in Sierra Leone

Europe

SFOR Stabilisation Force, Bosnia and Herzegovina
    UNMOP UN Mission of Observers in Prevlaka, Croatia
    UNMIK UN Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo

Middle East

MFO Multinational Force and Observers, Sinai
    UNTSO UN Truce Supervision Organisation, Israel, Lebanon, Syria, and Egypt

Forum Member

Default On Veterans Day............

A big "GOD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU SAFE!" to my old unit, Sierra Battery, 5th Bn. 10th Marines, 2nd MARDIV. They are currently in Afganistan. GO PAIN BY STEEL RAIN!!!!!!(Bn. motto!)

I ask that all of you here in the states pressure your politicians to continue to increase funding for the VA hospitals and for higher disability compensation for veterans with service connected disabilities. These men and women LITERALLY gave of themselves so that we might remain FREE! For some of them VA disability is all they have to live on. Do not let them be forgotten when the politicians start to hack at the budget! Tell your representatives that we must never forget!!

FREEDOM IS NOT FREE!!

Forum Member

I for one am growing tired of crabby old LFB's anti-American statements. It isnt the first time. This "Cowboy" loves his country and the diverisity of having people of all the countries of the world as our ancestors. LFB....Dont be such a hater...You might even crack a smile once in awhile.

Thread Information